Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 65

Thread: Meeting!!! Opening Day Tickets

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,343
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 29

    Default Meeting!!! Opening Day Tickets


    0 Not allowed!
    I would like to see if we can find a tiem to get everyone going to the opener on line sometime before Friday to discuss a few things!! Please let me know if we can all be on line on Friday at noon KC time!! I will be placing the order for tix that afternoon and i would like to have everyones input regarding prices, seating, tailgating etc...before I make the call!! Hope we can all be there!!
    Canada
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  2. #41
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    28,148
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 451

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    I talked to H about it earlier today. I have tried a new power cord and a bunch of other trouble shooting ideas, but nothing so far. the fans are working. My wife thinks it is the power source that is failing.
    That is what it sounds like to me. What kind of PC is it?


  3. #42
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RIGHT NEXT TO ARROWHEAD!
    Posts
    18,752
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    It was the first thing I learned. :)



    Do you know whether or not the fan in the back of your PC runs when you turn it on? The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps the power core (where the power cord plugs into the back of the computer) is going bad, causing your machine to over heat.

    hermhater??? or Guru???
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    I talked to H about it earlier today. I have tried a new power cord and a bunch of other trouble shooting ideas, but nothing so far. the fans are working. My wife thinks it is the power source that is failing.
    I told him that I believe the fan on his processors heat sink is going bad and not cooling the processor.

    When a processor burns up it smells like burning plastic (I call it the burning dirty diaper smell ).

    If the fan is not cooling the processor then the machine will automatically shut down to prevent it from burning up.

    I would mention that to whomever you take your computer to.

    If they replace that and test the machine at a load and it doesn't shut down that shouldn't cost you more than $100 for parts and labor.

    If the processor is shot it might cost a couple hundred dollars.

    If they try to charge you more than that then you are getting ripped off or went to Best Buy (which is the same thing!).

    On name brand computers they put really weak power supplies that can cause failures throughout the rest of your system.

    I would recommend getting at least a 450 Watt power supply to replace the one you have, even if the one you have is still good.

    That shouldn't cost you more than $120.
    Last edited by hermhater; 04-10-2008 at 10:37 PM. Reason: More info.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

  4. #43
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    28,148
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 451

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    I told him that I believe the fan on his processors heat sink is going bad and not cooling the processor.

    When a processor burns up it smells like burning plastic (I call it the burning dirty diaper smell ).

    If the fan is not cooling the processor then the machine will automatically shut down to prevent it from burning up.

    I would mention that to whomever you take your computer to.

    If they replace that and test the machine at a load and it doesn't shut down that shouldn't cost you more than $100 for parts and labor.

    If the processor is shot it might cost a couple hundred dollars.

    If they try to charge you more than that then you are getting ripped off or went to Best Buy (which is the same thing!).

    In which case it would probably be more cost effective to get a new PC. But, if the fan is running then isn't it doing what it's supposed to do under normal circumstances when there isn't the possibility of heat comming from another source?


  5. #44
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RIGHT NEXT TO ARROWHEAD!
    Posts
    18,752
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    In which case it would probably be more cost effective to get a new PC. But, if the fan is running then isn't it doing what it's supposed to do under normal circumstances when there isn't the possibility of heat comming from another source?
    The fan can be running but not at the correct RPM's which would not cool the processor enough hence the shutting down after a while as it continues to heat up.

    Also the more processes you have running on your computer will heat it up faster and make it shut down sooner.

    Does it shut down quicker if you play a movie, or run complex computations dealing with prime numbers?

    Also Chiefster is right about it might being cheaper to get a new computer.

    If you can get your data backed up off the old one and don't have to pay for someone else to remove the hard drive to get the data off. If they have to do it they generally will only grab the items from "My Documents" (I assume you are running Windows XP as you bought the computer more than 2 years ago) so let them know if you have data stored in other directories.
    Last edited by hermhater; 04-10-2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: More info
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

  6. #45
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    28,148
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 451

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    The fan can be running but not at the correct RPM's which would not cool the processor enough hence the shutting down after a while as it continues to heat up.

    Also the more processes you have running on your computer will heat it up faster and make it shut down sooner.

    Does it shut down quicker if you play a movie, or run complex computations dealing with prime numbers?

    Good point.


  7. #46
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RIGHT NEXT TO ARROWHEAD!
    Posts
    18,752
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Good point.
    Thanks!

    Isn't troubleshooting fun?

    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

  8. #47
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Killer City, KS
    Posts
    1,497
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    I told him that I believe the fan on his processors heat sink is going bad and not cooling the processor.

    When a processor burns up it smells like burning plastic (I call it the burning dirty diaper smell ).

    If the fan is not cooling the processor then the machine will automatically shut down to prevent it from burning up.

    I would mention that to whomever you take your computer to.

    If they replace that and test the machine at a load and it doesn't shut down that shouldn't cost you more than $100 for parts and labor.

    If the processor is shot it might cost a couple hundred dollars.

    If they try to charge you more than that then you are getting ripped off or went to Best Buy (which is the same thing!).

    On name brand computers they put really weak power supplies that can cause failures throughout the rest of your system.

    I would recommend getting at least a 450 Watt power supply to replace the one you have, even if the one you have is still good.

    That shouldn't cost you more than $120.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    In which case it would probably be more cost effective to get a new PC. But, if the fan is running then isn't it doing what it's supposed to do under normal circumstances when there isn't the possibility of heat comming from another source?
    Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    The fan can be running but not at the correct RPM's which would not cool the processor enough hence the shutting down after a while as it continues to heat up.

    Also the more processes you have running on your computer will heat it up faster and make it shut down sooner.

    Does it shut down quicker if you play a movie, or run complex computations dealing with prime numbers?

    Also Chiefster is right about it might being cheaper to get a new computer.

    If you can get your data backed up off the old one and don't have to pay for someone else to remove the hard drive to get the data off. If they have to do it they generally will only grab the items from "My Documents" (I assume you are running Windows XP as you bought the computer more than 2 years ago) so let them know if you have data stored in other directories.


    im such a .


    all that technology jibberish... my head is swimming with words! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhHHH!

    and chiefster im surprised you even understood that!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. #48
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,343
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 29

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    [quote=hermhater;80588]
    Does it shut down quicker if you play a movie, or run complex computations dealing with prime numbers?

    quote]

    I did shut down earlier when I tried to sync the triple helix worm thread into the dual core processor, but then when I factored the prime number compumegahyper link into the mainframe it evened out.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  10. #49
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    28,148
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 451

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    Thanks!

    Isn't troubleshooting fun?


    Yeah I love it.


    Canada, what kind of machine do you have and how long have you had it?


  11. #50
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,343
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 29

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    It is an HP Pavillion that I bought almost 2 years ago
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •