Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My 7 round Chiefs Mock

Default My 7 round Chiefs Mock

This is the first semi-mock draft I’ve done. I’m going to go seven rounds. I’ll present different options the Chiefs will have at different points throughout the draft.

This draft all starts with available talent. While we obviously want offensive linemen, the Chiefs need to resist the urge to reach just to fill a need.

In the first round, I see the Chiefs keeping their #5 pick and taking Sedrick Ellis. I think Dorsey will be gone and J. Long will probably be gone as well. In this scenario, the Chiefs make no trades during the entire draft. This draft will be called DRAFT A.

There is an option of trading out of the #5 pick. If we do so, I think we’re looking at trading down to the teems somewhere in the teens while picking up an additional 2nd and 3rd rounder. This scenario, where the Chiefs make some draft day trades will be called DRAFT B.

All player notes provided by NFLDraftCountdown.com

DRAFT A
    No trades:
    1. 5-DT Sedrick Ellis
    Strengths:
    Very quick with a great first step...Very strong and powerful...A terrific pass rusher with the burst to close...Athletic with good speed...Instinctive...Sheds blocks well and is able to beat the double team...Is technically sound when it comes to using his hands and understanding leverage...Has a non-stop motor...Tough and a very hard worker with top-notch intangibles...Has experience at both tackle positions.

Weaknesses:
    Doesn't have the ideal height or bulk that you look for...Has some minor durability issues...Might have some trouble holding his ground at the point against massive blockers...Limited schematically and probably won't be a perfect fit for every team.

Notes:
    Could be a prototypical three-technique at the pro level...Redshirted in 2003 after breaking his left ankle and missed some time in '06 with a knee injury..Productive, disruptive force in the middle..A better prospect than Mike Patterson was in 2005.
    2. 35-OT Gosder Cherilus
    Strengths:
    Has excellent size and a huge frame with long arms...Strong and powerful..Gets a great push as a run blocker...Decent athlete...Has nimble feet..Mobile and can get to the second level...Very smart with great awareness...Nice balance...He is stout at the point of attack...Once he locks on the battle's over...A hard worker with top intangibles...Has a ton of experience against top-notch competition...Offers some versatility..Hails from a program that's known for producing NFL offensive linemen.

Weaknesses:
    Has some trouble with speedy edge rushers...May lack a killer instinct..Has lapses with his leverage and will play too high at times...Most likely won't be a left tackle in the pros...Didn't have a great senior year..Had some minor off-the-field trouble.

Notes:
    Name is pronounced "GOZ-der SHARE-uh-luss"...Born in Haiti...A four-year starter in the ACC...Started 37 consecutive games at right tackle but he moved to the left side as a senior and had some struggles...Was arrested and charged with assault and battery in July of 2007 in connection with a bar fight, although Cherilus claims he was acting as a peacemaker...Not flashy but has the physical tools and should start almost immediately..Prototypical right tackle who should enjoy a long career.
    3. 66-CB Justin King
    Strengths:
    Smooth athlete...Good size and bulk...Outstanding speed with a burst...Fluid and flips his hips well...Quick and agile with excellent feet...Excellent hands...A reliable tackler...Has a lot of experience against elite competition...Very smart and a hard worker....Versatile and can also contribute as a return man...Has a ton of upside.

Weaknesses:
    Not very strong or physical...Struggles with big wideouts...Raw and needs a lot of work when it comes to technique..Has a long memory...Sub par ball skills and isn't much of a playmaker...Questionable awareness and instincts...Underachiever who does not play to his measurables...Might lack a fire in his belly...Workout Warrior?

Notes:
    Stepfather, Terry Smith, was a wide receiver at Penn State from 1988-91...One of the nation's premier recruits coming out of high school...Three-year starter in the Big Ten...Was able to graduate from college in just 35 months..Also saw extensive action at wide receiver early in his career...A finesse corner with all of the physical tools you look for but something seems to be missing...An enigma who could be a stud if the light ever comes on but he will need a lot of coaching..."Boom or Bust".
    4. 105-OT Barry Richardson
    Strengths:
    Outstanding size with a huge frame and long arms...Terrific athleticism...Very light on his feet...Great lateral mobility and range...Gets to the second level...Excellent pass blocker...Good body control...Once he locks on the battle's over...Has a lot of experience against big-time competition...Offers some versatility...Still has upside.

Weaknesses:
    Plays soft...Lacks a killer instinct and is not aggressive...Has to get stronger...Gets pushed around and doesn't play to his size...Poor technique and he does not play with good leverage...Gets caught reaching too often...Effort is pretty inconsistent.

Notes:
    Graduated from high school in just three years..A four-year starter at left tackle in the ACC...Held future #1 overall pick Mario Williams without a sack in '05...Classic case of a prospect who "Looks like Tarzan, Plays Like Jane"...Has all the physical tools you look for but is an underachiever...Could be a steal if some coach can get him to be more nasty but it's difficult to change a guys demeanor and personality.
    5. 136-WR Adrian Arrington
    Strengths:
    Smooth athlete...Nice size and bulk with long arms..Good hands and will make the spectacular catch...Great leaping ability and ball skills...Can do some damage after the catch..Tough...Will work the middle of the field...Still improving and has upside.

Weaknesses:
    Does not have great timed speed or quickness...Is not very explosive and lacks a burst...Needs to get stronger...Is not a great route runner...Lack of concentration leads to some drops...Questionable motor...Marginal blocker...Doesn't have a ton of experience...Was never the featured target in college...Has character concerns.

Notes:
    Would have had the opportunity to emerge from Mario Manningham's shadow as a senior in 2008 but chose to go pro early rather than try to adapt to the spread offense being installed by Rich Rodriguez...Was only a starter for about a season and a half...Has been suspended on more than one occasion and in 2006 he was arrested and charged with misdemeanor domestic violence following an argument with his girlfriend..Would have been much better off going back to Ann Arbor...Has some tools but his lack of speed and off-the-field issues will hurt him on Draft Day.
    6. 140-OG/OT Jerremy Zuttah
    Strengths:
    Good athleticism...Terrific speed and quickness...Extremely strong...Explosive and powerful...Mobile with nice range...Uses his hands well...Versatile with experience at multiple positions..Smart with good awareness and instincts...Great work ethic.

Weaknesses:
    Size and bulk are somewhat average...Doesn't have great footwork...Has trouble with speed...May be a 'tweener without a true pro position...Does not necessarily play to his workout numbers...Does not dominate opponents...Durability concerns.

Notes:
    Was a four-year starter for the Scarlet Knights...Has played both guard and tackle in college and could also project to center at the next level..Has missed some time with knee and ankle injuries...Opened some eyes with a standout performance at the Scouting Combine when he placed among the Top 10 offensive linemen in four events including the forty and bench press..Has starting potential but versatility is the hallmark of his game and that may allow him to at least be a valuable backup.
    7. 172-CB Jack Williams
    Strengths:
    A great athlete...Excellent speed and quickness...Outstanding leaper..Good hands and ball skills...Solid instincts and awareness..Reads and reacts well and he has a burst to close...Is very strong...Tough and physical...Gets a good jam at the line of scrimmage...Willing to come up and support the run..A hard worker...Team leader.

Weaknesses:
    Doesn't have the ideal size and bulk that you would prefer..Not real fluid when he flips his hips to turn and run...Had a sub par senior campaign...Durability might be a concern...Takes too many chances...Questionable return ability...Limited upside.

Notes:
    Battled ankle injuries as a senior and it affected to his play but to his credit he did not miss much action...Can't match his former teammate Usama Young in terms of triangle numbers but might be a better football player...Underrated prospect who is a lot better than his senior film would indicate...Prototypical nickel or dime back.
    8. 187-QB Brad Roach
    Last edited by texaschief; 04-03-2008 at 04:50 AM.

If the Jets get past the Steelers tomorrow and go to either New England or Indianapolis next weekend in a chartered jet, Herman Edwards will be sitting in the last row.

They lost.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    They lost.
    Was that the first round ??

Reading is fundamental HH
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Was that the first round ??

Reading is fundamental HH

Who said anything about the 1st round?

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    Herm isn't taking us any farther than we have already been in the last decade. Give me one statistic that shows that Herm is capable, just one.
    He won a playoff game in the last decade!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

He won a playoff game in the last decade!
    Against Peyton Manning?

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    Against Peyton Manning?
    that was not the question. Do I need to quote it again for you?

that was not the question. Do I need to quote it again for you?
    Granted wining a playoff game in the last decade is more than we've done, but he still won't get us a championship.

Personally I don't think we will get back to the playoffs while he's here though.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Really? You don't see ANY improvement on this team?

Kinda like losing a thousand dollars, but rejoicing because you recovered half of it. No, I don't see that as improvement. Because you are still down five-hundred.

Are you really THAT blinded by the 4-12 record? We all know the offense sucked which primarily led to that 4-12 record. But we also lost our RB and had horrible QB play to go along with a poor line. They also didn't have a #1 reciever the ENTIRE season.

Horrible o-line, no running game, poor offensive coordinator, and no no.1 WR, but go ahead and tell us how the QB should have done better with that.

Your Herm hating has blinded you if you think this team AS IS will be 4-12 again next season.

No chance. AS-IS, this team would likely get us an even better draft pick next season. You thought the o-line was bad last year, AS-IS we are down three of the better ones from that squad.

Your attitude toward the coach and the impatience most exude on this site is what is wrong with the modern day NFL fan. People saw what Jimmy Johnson did in 4 years and what John Gruden did in 1 year in Tampa and now if their team isn't in the Super Bowl after 2 years of a coaching change, they're ready for another one. It's just flawed thinking.

Like blindly supporting a proven loser? Somehow, you seem unable to blame Herm for his career of losing. Making excuses for every poor detail of his career, while shouting-out every positive. Where's the flawed thinking?

When coaches step in and immediately show improvement, it's usually because their predecessor has set them up with a solid roster thru previous drafts. (Unless it is Herm taking over. Then it just pure genious coaching.)

Now, the Chiefs right now, have the same opportunity to come close to what JJ did in Dallas by trading LJ. JJ brought back 6 picks for Herschell Walker. The Chiefs could bring back at least 3 for Johnson if they decided to trade him.(Good luck.) Johnson built that team thru the draft (which is what Herm is doing) but he was able to draft many more players at one time because of the trade.

It's just going to take longer to do a complete rebuild like the one the Chiefs are trying to do now.

The 2005 defense had to be rebuilt.
    DL:Allen, Sims, Browning, Dalton, Hicks
    LB: DJ, Barber, Mitchell, Bell
    DB: Surtain, McCleon, Wesley, Knight

3 starters remain. You POSSIBLY could make a case for keeping Mitchell, but he was never good here and he wasn't good enough to keep his job in NY.

The man opted for another team in free-agency, and somehow you get to spin in your favor by saying he wasn't good enough. Lol. Amazing. He was plenty good here too. But it is difficult to shine with an otherwise poor defense.

Surtain is old and should be replaced this year. If Vermeil/Peterson had drafted better, Herm/Peterson could've spent a little more time/money/picks helping that offense which was left in shambles.

Now, the 2005 offense:
    OL: Roaf, Shields, Waters, Wiegman, Bober/Sampson
    RB: LJ, Richardson
    TE: Gonzo
    WR: Kennison, Parker, Horn, Boerigter
    QB: Trent Green

Call me crazy, but trying to replace an injured Pro Bowl QB, 2 hall of fame OLinemen and your entire WR corp while trying to replace a center and also find a permanant RT doesn't happen over a one year or even a two year span while your trying to replace at least 9 starters on a defense that ranked dead last for most of the decade.

Again, perhaps if Vermiel/Peterson hadn't drafted so poorly this decade, there would've been sufficient depth to float the offense this past season. But there wasn't.

14 total draft picks is hardly enough to replace 9 defensive starters and 8 offensive starters. If this organization from Hunt to Herm is committed to building thru the draft, it's going to take more than 2 years. Before the process is complete, i'm sure it will be closer to the 4-5 year side.

The biggest thing you should look at right now though, is the fact that we're probably more than 75% finished rebuilding. Really? Show me.

We need at least:
    1 CB
    2 OL
    1 QB
    1 WR
    1 LB

That's 6 of 22 starting positions that we need to fill. That's AT LEAST MORE THAN 25%. But let's not forget that Herm emptied our K, and KR spots too. That's not a whole lot. This team isn't THAT far off. At least 5 of those needs should be filled this draft. Out of 10 picks, we should get AT LEAST 5 solid players.

The big glaring problem right now is obviously offense, but the offense will never show improvement without a solid Oline or a stable QB to lead them. Right now, the Chiefs have neither. Oh, here it is. I just knew you were going to show what a terrible situation our QB had, then rag on him later. This draft is kinda going to be like "the Chicken or the egg?" Do we go and get the solid franchise QB to lead to team or do we go get the Olineman he's going to need to be protected?

Either way, the Chiefs aren't going to show much improvement this year without both.

It all comes down to Brodie freakin Croyle.
    How about giving the man something to work with, before judging? Anything! An o-line, an experienced no.1 WR, a running game, an O-coordinator? Something.

Albeit, I really don't expect that Croyle will be the end-all, be-all to the Chiefs' QB situation, but I haven't seen him play in an NFL offense to know.

Most folks wanted him in last season, to give him a chance, but I was hoping that he wouldn't get much of a "chance" last season, because I knew that that wasn't really an opportunity, playing in that offense.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    How about giving the man something to work with, before judging? Anything! An o-line, an experienced no.1 WR, a running game, an O-coordinator? Something.

Albeit, I really don't expect that Croyle will be the end-all, be-all to the Chiefs' QB situation, but I haven't seen him play in an NFL offense to know.

Most folks wanted him in last season, to give him a chance, but I was hoping that he wouldn't get much of a "chance" last season, because I knew that that wasn't really an opportunity, playing in that offense.
    Eggsactly!

Excellent point!

I know there are a bunch of ppl on this site who don't like this guy, but this is the best 1st-4th round mock i've seen on the Chiefs yet this year. I don't like any of his picks after round 4, but i like 1-4 A LOT!!

By: Nick Athan
    Round #1 (7th Pick from New England)

CB Leodis McKelvin (Troy) - After making a trade with the New England Patriots the Chiefs slide down two spots and pick up the Patriots’ second third-round pick (#94). With this selection, Kansas City selects Troy cornerback Leodis McKelvin. He’s the best cornerback in this draft and defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham will be doing the happy dance.

The Chiefs need a shut down corner and with Patrick Surtain destined to become an expensive nickel back this year, Gunther Cunningham will secure one half of his dream to find two starters in this year’s draft.

Round #1 (22nd Pick from Dallas)

CB Aqib Talib (Kansas) – After trading their second round pick (#35), New England’s third-round pick (#94) and a 2009 fourth-round pick, Gunther Cunningham is on cloud nine as the Chiefs take the Kansas cornerback. Talib’s stock has fallen after recent news about a drug test he refused to take two years ago, but it’s never been any great secret. Talib becomes the second starting cornerback and the Chiefs have two potential lock down corners.

Round #2 (34th Pick)

OT Anthony Collins (Kansas) – The Chiefs wheeling and dealing continues. In a shocker, Kansas City trades Jared Allen to Atlanta for the Falcons’ three second-round picks (#34, #37 and #48). Allen gets his wish and becomes the highest-paid defensive end in the league while Collins, who some scouts believe will be the best left tackle to come out of this draft, needs a year of seasoning but is well worth the pick.

Round #2 (37th Pick from Atlanta)

OT Sam Baker (USC) –After taking Collins to play the left side, the Chiefs come right back and grab Baker, whose stock has been rising. He’ll start the 2008 season as the Chiefs starting right tackle.

Round #2 (48th Pick from Atlanta)

DE Quentin Groves (Auburn) – With Allen becoming a dirty bird, the Chiefs must fill a void on the defensive line. They land one of the premier college pass rushers to take Allen’s place. Groves is quick, strong and knows how to get to the quarterback. He’ll begin the season opposite Tamba Hali.

Round #3 (66th Pick)

C Mike Pollak (Arizona State) – There is a lot of talk about taking Kansas State wide receiver Jordy Nelson, but the sentiment is that Pollack is NFL ready and can start come opening day. Pollack fills the bill for the Chiefs who will open the season with Collins at left tackle, Brian Waters at left guard, Pollack at center, Damion McIntosh at right guard and Baker at right tackle. Works for me.

Round #4 (105th Pick)

WR Dexter Jackson (Appalachian State) – He broke the 4.4 barrier at the NFL combine and can flat out get down the field. He’s not at as physical as Nelson, but is the best receiver on the board at this point. He gives KC’s offense an element of true game-breaking speed. Some might compare him to Samie Parker, but he has much better hands.

Round #5 (136th Pick from Miami)

FB Owen Schmitt (West Virginia) – With Boomer Grigsby departing for Miami and Allen traded to the Falcons, the Chiefs need a crazy country boy. Schmitt is a masher who will hit anything in sight.

Round #5 (140th Pick)

TE Martin Rucker (Missouri) – His stock has fallen because most teams feel he can’t block at the NFL level. But there isn’t any question he can catch the ball. With Tony Gonzalez already hinting he might play only two or three more seasons, Rucker will have plenty of time to learn the game and develop into a solid if not spectacular tight end someday.

Round #6 (170th Pick)

DT Red Bryant (Texas A&M) – This fills another need for the Chiefs. With Tank Tyler on his way to becoming a full time starter, Gunther Cunningham needs another rotational player. Bryant could be much more than that. For some reason his stock is falling and Kansas City, who has found some gems on day two in the past, finds a player who might start in 2009.

Round #6 (187th Pick from Tampa Bay)

G Christopher McDuffie (Clemson) – He fits the mold of the big, strong interior offensive lineman that the Chiefs want to develop under Chan Gailey. McDufee is a project of sorts, but Kansas City has the luxury of giving him plenty of time to learn the position at the NFL level.

Round #7 (210th Pick)

WR Marcus Henry (Kansas) – I’m favoring my alma mater, but believe me when I tell you that Henry will be starting for the Chiefs by 2010, if not sooner. All he needs is a tutor like Chiefs wide receivers coach Eric Price and Henry will become something special. I’ve talked to numerous NFL scouts about Henry and they all tell me he has what it takes to make it in the big league. But he needs to land on the right team.

Round #7 (239th Pick from NY Giants)

RB Justin Forsett (California) – He might be small, but that matters little when you’re taking a flyer on someone in the seventh round. Forsett could be a candidate to be KC’s return man. He can also catch th

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast