Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allen KC star article yesterday

Default Allen KC star article yesterday

Chiefs evasive about Allen’s status

By KENT BABB

The Kansas City Star

A day after Jared Allen hit the trading block, the Chiefs played defense.
    President/general manager Carl Peterson and coach Herm Edwards dodged questions Friday about a possible trade that could end Allen’s time in Kansas City.

NO BALLS!!!

Both men said no move is imminent and, as of Friday afternoon, Allen’s status had not changed.
    But Peterson was reminded that he said in October the Chiefs “will not lose Jared Allen.” He offered a different version Friday.
    “He will be a Chief if we want him to be a Chief,” Peterson said.

Well Carl, we want him to be a Chief you son of a b**ch.

As of Friday, no one at Arrowhead Stadium would answer whether that’s what the team wants and is willing to pay for, particularly beyond this season.
    The Chiefs designated Allen, an All-Pro defensive end who was the NFL sack leader last season with 15 1/2 , their franchise player in February — further indication the sides are no closer to a long-term contract than they were a year ago, when Allen first said he wanted out of Kansas City.
    Allen, 26, met Friday with Minnesota Vikings officials. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers also are interested in acquiring Allen.

“At this particular point,” Peterson said, “nothing has been done. Continuing to talk about it over the next 24, 48 hours is just pure speculation.”

Waiting on you Carl.

Peterson said the Chiefs have had contract talks this offseason with Allen.
    Under the NFL’s rules for nonexclusive franchise players, Allen can entertain offers from other teams until July 15, the end of the free-agency period. Allen has said if the Chiefs do not sign him to a multiyear deal by then, he would not sign any future contract to remain in Kansas City.
    In the meantime, other teams could offer Allen a deal. If another team makes an offer, the Chiefs could match it. If the Chiefs pass, Allen’s new team would owe the Chiefs two first-round draft picks. A trade, however, could alter that arrangement.
    Minnesota has the 17th overall pick, and Tampa Bay has the 20th. Acquiring one of those choices would give the Chiefs, who hold the No. 5 overall pick, two selections among the top 20.
    Edwards said the Chiefs are in a position in which they need as many draft choices as they can get. He said the Chiefs need to draft at least five starters; as of this weekend, Kansas City will have 10 picks in next weekend’s draft.
    “We’re looking at it, going: OK, what’s best for the team in the long run?” Edwards said. “If that takes place, what you’re really doing is trying to acquire more players.
    “If you ever do a deal like that — if you have a player like him who is a good player — you’re going to have to put yourself in position to get some players who are capable. That’s always the hard decision you’re trying to make.”

No sh!t, idiot. What capable players are you looking for? More draft picks for UNPROVEN college talent?

Edwards also said an Allen trade would affect the Chiefs’ draft strategy. The team might need insurance at defensive end, to go along with the many other holes it hopes to fill next weekend and beyond.
    “We have a lot of needs,” Edwards said.

Because you and Carl can't manage a football team.

Edwards said any trade would not be influenced by Allen’s past transgressions with the team or the law. Allen asked for a trade last winter after the sides failed to reach a contract agreement. He was arrested twice in 2006 for drunken driving and was suspended two games.
    Citing those concerns, the Chiefs tendered Allen a one-year contract that paid him $2.35 million in 2007. If Allen remains in Kansas City in 2008 as the team’s franchise player, he would make $8.9 million, the average salary of the NFL’s highest-paid defensive ends.
    Allen has said he wants a deal that would pay him at least as much as the Colts’ Dwight Freeney, the league’s top-paid end. Freeney signed a contract last summer worth $72 million, including $30 million in guarantees.

...and he deserves it.

Peterson was asked Friday whether the Chiefs would match another team’s offer for Allen.
    “I don’t know,” he said.
    He then was asked whether he thought Allen would play for the Chiefs in 2008.
    “I don’t know,” Peterson said.
    He said he wanted to change the subject, away from Allen’s future in Kansas City and toward the draft. But if a deal happens in the next week, one probably would affect the other.
    “We’ll see what happens,” Peterson said. “At this point, nothing has happened. Right now, he is a Chief.”

You'd better not screw this up Carl. If you do, WE(or the majority of us) will be calling for your head. Herm WILL follow you right out the front door. There is no team, there is no BUSINESS without us.

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

This whole thing is a joke.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by royalswin100games View Post
    Chiefs evasive about Allen’s status

By KENT BABB

The Kansas City Star

A day after Jared Allen hit the trading block, the Chiefs played defense.
    President/general manager Carl Peterson and coach Herm Edwards dodged questions Friday about a possible trade that could end Allen’s time in Kansas City.

NO BALLS!!!

Both men said no move is imminent and, as of Friday afternoon, Allen’s status had not changed.
    But Peterson was reminded that he said in October the Chiefs “will not lose Jared Allen.” He offered a different version Friday.
    “He will be a Chief if we want him to be a Chief,” Peterson said.

Well Carl, we want him to be a Chief you son of a b**ch.

As of Friday, no one at Arrowhead Stadium would answer whether that’s what the team wants and is willing to pay for, particularly beyond this season.
    The Chiefs designated Allen, an All-Pro defensive end who was the NFL sack leader last season with 15 1/2 , their franchise player in February — further indication the sides are no closer to a long-term contract than they were a year ago, when Allen first said he wanted out of Kansas City.
    Allen, 26, met Friday with Minnesota Vikings officials. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers also are interested in acquiring Allen.

“At this particular point,” Peterson said, “nothing has been done. Continuing to talk about it over the next 24, 48 hours is just pure speculation.”

Waiting on you Carl.

Peterson said the Chiefs have had contract talks this offseason with Allen.
    Under the NFL’s rules for nonexclusive franchise players, Allen can entertain offers from other teams until July 15, the end of the free-agency period. Allen has said if the Chiefs do not sign him to a multiyear deal by then, he would not sign any future contract to remain in Kansas City.
    In the meantime, other teams could offer Allen a deal. If another team makes an offer, the Chiefs could match it. If the Chiefs pass, Allen’s new team would owe the Chiefs two first-round draft picks. A trade, however, could alter that arrangement.
    Minnesota has the 17th overall pick, and Tampa Bay has the 20th. Acquiring one of those choices would give the Chiefs, who hold the No. 5 overall pick, two selections among the top 20.
    Edwards said the Chiefs are in a position in which they need as many draft choices as they can get. He said the Chiefs need to draft at least five starters; as of this weekend, Kansas City will have 10 picks in next weekend’s draft.
    “We’re looking at it, going: OK, what’s best for the team in the long run?” Edwards said. “If that takes place, what you’re really doing is trying to acquire more players.
    “If you ever do a deal like that — if you have a player like him who is a good player — you’re going to have to put yourself in position to get some players who are capable. That’s always the hard decision you’re trying to make.”

No sh!t, idiot. What capable players are you looking for? More draft picks for UNPROVEN college talent?

Edwards also said an Allen trade would affect the Chiefs’ draft strategy. The team might need insurance at defensive end, to go along with the many other holes it hopes to fill next weekend and beyond.
    “We have a lot of needs,” Edwards said.

Because you and Carl can't manage a football team.

Edwards said any trade would not be influenced by Allen’s past transgressions with the team or the law. Allen asked for a trade last winter after the sides failed to reach a contract agreement. He was arrested twice in 2006 for drunken driving and was suspended two games.
    Citing those concerns, the Chiefs tendered Allen a one-year contract that paid him $2.35 million in 2007. If Allen remains in Kansas City in 2008 as the team’s franchise player, he would make $8.9 million, the average salary of the NFL’s highest-paid defensive ends.
    Allen has said he wants a deal that would pay him at least as much as the Colts’ Dwight Freeney, the league’s top-paid end. Freeney signed a contract last summer worth $72 million, including $30 million in guarantees.

...and he deserves it.

Peterson was asked Friday whether the Chiefs would match another team’s offer for Allen.
    “I don’t know,” he said.
    He then was asked whether he thought Allen would play for the Chiefs in 2008.
    “I don’t know,” Peterson said.
    He said he wanted to change the subject, away from Allen’s future in Kansas City and toward the draft. But if a deal happens in the next week, one probably would affect the other.
    “We’ll see what happens,” Peterson said. “At this point, nothing has happened. Right now, he is a Chief.”

You'd better not screw this up Carl. If you do, WE(or the majority of us) will be calling for your head. Herm WILL follow you right out the front door. There is no team, there is no BUSINESS without us.
    I've been doingt that for years.

i will get blasted for this, but, Allen does not deserve Dwight Freeney money. I love him and all. I think he deserves a large contract wherever he ends up, but he should not be the top paid defensive player in the league. That is what he wants.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    i will get blasted for this, but, Allen does not deserve Dwight Freeney money. I love him and all. I think he deserves a large contract wherever he ends up, but he should not be the top paid defensive player in the league. That is what he wants.
    A valid point; my thing is that I have a haed time believing that Carl has done all he can to keep him here, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    I don't know about that Guru.

It turns out that pass rushing was the only thing that could beat the Pats.

It's a pretty dang important part of any teams strengths!
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

The only issue I ever had with Jared, is he wasn't spectacular at stopping the run. Not saying he never did, but I saw him whiff at the RB sometimes. Other than that, he was perfect.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    The only issue I ever had with Jared, is he wasn't spectacular at stopping the run. Not saying he never did, but I saw him whiff at the RB sometimes. Other than that, he was perfect.

Again, he is a pass rusher, and that is vital.

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    He has come a long way since the beginning of his career. His first couple of seasons, I would say that he was aweful against the run. But in the past two seasons, he has become a real beast in that regard.

Teams run the risk of a fumble, whenever they choose to run at him. He is always near the football the past two seasons.

But obviously, his biggest value is still as a pass-rusher.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    He has come a long way since the beginning of his career. His first couple of seasons, I would say that he was aweful against the run. But in the past two seasons, he has become a real beast in that regard.

Teams run the risk of a fumble, whenever they choose to run at him. He is always near the football the past two seasons.

But obviously, his biggest value is still as a pass-rusher.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, he was still one of the best run stoppers on the team, I think the only one better on the line was Hali. Johnson was very good as well. I'm just saying I think he could be better!
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast