Thread: Accountability: Quotes From Bob Karmelowicz

Default Accountability: Quotes From Bob Karmelowicz

Tell me this doesn't burn you up? Are they (Chiefs) serious? Can this type of draft mismanagement actually be occurring?!

A former Chiefs assistant on Saturday accused the organization of ignoring “red flags” that could’ve prevented the draft busts that led to the team’s current talent shortage at defensive tackle.

Bob Karmelowicz, a Chiefs assistant during 1997-05, said he sensed the team was making a mistake by using such high draft picks on the players — particularly Freeman and Siavii.

“Junior and Eddie were both good kids,” said Karmelowicz, who worked with the defensive line. “But they had social issues. They were too high-maintenance. You can’t take ‘projects’ in the second round. It shouldn’t have happened.”

Karmelowicz said Siavii’s line coach at Oregon, Steve Greatwood, was a former assistant for the St. Louis Rams and was friends with then-Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil.

“Dick fell in love with the kid and the recommendation,” Karmelowicz said. “He had had some serious drinking issues (in college) that we just gave him a passing grade on. When I ran my reports on him, there was always a question of maturity and toughness.”

Karmelowicz said he could see from watching Siavii’s film that physicality might be a problem.

“As a position coach you can only say so much, but he had never played a tough brand of football,” Karmelowicz said. “If you hit him in the mouth, he was going to blink. But we ended up taking someone’s word that he was tough.”

Karmelowicz said former defensive coordinator Greg Robinson “fell in love” with Freeman at the Senior Bowl. The Chiefs sent vice president of football operations Lynn Stiles to Alabama-Birmingham to meet with Freeman. The two went out to eat — but Freeman was never asked to work out, according to Karmelowicz. Messages left Saturday night for Stiles went unreturned.

“I guess he was a good dinner date,” Karmelowicz said. “No one ever worked Eddie out. We never watched a film of Eddie working out. All Stiles did was take him out to dinner. Maybe we should’ve done a more thorough job.”

On the morning of the draft, Karmelowicz said, he didn’t expect the Chiefs to select Freeman. But a player the Chiefs were targeting — Karmelowicz wouldn’t say who — was taken just before Kansas City was set to pick.

“Most people were dying to go with someone else,” Karmelowicz said. “But Eddie was the highest-rated player left in the draft at all positions. Time was running out, so we just ended up taking him based on where he was rated on the board. Based on that, he was the only option. The board drafted Eddie Freeman.”

Karmelowicz said Freeman arrived at training camp with medical problems that had gone unnoticed. He said he had problems with “lower body stiffness” along with “classroom issues” and “social issues” that made Freeman difficult to coach.
    Those things, Karmelowicz said, would’ve been detected had the Chiefs done better research.

“With Eddie there were opportunities to discover red flags,” Karmelowicz said, “and we didn’t discover them.”

Karmelowicz didn’t seem bothered that Freeman said he wasn’t “developed.”
    “That’s like me saying that I could learn to slam dunk if someone would just work with me,” Karmelowicz said. “We both know it’s not going to happen. Eddie was one tough cookie, and he tried real hard. But there’s a reason he’s not playing anymore.”

I realize this is a very busy time for the Chiefs and all, but shouldn't either or both Carl Peterson and Clark Hunt address this issue?
    Last edited by Cisco Kid; 04-23-2007 at 05:20 AM.

Accountability on this subject resides with you the fan as well!
    Oh no, NO FREE PASS!!!

This message board is your voice! Please take a few minutes out and document your feelings on this topic. Even if you are just a passer-by to the site, log in and voice your thoughts...You are a Chiefs fans aren't you?!

Bring it!!!

Cisco Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    Accountability on this subject resides with you the fan as well!
    Oh no, NO FREE PASS!!!

This message board is your voice! Please take a few minutes out and document your feelings on this topic. Even if you are just a passer-by to the site, log in and voice your thoughts...You are a Chiefs fans aren't you?!

Bring it!!!

Cisco Kid

Excellent point Cisco! However, I doubt that Chiefs management pays any attention to this board.

As a long time fan my initial reaction is: well, that's Carl for ya, and yes this particular issue should be addressed. It should have been addressed then, but wasn't. I'm hoping that the one thing Herm will do is pay particular attention to character issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Excellent point Cisco! However, I doubt that Chiefs management pays any attention to this board.

As a long time fan my initial reaction is: well, that's Carl for ya, and yes this particular issue should be addressed. It should have been addressed then, but wasn't. I'm hoping that the one thing Herm will do is pay particular attention to character issues.

LOL!! If I thought for one minute the Chiefs management (Carl Peterson) was following this message board, I won't be posting here! Peterson might be a sharp businessman, but that is where the compliments end. Rather this was intended solely for us of the fans to speak out on this unbelievable annual expression of foolish pride at the expense of the team and fans.

If this information was about the inter working of the Detroit Lions, we would all just shake out collectives heads and laugh. But for some unexplainable reason, when it comes to the Chiefs this type of info is just ignored. Why is that? Where is Jason Whitlock when you need him (eating a cow), if this were any other team, heads would roll and fans would be outraged. Please, someone put Clark Hunt on the Hot Seat about this and get the fire turned up so high he'll have to fire Peterson!! Just stupid.

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

the only way fans get a voice is by buying tickets and merchandice. this will hurt the hunts were it hurts,the pocketbook. but unless we go several years of 6-10`s or worse, the stadium will fill and stuff willbe bought. but everyear the chiefs win just enough games to make use beg for more.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Smile

LOL!! If I thought for one minute the Chiefs management (Carl Peterson) was following this message board, I won't be posting here! Peterson might be a sharp businessman, but that is where the compliments end. Rather this was intended solely for us of the fans to speak out on this unbelievable annual expression of foolish pride at the expense of the team and fans.

Hee, Hee, I am watching this board, Hee hee, do you think I care what you miserable fans Think, Do You? Hee Hee When it is all over I will sing in your faces, "I did it My Way"!! (grin)

:character00293: I'm coming after you Carl!!
    Go Chiefs Eleven, win
    in 2007!!:fighting0068:

If this information was about the inter working of the Detroit Lions, we would all just shake out collectives heads and laugh. But for some unexplainable reason, when it comes to the Chiefs this type of info is just ignored. Why is that? Where is Jason Whitlock when you need him (eating a cow), if this were any other team, heads would roll and fans would be outraged. Please, someone put Clark Hunt on the Hot Seat about this and get the fire turned up so high he'll have to fire Peterson!! Just stupid.

LOL!!! ...with a barrel of KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    LOL!!! ...with a barrel of KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce.

Yep, That is Jason for you, he puts KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce on everything, even crow. (grin)

:woody11: :smilies_sport15: :character00257:
    Go Chiefs Eleven, win
    in 2007!!:fighting0068:

Quote Originally Posted by kenny1937 View Post
    Yep, That is Jason for you, he puts KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce on everything, even crow. (grin)

:woody11: :smilies_sport15: :character00257:

..When you can actually get him to do so.