Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AFC West draft grade ESPN

Default AFC West draft grade ESPN

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

Well I am happy with this draft but i am still wondering why we didnt take a chance and grab Colt Brennan or andre woodsen. I mean don't get me wrong I like Brodie Croyle and I am hoping he pans out like I think he could BUT what if he don't we could of had another young guy who can throw the ball like brennan. it's over and he's a redskin so i must move on and i guess thigpen showed some kind of skill as well. This draft will change our franchise quote me on that next year will be a dismal year of course but i have a feeling Dorsey will destroy the middle olines of many teams and our flowers is going to scare the hell out of WR's when he crushes them with a vicious tackle. im happy with the draft and looking forward to a great future in KC

I think Thigpen is the closest thing to a "future of the franchise" that we have in-house right now. I think it's important to establish our O-line before we start drafting QBs with high picks. If we're not going to spend a first or second on a QB, there's no point in drafting anyone else. Croyle is a 3rd rounder and hasn't had a real shot yet.

Once this line jells, and if Croyle or Thigpen don't work out, then let's look at QBs in the draft.

Dorsey is going to be a huge pickup for you guys...not only is he likely to be the most dominant defensive player out of this draft, he also fills a key need for the Chiefs. Although the loss of JA will smart, the fact is that the teams in your division are much more dangerous for their running games than their passers. With that being the case a dominant DT that can blow up the middle of the O-line and push them back a couple yards will go much farther than a dominant pass rusher.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I think Thigpen is the closest thing to a "future of the franchise" that we have in-house right now. I think it's important to establish our O-line before we start drafting QBs with high picks. If we're not going to spend a first or second on a QB, there's no point in drafting anyone else. Croyle is a 3rd rounder and hasn't had a real shot yet.

Once this line jells, and if Croyle or Thigpen don't work out, then let's look at QBs in the draft.
    I agree completely!!!
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    It's too bad that we didn't have 30 1st round draft picks this year. Then maybe you would have been happy with this draft.
    One would have worked, had it been used for an OT. Hell, all they had to do to win me with this draft was to take one of the OTs that we looked past with three straight third round picks, for some backups. Just one pick.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    Don't forget to lump your boy Carl in with Herm. He ultimatley makes the final decision!!!!

The fact is that this is the best draft we have had in years. I'm not talking one player but overall! Albert will end up being one of the top lineman in this entire draft. Moving him to a different position isn't anything from the norm. It happens all the time! While I agree that we needed an outside tackle, at the same time, we needed someone to help create holes for Johnson and Charles to run through!!! This is a big key in my opinion. When you have one of the best backs in the league and that back is a north and south runner, no holes equals a 2007 result!! If we can create a few more holes maybe we get closer to a 2006 result which was a dominating year for Larry Johnson!!!!!!!
    If Albert can become a great OT then I will wind-up liking this. But as of now, he is an OG.

The fact that we were able to ignore the biggest need on this team, in a draft that was bountiful at that position, while we had a high number of picks, is what baffles me.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    One would have worked, had it been used for an OT. Hell, all they had to do to win me with this draft was to take one of the OTs that we looked past with three straight third round picks, for some backups. Just one pick.

If Albert can become a great OT then I will wind-up liking this. But as of now, he is an OG.

The fact that we were able to ignore the biggest need on this team, in a draft that was bountiful at that position, while we had a high number of picks, is what baffles me.
    Hard to argue this point, only time will tell. If they are right and Albert converts to tackle they look brilliant...if not then you are correct that they failed to fill the primary need in a draft stocked full of talent at the Tackle position.

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Hard to argue this point, only time will tell. If they are right and Albert converts to tackle they look brilliant...if not then you are correct that they failed to fill the primary need in a draft stocked full of talent at the Tackle position.
    I have little doubt that they will force him to OT. But if he is less effective at OT than OG, it is a major waste. Just because someone is a starter in the NFL doesn't mean that they are any good. (Chris Terry) He has to be good at it, for it to work out.

As the season approaches, I will eventually get a better attitude about the whole thing, as my hopes will begin to overshadow my disdane. But for now, I am expecting a 2-14 season.

Just like lsat season, there will be some major "if"s. If Dorsey can generate some pressure from the inside... If Albert can become a good OT instead of OG...

But for now, I can plainly see that Dorsey is nowhere near the prospect that Sapp was, and that OTs convert to OGs in the NFL because it is an easier position to play. Rarely does a college OG successfully convert to a great NFL OT.

Maybe you could find me an example of that happening. It would make me feel a little bit better.

I think Herm is planning on taking some unsigned rookies to fill these positions.

I like the guys we got instead of the OT picks we should have taken, but either Herm doesn't want to spend picks on the O line in the draft or he is still trying to convert players to other positions and now he has chosen to make TE's OG's instead.

We are gonna pick up O linemen after the draft.

We might even be able to fill the O line up with the few that we have already signed.
    Last edited by hermhater; 04-29-2008 at 02:35 AM.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

I have little doubt that they will force him to OT. But if he is less effective at OT than OG, it is a major waste. Just because someone is a starter in the NFL doesn't mean that they are any good. (Chris Terry) He has to be good at it, for it to work out.

As the season approaches, I will eventually get a better attitude about the whole thing, as my hopes will begin to overshadow my disdane. But for now, I am expecting a 2-14 season.

Just like lsat season, there will be some major "if"s. If Dorsey can generate some pressure from the inside... If Albert can become a good OT instead of OG...

But for now, I can plainly see that Dorsey is nowhere near the prospect that Sapp was, and that OTs convert to OGs in the NFL because it is an easier position to play. Rarely does a college OG successfully convert to a great NFL OT.

Maybe you could find me an example of that happening. It would make me feel a little bit better.
    There was this guy named Jackie Slater that was moved in to Guard his senior year in college...

He became a HOF tackle in the NFL.

Info found at
    http://www.jackieslaterhof.com/bio.htm

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    There was this guy named Jackie Slater that was moved in to Guard his senior year in college...

He became a HOF tackle in the NFL.

Info found at
    http://www.jackieslaterhof.com/bio.htm

That's almost comforting. But he made the switch at college, and then there's Leonard Davis.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast