Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: King Charles

Default King Charles

sorry if this a repost, but this is cool....[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgOdDkjUo1s"]YouTube - Jamaal Charles Highlights[/ame]

Hum mm, Maybe a priest type of running back! LJ will need to beware! With this guy and Kolby Smith, LJ may be riding the bench more than he likes. This will be good, LJ will get tick off, and maybe start running angry again!

Chiefs choose Charles to put a charge in running game

By KENT BABB

The Kansas City Star

function PopupPic(sPicURL, sHeight, sWidth) { window.open( "http://media.kansascity.com/static/popup.html?"+sPicURL, "", "resizable=1,HEIGHT=" +sHeight+ ",WIDTH=" +sWidth); }
    Defenders had a hard time catching Texas running back Jamaal Charles last season.

The Chiefs might have moved from their philosophy of drafting immediate starters, but they did so Sunday to pull a fast one.
    Texas running back Jamaal Charles was the Chiefs’ first of three picks in the third round of the NFL draft, the 73rd overall pick. And even though he probably will start his career behind Larry Johnson and Kolby Smith, Charles could be the fastest player on the team.
    “When I get like three steps on people,” Charles said Sunday, “most people don’t come from behind me and catch me.”
    Charles said he was the fastest player at Texas, a school known for producing outstanding running backs. The Longhorns have had a 1,000-yard rusher each year since 1995. One former Texas running back was a Chiefs star who was chosen to three Pro Bowls during his seven seasons in Kansas City — and made an impression on Charles.
    “I’m going to go up there and try to do what Priest Holmes did,” Charles said.
    Like Holmes, Charles is an undersized back who coaches admit might not be built to carry an NFL team’s load. Charles is listed at 199 pounds. But more impressive is that he was a sprinter at Texas for one season, long enough to be selected an All-American in four events. Then, he quit track and settled on football.
    But sometimes, his former football coach said, Charles had to learn to prove his skills reached beyond quickness.
    “He doesn’t bring good speed to a pro team; he brings great speed,” Texas coach Mack Brown said. “He could outrun people … but last year about midseason, he found out the quickest way to the goal line was straight ahead.”
    Regardless of which route he takes, the Chiefs see Charles as a potential kick returner, at least in the beginning. Charles said he would embrace that role, if that was his best way to get regular playing time.
    Chiefs vice president of player personnel Bill Kuharich said Charles was high on the team’s third-round draft board. But running back is one position where the Chiefs did not face a glaring need — not as they did at offensive line and defensive end.
    Coach Herm Edwards has said for weeks the Chiefs would draft for need. He said Sunday that Charles was too good to pass up, despite the fact that running back is one of Kansas City’s deepest positions.
    “Anyone we draft has the ability to compete for a starting position,” Edwards said. “That’s what you want. You want a competitive environment.
    “We like to run the ball. You always need three good running backs.”
    The Chiefs think Charles is one of them. That probably would squeeze Jackie Battle out of the picture. Battle, who played last year after Johnson and Smith were injured, was on the practice squad for most of the 2007 season.
    Edwards called Charles a “role guy,” and the Chiefs want Charles’ role to be a change-up for defenses, a quick alternative to Johnson’s more bruising style.
    Then again, Charles said he doesn’t want to be labeled a one-skill rusher. He said he didn’t gain 1,619 yards rushing last year by being one-dimensional.
    “Many people think I can’t break tackles, but I can break tackles,” he said. “I know what I can do. I know I can carry a load. I know I can help my team out.
    “I know I can be a starter because of the things I can do on the field.”
    For now, he doesn’t have to be.

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

The TD runs at about 4:00, 4:20, 6:25, and 7:35 were amazing!
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    The TD runs at about 4:00, 4:20, 6:25, and 7:35 were amazing!

They kick ***, now
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    During the draft, while NFL Network was talking about Charles, they were showing some film on the sideline, and this guy looks alot like Priest Holmes.

Not on the field, so much, but his face looks like Priest.

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    Hum mm, Maybe a priest type of running back! LJ will need to beware! With this guy and Kolby Smith, LJ may be riding the bench more than he likes. This will be good, LJ will get tick off, and maybe start running angry again!

I like that ! LJ running angry again !!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppachief View Post
    I like that ! LJ running angry again !!!
    Probably the biggest reason to draft Charles. Not that Charles isn't good in his own right, but drafting him should light a fire under someone else's posterior.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Probably the biggest reason to draft Charles. Not that Charles isn't good in his own right, but drafting him should light a fire under someone else's posterior.
    also too, LJ cannot keep running the ball 25-30 times a game-just about the entire league is going to a two back set. LJ with power, KS and KC(King Charles-gotta love that) with scat and speed. not to mention this guy returning punts maybe. But I do agree with the competition in the backfield, perhaps there will be more heat under the seat

I'm most impressed with his acceleration and speed. Could be a great threat on screen plays.

who does KC remind anyone of? i.e. his style of running

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast