Thread: Another Basketball player on the team?

Default Another Basketball player on the team?

This guy could rival Shaq.

Virginia lineman Albert goes from hoops to NFL

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

function PopupPic(sPicURL, sHeight, sWidth) { window.open( "http://media.kansascity.com/static/popup.html?"+sPicURL, "", "resizable=1,HEIGHT=" +sHeight+ ",WIDTH=" +sWidth); }
    Branden Albert played a lot of guard when he was at Virginia, but the Chiefs are planning on the No. 15 overall pick filling a hole at tackle.

Branden Albert believed long ago he would be drafted in a professional sport.
    He just thought it would be in basketball, not football.
    Albert didn’t play football until his junior year of high school in Glen Burnie, Md.
    He was already a basketball star, but soon his football skills surpassed his hoops prowess and he earned a football scholarship to the University of Virginia.
    The Chiefs fulfilled his prophesy, albeit in a different sport, on Saturday when they made Albert the second of their two first-round draft picks and No. 15 overall.
    Albert played mostly guard at Virginia, but he will probably start for the Chiefs at one of the tackle positions. The Chiefs have last year’s starter Damion McIntosh available to play left tackle, so Albert could wind up on the right side.
    “I was always a basketball player,” Albert said.
    “I grew up in (Rochester, N.Y.) and when I moved to Maryland with my brother, I was asked to play (football) because that’s what he wanted me to do. That’s where he saw my talent would be. It’s worked out for the best.”
    Albert is the first new piece as the Chiefs attempt to rebuild their once-proud offensive line. He was the fourth offensive lineman drafted and the first one who didn’t play tackle exclusively in college.
    Albert started his college career at guard because Virginia had another eventual first-round draft choice, D’Brickashaw Ferguson, playing left tackle.
    Albert remained at guard for two seasons after Ferguson was drafted by the New York Jets.
    “When I first got to (Virginia), D’Brickashaw Ferguson was there my first year and the coaching staff felt like they had to find somewhere on the field for me,” Albert said.
    “I played the left guard spot that year and they kept me there since then. My coach wanted the five best linemen on the field.
    “I’ll be fine at left tackle.”
    Albert declared for the draft after his junior season without even submitting the paperwork to the NFL’s advisory committee that predicts where an underclassman might be drafted.
    He had that much belief in his ability.
    “I just felt like it was the best situation for me this year,” Albert said. “I just looked at the situation, the draft class, the guards and whatnot. I just felt like I could make a strong, competitive effort by coming out.”
    Branden Albert
    Height/Weight: 6-5 5/8 , 309College: Virginia
    Fast fact: Didn’t play football until his junior year of high school in Glen Burnie, Md.
    Career highlights: Started all 37 collegiate games; selected third-team All-America by the Associated Press
    Scouting report: A fantastic athlete for a player of his size. Though he was mainly a guard at Virginia, Albert moves well enough and is strong enough to handle premier pass rushers, so the Chiefs will look at him at tackle.
    Whom this affects: Damion McIntosh might have to vacate his starting spot at left tackle and play on the right side or at guard.

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

Quote Originally Posted by royalswin100games View Post
    This guy could rival Shaq.

Virginia lineman Albert goes from hoops to NFL

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

function PopupPic(sPicURL, sHeight, sWidth) { window.open( "http://media.kansascity.com/static/popup.html?"+sPicURL, "", "resizable=1,HEIGHT=" +sHeight+ ",WIDTH=" +sWidth); }
    Branden Albert played a lot of guard when he was at Virginia, but the Chiefs are planning on the No. 15 overall pick filling a hole at tackle.

Branden Albert believed long ago he would be drafted in a professional sport.
    He just thought it would be in basketball, not football.
    Albert didn’t play football until his junior year of high school in Glen Burnie, Md.
    He was already a basketball star, but soon his football skills surpassed his hoops prowess and he earned a football scholarship to the University of Virginia.
    The Chiefs fulfilled his prophesy, albeit in a different sport, on Saturday when they made Albert the second of their two first-round draft picks and No. 15 overall.
    Albert played mostly guard at Virginia, but he will probably start for the Chiefs at one of the tackle positions. The Chiefs have last year’s starter Damion McIntosh available to play left tackle, so Albert could wind up on the right side.
    “I was always a basketball player,” Albert said.
    “I grew up in (Rochester, N.Y.) and when I moved to Maryland with my brother, I was asked to play (football) because that’s what he wanted me to do. That’s where he saw my talent would be. It’s worked out for the best.”
    Albert is the first new piece as the Chiefs attempt to rebuild their once-proud offensive line. He was the fourth offensive lineman drafted and the first one who didn’t play tackle exclusively in college.
    Albert started his college career at guard because Virginia had another eventual first-round draft choice, D’Brickashaw Ferguson, playing left tackle.
    Albert remained at guard for two seasons after Ferguson was drafted by the New York Jets.
    “When I first got to (Virginia), D’Brickashaw Ferguson was there my first year and the coaching staff felt like they had to find somewhere on the field for me,” Albert said.
    “I played the left guard spot that year and they kept me there since then. My coach wanted the five best linemen on the field.
    “I’ll be fine at left tackle.”
    Albert declared for the draft after his junior season without even submitting the paperwork to the NFL’s advisory committee that predicts where an underclassman might be drafted.
    He had that much belief in his ability.
    “I just felt like it was the best situation for me this year,” Albert said. “I just looked at the situation, the draft class, the guards and whatnot. I just felt like I could make a strong, competitive effort by coming out.”
    Branden Albert
    Height/Weight: 6-5 5/8 , 309College: Virginia
    Fast fact: Didn’t play football until his junior year of high school in Glen Burnie, Md.
    Career highlights: Started all 37 collegiate games; selected third-team All-America by the Associated Press
    Scouting report: A fantastic athlete for a player of his size. Though he was mainly a guard at Virginia, Albert moves well enough and is strong enough to handle premier pass rushers, so the Chiefs will look at him at tackle.
    Whom this affects: Damion McIntosh might have to vacate his starting spot at left tackle and play on the right side or at guard.
    Now he IS a freaking mountain!!!!!

I sure hope he can play at LT because I do NOT want to see McIntosh there again this year!

We didn't draft any QB's so we are going to need to protect Brodie the entire season!
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    I sure hope he can play at LT because I do NOT want to see McIntosh there again this year!

We didn't draft any QB's so we are going to need to protect Brodie the entire season!
    We still have a good backup QB, well that is all huard is good at is backup.... I hope brodie will be protected

Quote Originally Posted by tammietailgator View Post
    We still have a good backup QB, well that is all huard is good at is backup.... I hope brodie will be protected
    Huard is a decent starter with a good O line, and an excellent backup with a good O line.

I just hope we don't have to go to the guy so that we can see if Brodie is gonna be able to be the starter of the future.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

He did play the left side at UVA but I don't see the coaching staff going with the rookie on that side.

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

Huard is a decent starter with a good O line, and an excellent backup with a good O line.

I just hope we don't have to go to the guy so that we can see if Brodie is gonna be able to be the starter of the future.
    If we have to go to him then we are in big trouble!!