Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AFC West draft grade ESPN

Default AFC West draft grade ESPN

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

Yep we definitely got this one right!

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Glenn Dorsey:

Getting Dorsey essentially moves the talent we had on the defensive line to the interior while picking up a pair of 3rd round picks in the process. Getting Dorsey at 5 is something i never though could happen....but for some reason i seem to underestimate the stupidity of the upper management of the Oakland Raiders. Loaded at RB, they decide to draft a guy who's an off field risk and could possibly not be a RB who can carry the ball more than 20 times a game....The Chiefs got a guy who's a homerun threat just like McFadden in the 3rd round.
    Raiders, way to improve that 30th ranked run defense.

Branden Albert

Didn't think he'd be there at 15 to grab but he was. Still not thrilled about getting this guy yet. I still wanted Williams. For a team who could use 2 OTs decided to draft a career guard in the first round. I just don't like him yet. While I'm thrilled they got a first round OLineman and probably the best Olineman left in the draft, I'll just walk behind the "Branden Albert Bandwagon" before jumpin on just yet. I have no doubt that he'll start, i just think guards are a lot easier to find than LTs.

Brandon Flowers

It's great to know that at least one of our CB spots is taken care of for the long term after years of weak FAs signees. I really like physical CBs and this is probably the most physical CB to come out of the draft in years. I really like this guy.

Jamaal Charles

Awesome. I can't believe we got this guy in the 3rd round. There were plenty of times i wanted to say i really liked this guy, but i didn't want to go thru all the b.s. I'd get on this site about being UT biased, plus we still have Kolby Smith. But this guy is going to be a great compliment to LJ. For those who don't know, he's a world class sprinter and never went thru an offseason program due to his track obligations. Once he puts some size on, he's going to push LJ for his starting position. He will be the next great RB for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Brad Cottam

This guy looks like he'll be a great replacement for Jason Dunn. Great size. Seems to be the kind of receiver you could just toss the ball up to and say go get it. A big 6'7 target should be fun to throw to in the red zone and over the middle. 4th best TE in a weak TE class. This should go down as an OLine pick. He'll be in as a blocker a lot. Good pick.

DaJuan Morgan

This is the one pick the whole draft that disappointed me. With Pollard, Paige, and Wesley already on the team, i think this pick should've been on the Oline. I don't like that it took till the 6th round to grab another lineman. That said, he's on the team and this could be a precursor to us trading Wesley to another team for perhaps some Oline help or a draft pick in 09. Who knows.

William Franklin

This guy should be a great compliment to Bowe. 4.37 is fast....REALLY fast. If this guy can catch the ball, i think our WR corp is complete with Bowe, Webb, Franklin and Sippio....oh and Darling.

Brandon Carr

And the "Brandon" parade continues....not that i care considering that's my name too. lol I love CBs. I imagine this guy will compete with Brack for the other CB spot while Surtain will be the nickel back. All i've ever heard about this guy is good stuff. I'm not sure why he fell as far as he did. Small school talent are always wild cards.

Barry Richardson

"Lack of a mean streak"...this seems to be the only knock on this guy. He was expected to be a 3rd or 4th round guy. Maybe it's just me, but i think this guy is going to make a strong push for that RT position.

Kevin Robinson

I hope he's worth the pick as a KR, cuz that's all he's gonna do on this team.

Brian Johnston

My favorite pick of this draft. For everything i hated about the Morgan pick, I love about this pick. He's another "wild card" from a small school. His measurables were incredible! If he gets invited to the combine, this kid is off the board by the 4th round. He fills a need and could push to start in a season or two. Tammie should fall in love with this guy. We couldn't get her guy in the 5th, but Johnston is cut from the same cloth as Jared Allen.

Mike Merritt

This guy is really big and reminds me of when Brian Waters was moved from TE to guard. Don't be shocked if the same thing happens with this guy.

Overall, i think the Chiefs dominated this draft. But, they needed to. I think 11/12 guys are solid picks in theory with the exception of Robinson. Day one was amazing and day two was solid. I think we'll see some really good players come out of this draft. I think this will set this team up for a great draft next year where we should be able to complete the rebuild and complete for a title as soon as 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    DaJuan Morgan

This is the one pick the whole draft that disappointed me. With Pollard, Paige, and Wesley already on the team, i think this pick should've been on the Oline. I don't like that it took till the 6th round to grab another lineman. That said, he's on the team and this could be a precursor to us trading Wesley to another team for perhaps some Oline help or a draft pick in 09. Who knows.

Nice analysis texas!

I especially agree with this part above.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Right after we picked morgan I was shocked..... but after looking into this guy I am excited. He has great play reading instict. I think that pollard may be in trouble. this kid can hit just as well and will be the cover safety that pollard seems to lack. I may be a year or two before he gets the job but i think he comes in on special teams and immediately makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Glenn Dorsey:

Getting Dorsey essentially moves the talent we had on the defensive line to the interior while picking up a pair of 3rd round picks in the process. Getting Dorsey at 5 is something i never though could happen....but for some reason i seem to underestimate the stupidity of the upper management of the Oakland Raiders. Loaded at RB, they decide to draft a guy who's an off field risk and could possibly not be a RB who can carry the ball more than 20 times a game....The Chiefs got a guy who's a homerun threat just like McFadden in the 3rd round.
    Raiders, way to improve that 30th ranked run defense.

I like the guy alot. But, I still assume that we like our opponents' QBs, since this guy is now our form of pressure. If he comes up looking like Warren Sapp, then I'll be sold.

Branden Albert

Didn't think he'd be there at 15 to grab but he was. Still not thrilled about getting this guy yet. I still wanted Williams. For a team who could use 2 OTs decided to draft a career guard in the first round. I just don't like him yet. While I'm thrilled they got a first round OLineman and probably the best Olineman left in the draft, I'll just walk behind the "Branden Albert Bandwagon" before jumpin on just yet. I have no doubt that he'll start, i just think guards are a lot easier to find than LTs.

Imagine that, Herm is going to start a G at OT. See, while we appearently to love our opponents' QBs, we hate our own. So who needs OTs to protect him?

Again, I like this guy, but he is an OG that we will likely force to the outside.

Brandon Flowers

It's great to know that at least one of our CB spots is taken care of for the long term after years of weak FAs signees. I really like physical CBs and this is probably the most physical CB to come out of the draft in years. I really like this guy.

Great pick.

Jamaal Charles

Awesome. I can't believe we got this guy in the 3rd round. There were plenty of times i wanted to say i really liked this guy, but i didn't want to go thru all the b.s. I'd get on this site about being UT biased, plus we still have Kolby Smith. But this guy is going to be a great compliment to LJ. For those who don't know, he's a world class sprinter and never went thru an offseason program due to his track obligations. Once he puts some size on, he's going to push LJ for his starting position. He will be the next great RB for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Third string RB spot now filled. Rather it is Kolby Smith, this guy, or Larry Johnson, I'm glad that we were able to fill that gaping hole.

Brad Cottam

This guy looks like he'll be a great replacement for Jason Dunn. Great size. Seems to be the kind of receiver you could just toss the ball up to and say go get it. A big 6'7 target should be fun to throw to in the red zone and over the middle. 4th best TE in a weak TE class. This should go down as an OLine pick. He'll be in as a blocker a lot. Good pick.

This guy is not a blocker. So, if this goes down as an o-line pick, then it is as bad an o-line pick as I have ever seen in the third round. He is tall and fast and catches well. Sure am glad that we filled the gaping hole at backup TE too.

DaJuan Morgan

Agreed. How about our OT spot? Or are we going to re-sign Turley and Terry again?

William Franklin

This guy should be a great compliment to Bowe. 4.37 is fast....REALLY fast. If this guy can catch the ball, i think our WR corp is complete with Bowe, Webb, Franklin and Sippio....oh and Darling.

I thought that this position could have been addressed in the third, as well as the OT spot.

Brandon Carr

And the "Brandon" parade continues....not that i care considering that's my name too. lol I love CBs. I imagine this guy will compete with Brack for the other CB spot while Surtain will be the nickel back. All i've ever heard about this guy is good stuff. I'm not sure why he fell as far as he did. Small school talent are always wild cards.

Nice to fill one of starting jobs anyway. I am not against this pick either, but that OT job is still open.

Barry Richardson

"Lack of a mean streak"...this seems to be the only knock on this guy. He was expected to be a 3rd or 4th round guy. Maybe it's just me, but i think this guy is going to make a strong push for that RT position.

6th round OTs are projects that may one day become OGs, or leave the league without having played. We definitely needed on of those. I don't anything about this guy, so I don't hate the pick. But I hate that with the entire world knowing that we had to get an OT from this draft, that a 6th rounder and an OG are our answers to that.

Kevin Robinson

I hope he's worth the pick as a KR, cuz that's all he's gonna do on this team.

Brian Johnston

My favorite pick of this draft. For everything i hated about the Morgan pick, I love about this pick. He's another "wild card" from a small school. His measurables were incredible! If he gets invited to the combine, this kid is off the board by the 4th round. He fills a need and could push to start in a season or two. Tammie should fall in love with this guy. We couldn't get her guy in the 5th, but Johnston is cut from the same cloth as Jared Allen.

This is a good time to start trying guys that are a gamble. When there is less on the line.

Mike Merritt

This guy is really big and reminds me of when Brian Waters was moved from TE to guard. Don't be shocked if the same thing happens with this guy.

Overall, i think the Chiefs dominated this draft. But, they needed to. I think 11/12 guys are solid picks in theory with the exception of Robinson. Day one was amazing and day two was solid. I think we'll see some really good players come out of this draft. I think this will set this team up for a great draft next year where we should be able to complete the rebuild and complete for a title as soon as 2010.
    Overall, I would grade this draft as an A+...for some other team, with other needs that what we have. Now, we will be starting four DTs on our offensive line, and praying that we get a sack once or twice a month.

And our offensive line improved... slightly... maybe... maybe not. I imagine that QB will be our biggest hole to fill next draft, as we are unlikely to have one still alive by the end of this season.

While everyone else is welcome to accept the accolades of the "experts", All I can see is a defense that will never disturb a QB, and an offense that didn't change from leading the NFL in sacks.

I take the Branden Albert pick as "Here! Now shut the He77 up!" from Herm. And what he gave me is an OG that will have to play OT.

Has Herm ever had a QB stay healthy for a full season? Does he ever intend to?

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Overall, I would grade this draft as an A+...for some other team, with other needs that what we have. Now, we will be starting four DTs on our offensive line, and praying that we get a sack once or twice a month.

The "analysts" are saying because Dorsey is "short", along with him having a huge burst, he will be able to beat OLs underneath and get to the QB, we'll see.

And our offensive line improved... slightly... maybe... maybe not. I imagine that QB will be our biggest hole to fill next draft, as we are unlikely to have one still alive by the end of this season.

While everyone else is welcome to accept the accolades of the "experts", All I can see is a defense that will never disturb a QB, and an offense that didn't change from leading the NFL in sacks.

Maybe so, at least we got a hard hitting CB to take out receivers.

I take the Branden Albert pick as "Here! Now shut the He77 up!" from Herm. And what he gave me is an OG that will have to play OT.

Good point. Funny. Disturbing and funny.

It does not seem so.

I am stoked with the players we got in the draft.

In regards to your comments about filling spots that we already have covered, I think Herm is still cleaning house.

He and Carl are going to trade away the rest of the talent we have and attempt to put their players on the team.

I hope we are able to fill the rest of our holes with the other 21 rookie FA's.

Cheer up a little bit though chief31, it sounds like we got some quality talent!

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    It does not seem so.

I am stoked with the players we got in the draft.

In regards to your comments about filling spots that we already have covered, I think Herm is still cleaning house.

He and Carl are going to trade away the rest of the talent we have and attempt to put their players on the team.

I hope we are able to fill the rest of our holes with the other 21 rookie FA's.

Cheer up a little bit though chief31, it sounds like we got some quality talent!

It is difficult to be happy with this draft, when everyone and their mother knew that we had to get an OT, this was one of the best drafts I have ever seen for getting a starting OT, we led the NFL in sacks allowed, we had the worst running game in the NFL, both of our starting QBs were hurt last season, and our current head coach is a QBs worst nightmare.

Eveything pointed to us getting an OT out of this draft. Every planet, star, moon and comet was in the correct alignment for it to happen, and still Herm managed to put the issue on the back burner.

It is difficult to be happy with this draft, when everyone and their mother knew that we had to get an OT, this was one of the best drafts I have ever seen for getting a starting OT, we led the NFL in sacks allowed, we had the worst running game in the NFL, both of our starting QBs were hurt last season, and our current head coach is a QBs worst nightmare.

Eveything pointed to us getting an OT out of this draft. Every planet, star, moon and comet was in the correct alignment for it to happen, and still Herm managed to put the issue on the back burner.
    I will have to admit I was kind of bummed when the Bears took Chris Williams at #14 but hopefully Albert works out. From the highlights I've seen, he seems pretty quick for his size.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast