Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My 7 round Chiefs Mock

Default My 7 round Chiefs Mock

This is the first semi-mock draft I’ve done. I’m going to go seven rounds. I’ll present different options the Chiefs will have at different points throughout the draft.

This draft all starts with available talent. While we obviously want offensive linemen, the Chiefs need to resist the urge to reach just to fill a need.

In the first round, I see the Chiefs keeping their #5 pick and taking Sedrick Ellis. I think Dorsey will be gone and J. Long will probably be gone as well. In this scenario, the Chiefs make no trades during the entire draft. This draft will be called DRAFT A.

There is an option of trading out of the #5 pick. If we do so, I think we’re looking at trading down to the teems somewhere in the teens while picking up an additional 2nd and 3rd rounder. This scenario, where the Chiefs make some draft day trades will be called DRAFT B.

All player notes provided by NFLDraftCountdown.com

DRAFT A
    No trades:
    1. 5-DT Sedrick Ellis
    Strengths:
    Very quick with a great first step...Very strong and powerful...A terrific pass rusher with the burst to close...Athletic with good speed...Instinctive...Sheds blocks well and is able to beat the double team...Is technically sound when it comes to using his hands and understanding leverage...Has a non-stop motor...Tough and a very hard worker with top-notch intangibles...Has experience at both tackle positions.

Weaknesses:
    Doesn't have the ideal height or bulk that you look for...Has some minor durability issues...Might have some trouble holding his ground at the point against massive blockers...Limited schematically and probably won't be a perfect fit for every team.

Notes:
    Could be a prototypical three-technique at the pro level...Redshirted in 2003 after breaking his left ankle and missed some time in '06 with a knee injury..Productive, disruptive force in the middle..A better prospect than Mike Patterson was in 2005.
    2. 35-OT Gosder Cherilus
    Strengths:
    Has excellent size and a huge frame with long arms...Strong and powerful..Gets a great push as a run blocker...Decent athlete...Has nimble feet..Mobile and can get to the second level...Very smart with great awareness...Nice balance...He is stout at the point of attack...Once he locks on the battle's over...A hard worker with top intangibles...Has a ton of experience against top-notch competition...Offers some versatility..Hails from a program that's known for producing NFL offensive linemen.

Weaknesses:
    Has some trouble with speedy edge rushers...May lack a killer instinct..Has lapses with his leverage and will play too high at times...Most likely won't be a left tackle in the pros...Didn't have a great senior year..Had some minor off-the-field trouble.

Notes:
    Name is pronounced "GOZ-der SHARE-uh-luss"...Born in Haiti...A four-year starter in the ACC...Started 37 consecutive games at right tackle but he moved to the left side as a senior and had some struggles...Was arrested and charged with assault and battery in July of 2007 in connection with a bar fight, although Cherilus claims he was acting as a peacemaker...Not flashy but has the physical tools and should start almost immediately..Prototypical right tackle who should enjoy a long career.
    3. 66-CB Justin King
    Strengths:
    Smooth athlete...Good size and bulk...Outstanding speed with a burst...Fluid and flips his hips well...Quick and agile with excellent feet...Excellent hands...A reliable tackler...Has a lot of experience against elite competition...Very smart and a hard worker....Versatile and can also contribute as a return man...Has a ton of upside.

Weaknesses:
    Not very strong or physical...Struggles with big wideouts...Raw and needs a lot of work when it comes to technique..Has a long memory...Sub par ball skills and isn't much of a playmaker...Questionable awareness and instincts...Underachiever who does not play to his measurables...Might lack a fire in his belly...Workout Warrior?

Notes:
    Stepfather, Terry Smith, was a wide receiver at Penn State from 1988-91...One of the nation's premier recruits coming out of high school...Three-year starter in the Big Ten...Was able to graduate from college in just 35 months..Also saw extensive action at wide receiver early in his career...A finesse corner with all of the physical tools you look for but something seems to be missing...An enigma who could be a stud if the light ever comes on but he will need a lot of coaching..."Boom or Bust".
    4. 105-OT Barry Richardson
    Strengths:
    Outstanding size with a huge frame and long arms...Terrific athleticism...Very light on his feet...Great lateral mobility and range...Gets to the second level...Excellent pass blocker...Good body control...Once he locks on the battle's over...Has a lot of experience against big-time competition...Offers some versatility...Still has upside.

Weaknesses:
    Plays soft...Lacks a killer instinct and is not aggressive...Has to get stronger...Gets pushed around and doesn't play to his size...Poor technique and he does not play with good leverage...Gets caught reaching too often...Effort is pretty inconsistent.

Notes:
    Graduated from high school in just three years..A four-year starter at left tackle in the ACC...Held future #1 overall pick Mario Williams without a sack in '05...Classic case of a prospect who "Looks like Tarzan, Plays Like Jane"...Has all the physical tools you look for but is an underachiever...Could be a steal if some coach can get him to be more nasty but it's difficult to change a guys demeanor and personality.
    5. 136-WR Adrian Arrington
    Strengths:
    Smooth athlete...Nice size and bulk with long arms..Good hands and will make the spectacular catch...Great leaping ability and ball skills...Can do some damage after the catch..Tough...Will work the middle of the field...Still improving and has upside.

Weaknesses:
    Does not have great timed speed or quickness...Is not very explosive and lacks a burst...Needs to get stronger...Is not a great route runner...Lack of concentration leads to some drops...Questionable motor...Marginal blocker...Doesn't have a ton of experience...Was never the featured target in college...Has character concerns.

Notes:
    Would have had the opportunity to emerge from Mario Manningham's shadow as a senior in 2008 but chose to go pro early rather than try to adapt to the spread offense being installed by Rich Rodriguez...Was only a starter for about a season and a half...Has been suspended on more than one occasion and in 2006 he was arrested and charged with misdemeanor domestic violence following an argument with his girlfriend..Would have been much better off going back to Ann Arbor...Has some tools but his lack of speed and off-the-field issues will hurt him on Draft Day.
    6. 140-OG/OT Jerremy Zuttah
    Strengths:
    Good athleticism...Terrific speed and quickness...Extremely strong...Explosive and powerful...Mobile with nice range...Uses his hands well...Versatile with experience at multiple positions..Smart with good awareness and instincts...Great work ethic.

Weaknesses:
    Size and bulk are somewhat average...Doesn't have great footwork...Has trouble with speed...May be a 'tweener without a true pro position...Does not necessarily play to his workout numbers...Does not dominate opponents...Durability concerns.

Notes:
    Was a four-year starter for the Scarlet Knights...Has played both guard and tackle in college and could also project to center at the next level..Has missed some time with knee and ankle injuries...Opened some eyes with a standout performance at the Scouting Combine when he placed among the Top 10 offensive linemen in four events including the forty and bench press..Has starting potential but versatility is the hallmark of his game and that may allow him to at least be a valuable backup.
    7. 172-CB Jack Williams
    Strengths:
    A great athlete...Excellent speed and quickness...Outstanding leaper..Good hands and ball skills...Solid instincts and awareness..Reads and reacts well and he has a burst to close...Is very strong...Tough and physical...Gets a good jam at the line of scrimmage...Willing to come up and support the run..A hard worker...Team leader.

Weaknesses:
    Doesn't have the ideal size and bulk that you would prefer..Not real fluid when he flips his hips to turn and run...Had a sub par senior campaign...Durability might be a concern...Takes too many chances...Questionable return ability...Limited upside.

Notes:
    Battled ankle injuries as a senior and it affected to his play but to his credit he did not miss much action...Can't match his former teammate Usama Young in terms of triangle numbers but might be a better football player...Underrated prospect who is a lot better than his senior film would indicate...Prototypical nickel or dime back.
    8. 187-QB Brad Roach
    Last edited by texaschief; 04-03-2008 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post

Love it!

They don't make many good comadies like they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    They don't make many good comadies like they used to.

I don't know about that, I just watched "There's something about Mary" last night and it cracks me up every time!

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Well, I've been convinced. If the Chiefs can't find a trade partner to trade the #5 pick to, they're going to draft Matt Ryan.

From what i heard, the Chiefs like Croyle, but they like Ryan even more. For the most part, this decision is being driven by the OC and the old GM.

Apparently, Gailey liked what he saw from film of Ryan more than he liked film of Croyle. Also, with Peterson on the hot seat knows he needs to have a super draft to help extend his stay in KC. If they draft a perceived franchise QB like Ryan, it could buy Peterson a few more years to rebuild this team.

While I think this team is really close, the consensus seems to be that this Chiefs team needs at least another 2 or 3 years to rebuild.

While there are obvious needs on the line and on defense that need to be addressed, drafting a QB who will be handed the reins to the offense will create stability and a clear direction for the team. Also, in Ryan's scouting report, he is said to be a true and proven, natural leader...something i think this team desperately needs.

There is also something to be said about which positions actually deserve top 5 money....and QB is truly one of those positions.

I hope the Chiefs don't draft Ryan and are able to trade down, but seeing the top rated QB on that stage holding a #1 Chiefs Jersey would be pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Well, I've been convinced. If the Chiefs can't find a trade partner to trade the #5 pick to, they're going to draft Matt Ryan.

From what i heard, the Chiefs like Croyle, but they like Ryan even more. For the most part, this decision is being driven by the OC and the old GM.

Apparently, Gailey liked what he saw from film of Ryan more than he liked film of Croyle. Also, with Peterson on the hot seat knows he needs to have a super draft to help extend his stay in KC. If they draft a perceived franchise QB like Ryan, it could buy Peterson a few more years to rebuild this team.

While I think this team is really close, the consensus seems to be that this Chiefs team needs at least another 2 or 3 years to rebuild.

While there are obvious needs on the line and on defense that need to be addressed, drafting a QB who will be handed the reins to the offense will create stability and a clear direction for the team. Also, in Ryan's scouting report, he is said to be a true and proven, natural leader...something i think this team desperately needs.

There is also something to be said about which positions actually deserve top 5 money....and QB is truly one of those positions.

I hope the Chiefs don't draft Ryan and are able to trade down, but seeing the top rated QB on that stage holding a #1 Chiefs Jersey would be pretty cool.
    Hmmm...

I was right all along since you agree with me now.

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Guru said this too, butIcouldn't disagree more. Top-five money is more for a QB than any other position. And a top-five rookie QB often doesn't play for a full season, and also temds to be horrible for another season. Where is the value in that?

Any other position, you can expect them to start, and probably make in impact in those first two seasons, that are a waste for most QBs.

For me, seeing the top-rated QB on the stage, with a Chiefs jersey would be humiliating. It would signify that we will be filling our four open starting jobs (OL,OL,OL,CB) with more late-round prayers.

It would signify the beginning of a rebuiding process, that was supposed to have begun two years ago. This is Herms third draft. This will be his third season. That is when results are supposed to start showing. If the "results" of three years of Herm are a brand new rebuilding process, then I believe that that is what can be expected from Herm Edwards' career. An eternal rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Guru said this too, butIcouldn't disagree more. Top-five money is more for a QB than any other position. And a top-five rookie QB often doesn't play for a full season, and also temds to be horrible for another season. Where is the value in that?

Any other position, you can expect them to start, and probably make in impact in those first two seasons, that are a waste for most QBs.

For me, seeing the top-rated QB on the stage, with a Chiefs jersey would be humiliating. It would signify that we will be filling our four open starting jobs (OL,OL,OL,CB) with more late-round prayers.

It would signify the beginning of a rebuiding process, that was supposed to have begun two years ago. This is Herms third draft. This will be his third season. That is when results are supposed to start showing. If the "results" of three years of Herm are a brand new rebuilding process, then I believe that that is what can be expected from Herm Edwards' career. An eternal rebuild.
    The Chiefs are already showing "results" from his first two drafts which were geared toward fixing the worst ranked defense in the NFL. Now, if it takes him 2 more years to fix the worst ranked offense in the league, so be it.

The Chiefs are already showing "results" from his first two drafts which were geared toward fixing the worst ranked defense in the NFL. Now, if it takes him 2 more years to fix the worst ranked offense in the league, so be it.
    Five years to show real results? I don't think so. 4-12 is far from the "results" that I would be looking for.

Five years to show real results? I don't think so. 4-12 is far from the "results" that I would be looking for.
    Thank you.

Who didn't see this coming from years back?

Agreed.

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

I got nothing just whoring.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast