Thread: WR Dwayne Jarrett/USC

Default WR Dwayne Jarrett/USC

We've read all the scouting reports about how Jarrett is slow and will have such a difficult time getting seperation in the NFL, and then there's that USC WR attitude...It sure wouldn't work in K.C.!! Or could it? He might not be a sure-fire #1 WR in his rookie season, maybe never but what on earth could he do in the Red Zone?! Gotta love his college numbers: In only three seasons: 41 TDs and 216 catches,

Stop and think about it. It seems that every time the Chiefs attempt a pass within the twenty towards the end zone it's thrown to Tony G., but who else is there?
    Anybody remember a guy by the name of Marc Boerigter?

Well let's toss in some numbers as well, while we're on the subject...
    In 2006, K.C. finished the season ranked #3 in the red zone. Not bad, sitting behind S.D and Indy two pretty good teams. But the problem is with the number of possessions in the red zone.

S.D. and Indy both had 62 and K.C. visited the RZ only 48 times. Granted the TD % rate looked good as did the scoring %. But if the Chiefs are going to be visiting the red zone almost 15 fewer times, shouldn't they be scoring even that more TDs? Sure it only makes sense.

So before we go kicking Jarrett off to the side of the road, just stop and imagine him doing his thing in the end zone for the Chiefs. If that doesn't get your attention, think about him doing it with the Raiders along with Calvin Johnson!

NFL DRAFT PREVIEW

Not all are sold on USC’s Jarrett

Star receiver says his stellar college career should overshadow his poor sprint times.

By RANDY COVITZ

The Kansas City Star

As many as five wide receivers could be taken in the first round of the NFL draft. There’s little doubt Georgia Tech’s Calvin Johnson, who has size, speed and sure hands, will be first.
    But targeting the second and third wide receivers is a bit of a puzzle.
    Ohio State’s Ted Ginn Jr. is fast, LSU’s Dwayne Bowe is big and strong, and Tennessee’s Robert Meachem is a brilliant athlete.
    But where to peg Southern California’s Dwayne Jarrett?
    His 40-yard dash times at USC’s Pro Day were slow — 4.62 and 4.67. Some wonder whether he can get separation from NFL-level cornerbacks. Others question his work ethic.
    All Jarrett can do is cite his production.
    “Just look at my body of work,” Jarrett said. “I won a national championship as a freshman. Sophomore year, we went back and lost. And then we won the Rose Bowl.
    “I’ve been All-American two times, broke (almost) every record at USC, was fourth in NCAA history in scoring touchdowns. I had 41. So look at the film.”
    The film does not lie.
    Jarrett, a towering 6 feet 4 and 219 pounds, made some of the most remarkable catches in college football the last three years, including a memorable, one-handed grab, with one foot inbounds, for a 7-yard touchdown against Washington in 2005; and an amazing one-handed stab as part of a three-touchdown game against Notre Dame last year.
    Jarrett caught 70 passes for 1,015 yards and 12 touchdowns last season as a junior, capped by 11 receptions for 205 yards and two touchdowns in the 32-18 victory in the Rose Bowl against Michigan and the Wolverines’ Leon Hall, considered the top cornerback in the draft.
    Jarrett, playing at a school that produced Lynn Swann, Keyshawn Johnson and Johnnie Morton, finished his career ranked first in USC history in receptions, 216; second in yards, 3,138; and first in touchdown catches with 41, a Pacific-10 record.
    Most telling, Jarrett caught at least one touchdown pass in 25 of the 38 games he played.
    “Dwayne is a big, strong acrobatic receiver with great hands and is so difficult to defend,” said USC coach Pete Carroll. “He has a knack for making big plays … if you see him on the field, you see he is just so natural and gifted.”
    Not everyone is convinced. Some compare Jarrett to Mike Williams, a star receiver for USC’s 2003 national championship team who has been a huge disappointment after the Lions selected him with the 10th overall pick of the 2005 draft.
    “I don’t think Dwayne Jarrett has the skills today to get off the line of scrimmage against (high-)quality NFL corners,” said NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock. “He’s a great athlete, he runs better than Mike Williams, he’s nowhere near as stiff through the hips as Williams. He’s got great ball skills like a Larry Fitzgerald.
    “His question mark is going to be his speed and suddenness. How quick is he? Can he get off the line of scrimmage? Can he run away from NFL corners?”
    Jarrett distances himself from Williams but embraces the comparisons to Fitzgerald, the second overall pick from Pittsburgh in 2004 and a 2005 Pro Bowler with Arizona.
    “Mike did great while he was at USC,” Jarrett said. “But I think we’re two opposite players. The only thing we have in common is we went to the same school
    “I definitely like Larry Fitzgerald … his whole style of game, his body control, the way he goes up and gets the ball. I definitely model my approach after him.”
    Jarrett might realize his potential in the NFL if taken by the Tennessee Titans, whose offensive coordinator, Norm Chow, had the same job at USC during Jarrett’s first two seasons. The Titans have the 19th pick and need to replace Drew Bennett, a similar big target, who left in free-agency.
    “Coach Chow has definitely been a great mentor,” Jarrett said. “He’s one of the reasons I went to SC. I’d be happy to go there. I’d be happy to go anywhere. But just to be familiar with the system, that would be a great situation.”
    While he benefited from playing at USC with such talent as Heisman Trophy winners Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush as well as Williams and running back LenDale White (a second-round pick by Tennessee in 2006), Jarrett makes the argument that he might have put up even more impressive numbers at another school.
    “I know I played with a lot of talent,” he said. “But that made it harder for me to get my numbers up there. All those guys want the ball, and I still had to put my numbers up. So that speaks for itself.”

Nothing against Jarrett, but I would wait, until the second round, to draft a reciever. If he is still on the board, (very unlikely) then, "woo-hoo!", he'd be an incredible value.

I really like Ohio State reciever, Anthony Gonzales. I get the impression, repeatedly, that he is all about the game of football. I've read numerous reports of his understanding of the game and his knowledge of defenses. Many times, I've read about his "no nonsense" approach to his off-field workouts and his lifestyle.

Should we wind-up with Miamis second round pick, then there is a strong chance that he would be available. With a work ethic, like Gonzales', he has as good a chance, as anybody, to be successful, in the NFL, including Calvin Johnson. (Who clearly has all of the talent and size, that anyone could ask for.) My favorite Chiefs draft scenario is to find OT Joe Staley, in the first, then Anthony Gonzales in the early second.

We won't have to wait too much longer to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Nothing against Jarrett, but I would wait, until the second round, to draft a reciever. If he is still on the board, (very unlikely) then, "woo-hoo!", he'd be an incredible value.

I really like Ohio State reciever, Anthony Gonzales. I get the impression, repeatedly, that he is all about the game of football. I've read numerous reports of his understanding of the game and his knowledge of defenses. Many times, I've read about his "no nonsense" approach to his off-field workouts and his lifestyle.

Should we wind-up with Miamis second round pick, then there is a strong chance that he would be available. With a work ethic, like Gonzales', he has as good a chance, as anybody, to be successful, in the NFL, including Calvin Johnson. (Who clearly has all of the talent and size, that anyone could ask for.) My favorite Chiefs draft scenario is to find OT Joe Staley, in the first, then Anthony Gonzales in the early second.

That would be nice if, like you stated, he is still on the board.

jarrett is one of the best outthere.... i hope the jets can land him
    :character00112:

Quote Originally Posted by timbok View Post

There's going to be several teams vying for him. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by timbok View Post
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Me too.

Hahaha!!!