Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AFC West draft grade ESPN

Default AFC West draft grade ESPN

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    It is difficult to be happy with this draft, when everyone and their mother knew that we had to get an OT, this was one of the best drafts I have ever seen for getting a starting OT, we led the NFL in sacks allowed, we had the worst running game in the NFL, both of our starting QBs were hurt last season, and our current head coach is a QBs worst nightmare.

Eveything pointed to us getting an OT out of this draft. Every planet, star, moon and comet was in the correct alignment for it to happen, and still Herm managed to put the issue on the back burner.
    Don't get me wrong guy, I'm not jumping on the Herm bandwagon.

I still think we should have gotten at least 2 more O linemen in the draft.

Crap this is too friggin' difficult to type.

I either have something stuck under my back arrow key on my keyboard, or the load I am putting on my computer right now is too great, because I am skipping back during typing and this has taken almost 7 minutes to type.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by royalswin100games View Post
    I will have to admit I was kind of bummed when the Bears took Chris Williams at #14 but hopefully Albert works out. From the highlights I've seen, he seems pretty quick for his size.
    Miracles do happen. But I can't stand that we keep counting on those miracles, when they haven't been happening.

We needed a starting OT, and there were several choices available to start the third round. We took three backups, instead of bothering to worry about those starting jobs.

I think we got "duped" into believing that it was the fourth round. Since the second day usually starts with the fourth round, and backup searches, we just started that trend a round early, and gave up on the third round.

It's kind of hard to be pissed about this pick when he's probably going to end up as one of the top 2 or 3 linemen taken from this draft.

I also don't think it's all the doom and gloom 31 makes it out to be.

What's the worst we're looking at right now? We don't have a RT? Maybe?

In the worst case scenario,:

McIntosh stays at LT
    Waters at LG
    Niswanger at C
    Albert at RG

and then we have to find a RT from a list of:
    Anthony Alabi
    Adrian Jones
    Travis Leffew
    Joe Lobdell
    Tre Stallings
    Will Svitek
    Herb Taylor
    Barry Richardson

I find it hard to believe we won't be better than last year with that line.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    It's kind of hard to be pissed about this pick when he's probably going to end up as one of the top 2 or 3 linemen taken from this draft.

I also don't think it's all the doom and gloom 31 makes it out to be.

What's the worst we're looking at right now? We don't have a RT? Maybe?

In the worst case scenario,:

McIntosh stays at LT
    Waters at LG
    Niswanger at C
    Albert at RG

and then we have to find a RT from a list of:
    Anthony Alabi
    Adrian Jones
    Travis Leffew
    Joe Lobdell
    Tre Stallings
    Will Svitek
    Herb Taylor
    Barry Richardson

I find it hard to believe we won't be better than last year with that line.
    May be able to find some more OL before training camp as well to compete for positions.

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

I think we are a bit better anyway. It might take a year or two more to get where we want to be.....where we have not been since.....38 years ago!

Overall, I would grade this draft as an A+...for some other team, with other needs that what we have. Now, we will be starting four DTs on our offensive line, and praying that we get a sack once or twice a month.

And our offensive line improved... slightly... maybe... maybe not. I imagine that QB will be our biggest hole to fill next draft, as we are unlikely to have one still alive by the end of this season.

While everyone else is welcome to accept the accolades of the "experts", All I can see is a defense that will never disturb a QB, and an offense that didn't change from leading the NFL in sacks.

I take the Branden Albert pick as "Here! Now shut the He77 up!" from Herm. And what he gave me is an OG that will have to play OT.

Has Herm ever had a QB stay healthy for a full season? Does he ever intend to?
    It's too bad that we didn't have 30 1st round draft picks this year. Then maybe you would have been happy with this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    Nice analysis texas!

I especially agree with this part above.
    I agree!

Brian Johnston

My favorite pick of this draft. For everything i hated about the Morgan pick, I love about this pick. He's another "wild card" from a small school. His measurables were incredible! If he gets invited to the combine, this kid is off the board by the 4th round. He fills a need and could push to start in a season or two. Tammie should fall in love with this guy. We couldn't get her guy in the 5th, but Johnston is cut from the same cloth as Jared Allen.

I truly hope that my guy is a bust for the falcons..... but I am happy with this pick too!! I wont call it love yet though!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    It's too bad that we didn't have 30 1st round draft picks this year.

That would have kicked ***!

I wonder what the most picks a team has ever had in the first round?
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

It is difficult to be happy with this draft, when everyone and their mother knew that we had to get an OT, this was one of the best drafts I have ever seen for getting a starting OT, we led the NFL in sacks allowed, we had the worst running game in the NFL, both of our starting QBs were hurt last season, and our current head coach is a QBs worst nightmare.

Eveything pointed to us getting an OT out of this draft. Every planet, star, moon and comet was in the correct alignment for it to happen, and still Herm managed to put the issue on the back burner.
    Don't forget to lump your boy Carl in with Herm. He ultimatley makes the final decision!!!!

The fact is that this is the best draft we have had in years. I'm not talking one player but overall! Albert will end up being one of the top lineman in this entire draft. Moving him to a different position isn't anything from the norm. It happens all the time! While I agree that we needed an outside tackle, at the same time, we needed someone to help create holes for Johnson and Charles to run through!!! This is a big key in my opinion. When you have one of the best backs in the league and that back is a north and south runner, no holes equals a 2007 result!! If we can create a few more holes maybe we get closer to a 2006 result which was a dominating year for Larry Johnson!!!!!!!
    Last edited by DrunkHillbilly; 04-28-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast