Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: AFC West draft grade ESPN

Default AFC West draft grade ESPN

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

That's almost comforting. But he made the switch at college, and then there's Leonard Davis.
    No Slater was moved from Tackle into Guard during college...then back to tackle in the NFL.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    No Slater was moved from Tackle into Guard during college...then back to tackle in the NFL.
    Yaeh, but he was an OT to begin with.

Either way, here is what I make of this draft.

Since it includes picks that were gained by trading J.A, I will compare what we looked like to start the offseason, to what we look like now.

For the sake of this argument, I will grant the rest of you the miracle that Dorsey will be an equal value to Jared, and I will just call that a push. (You're quite welcome.)

Therfore, we needed an OT, OG, CB, and WR all as starters. (Completely ignoring the gaping hole that we now have at DE.)

We got an OT/OG (More likely an OG who is going to be playing the wrong position), the CB we needed (Good job) and everthing else was just a gamble, or a backup.

So basically, we started drafting backups and long-shots (RB, TE, and S) before addressing our single biggest need, (OT) and one of the other starting jobs that many feel was open. (WR)

Now I want to bring up the fact that we no longer have anyone capable of generating a reasonably consistent pass-rush. And we didn't do anything to address that need either.

All the experts were just raving about what a great draft the Chiefs had. But it is pretty easy to make it look good with the 5th, 17th, and 36th overall picks.

And I don't think we drafted for this team. I think we drafted for a team that had some starting offensive linemen on their roster. This team doesn't.

Before the J.A. deal, every single one of us knew that we had to get an offensive tackle from this OT-rich draft class. Not a tough job at all. Especially since we gave away a top-notch defender to do it. And yet now, as if by the grace of God, we are all supposed to be happy that we didn't get that?

How about the fact that Herm just drafted two first-day DTs last season? Weren't they supposed to be "all that"? Now what? Even our one "big name" draftee is just replacing existing good players. Not filling any of the holes on the team, and if you consider the DE situation, it actually opened a new hole in our team.

O.K., one month ago... Holes at OT, OG, CB, WR. Now, holes at OT, WR, and DE.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234