Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So much for that "Poison Pill" rule! Talk about overpaid!!!!!!!

Default So much for that "Poison Pill" rule! Talk about overpaid!!!!!!!

Sources: Chiefs agree to send franchise player Allen to Vikes

After The Rush

The Vikings better hope that Jared Allen doesn't suffer the same fate as every other sack champion recently. They have all posted fewer sacks the year after winning the crown.

YearPlayer, TeamSacksNext year2007Jared Allen, KC15.5?2006Shawne
    Merriman, SD1712.52005Derrick
    Burgess, OAK16112004Dwight
    Freeney, IND16112003Michael
    Strahan, NYG18.542002Jason
    Taylor, MIA18.5132001Michael
    Strahan, NYG22.5112000La'Roi
    Glover, NO178
    Jared Allen, the franchise player for the Kansas City Chiefs, is heading to a new franchise, the Minnesota Vikings, according to multiple sources.
    Late Tuesday night, the Chiefs and the Vikings reached an agreement on a trade package, and at roughly the same time, Allen reached an agreement in principle on a contract with the Vikings. Upon reaching the contract agreement, Allen headed to the airport and left for Minnesota.
    The Kansas City Star reported on Tuesday night that Allen agreed to one of the largest contracts for a defensive player -- six years for almost $74 million with more than $31 million guaranteed.
    Sources said the Vikings included a second third-round pick (No. 73) in the 2008 draft to get the deal done. They had been offering a No. 1 pick (17th in the first round) and a No. 3 (No. 82). The teams also swapped spots in the sixth round with the Vikings getting a better spot in the sixth round, sources said.

Allen, a fourth-year defensive end out of Idaho State, led the league in sacks last season with 15½.

The Chiefs, who are trying to get younger, now have the fifth pick in the first round and presumably the Vikings pick, which is the 17th. Allen had made it clear to the Chiefs that he wouldn't sign a long-term deal with the team.

Now, the Chiefs can use the fifth pick in the first round to find a pass-rushing replacement, either Vernon Gholston of Ohio State or Chris Long of Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by royalswin100games View Post
    Their D line is pretty solid.

Not that I like the Vikings or hope they make it past the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs.
    $30 million guaranteed and 3 picks????????? Who did they get, Lawrence Taylor?????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    Your out of your mind bro if you don't think they overpaid for him!!!! $74 miilion??????????????????????????????????????????? ????? We'll see how they feel when they get bumped in the 1st or 2nd round next year!!

I won't argue with you about being out of my mind, we all know I'm slightly out there, but Jared deserves every penny.

I love the fact that he got that extra $69 in his guaranteed $31,000,069 money!

That just cracks me up!

If there were just one or two spots that would send the Chiefs to the playoffs, are you saying you wouldn't pay a player that much to get you there?
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

$30 million guaranteed and 3 picks????????? Who did they get, Lawrence Taylor?????????????????
    He's only 26, he's arguably the best DE in the league, and he probably hasn't hit his ceiling yet. The dude can play. DE is a valuable position in the NFL.

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    I won't argue with you about being out of my mind, we all know I'm slightly out there, but Jared deserves every penny.

I love the fact that he got that extra $69 in his guaranteed $31,000,069 money!

That just cracks me up!

If there were just one or two spots that would send the Chiefs to the playoffs, are you saying you wouldn't pay a player that much to get you there?
    Not $30 million guaranteed.

He's only 26, he's arguably the best DE in the league, and he probably hasn't hit his ceiling yet. The dude can play. DE is a valuable position in the NFL.
    I understand that but not at that cost IMO.

I understand that but not at that cost IMO.
    Think about this,

JA gets double teamed constantly with us and leads the league in sacks. He does not take a play off.

Now he's got Kevin and Pat Williams to take pressure off of him. That is scary.

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

Think about this,

JA gets double teamed constantly with us and leads the league in sacks. He does not take a play off.

Now he's got Kevin and Pat Williams to take pressure off of him. That is scary.

Very scary.

I'm glad we aren't playing MN next year.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

$30 million guaranteed and 3 picks????????? Who did they get, Derrick Thomas????????????????
    FYP!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Jared Allen is worth a lot...I don't have a problem with the pay day, I just find it ironic that they'll pay him this money and will likely lose other valuable free agents of their own over the next year or two because of the amount of salary cap space owed to two star players (Jared Allen and Steve Hutchinson)...they also have a stud running back who'll command top dollar in 2-3 years when his rookie contract runs out.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Jared Allen is worth a lot...I don't have a problem with the pay day, I just find it ironic that they'll pay him this money and will likely lose other valuable free agents of their own over the next year or two because of the amount of salary cap space owed to two star players (Jared Allen and Steve Hutchinson)...they also have a stud running back who'll command top dollar in 2-3 years when his rookie contract runs out.
    Who knows, they might just get to the Super Bowl now with Jared.

And the Chiefs will be there waiting to pass all over their sorry asses!

Herm said it, you have to be able to pass to win in this game.

Now if we could just get him to do it more.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast