10 15.63%
  • Ricky Santos

5 7.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Croyle or Thigpen?

Default Croyle or Thigpen?

PFT:

With the Chiefs using zero of their 12 draft picks on quarterbacks, many presumed that Brodie Croyle would continue as the starter, at least for 2008.

Enter Tyler Thigpen.

Thigpen, a seventh-round pick of the Vikings in 2007 whom coach Brad Childress thought he could slip through waivers and sign to the practice squad before the Chiefs pounced, could challenge Croyle. Not next year, but right now.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Chiefs believe that Thigpen could topple Croyle for the starting job in 2008.

Thigpen last played on a regular basis at Coastal Carolina, which we didn’t realize even had a football program.

My opinion is Croyle is a bust. He has been in the league for 4 years now??? He isnt a winner, he is a marginal QB at best. My stat is, winners find a way to win, no matter the situation. They may not be able to win them all but they win more than they lose. Croyle was given his shot last year to find a way to win. He couldn't do it. Yeah he had a bad o-line. But I've seen great QB's win despite the bad o-line. And Croyle couldn't win even one game. The Chiefs have taken time to develop him but the time to shine was last year and he couldn't get it done.

If Thigpen is as good as you guys are saying (I have no knowledge of him), then hopefully he can do something. We will see this year.

As for Huard, I've got mixed feelings. I think he is the best QB to get us a win. But he is not the long term solution. Huard was also given a chance. Although I would have to say probably not a fair one. Lets face it Herm had a chubby for Croyle and the whole QB competition was rigged in Croyle's favor. Huard is a good backup QB because he can excel in the unknown factor, if he is a backup teams dont completely prepair for him like they will for a starting QB. When they prepare for him, Huard does not do as well. I believe he will always only be a backup

Quote Originally Posted by tammietailgator View Post
    Exactly... we are trying to win...
    So when he was a starter... it didnt work out - He plays best as a backup when needed. He really does a good job at that too, but when asked to take us all the way - he can't. That is because he is a good backup only. That is his job... always has been.

He is no rich gannon....

Hold up.Let's go back.When he was a starter it didn't work out.You're wrong because it did work out.During the 2006 season,he was ranked second to Peyton Manning in quarterback rating.That bypasses other elite quarterbacks such as Brett favre,Tom Brady,Carson Palmer,Donovan Mcnabb and so on.He was also ranked first in interception ratio.That proves that he is accustomed to not making mistakes.If he would've played the entire 2006 season then he possibly could've passed Peyton and led the league in quarterback rating.As for the 2007 season,he was outstanding while leading our team on top of the division until Herm made the switch to Croyle.Let's not forget that we were without our veteran wide receiver in Eddie Kennsion for so many games during the games in which Damon played.The Detroit game in which Chief Addict brung up brings back so much memories because he was outstanding.Do we really think Croyle could've played a better game than Damon when we played Detroit?!:hypocrite: Taking us all the way is but was possible with Damon during the 2006 season.He got us into the playoffs but also led us on top of the division during the 2007 season until Herm's................."I must get younger" approach tore our season apart.Just imagine what would've happened if Damon was to remain as our starter while we were on top of the division.Playoffs!

Quote Originally Posted by Grbac View Post
    Hold up.Let's go back.When he was a starter it didn't work out.You're wrong because it did work out.During the 2006 season,he was ranked second to Peyton Manning in quarterback rating.That bypasses other elite quarterbacks such as Brett favre,Tom Brady,Carson Palmer,Donovan Mcnabb and so on.He was also ranked first in interception ratio.That proves that he is accustomed to not making mistakes.If he would've played the entire 2006 season then he possibly could've passed Peyton and led the league in quarterback rating.As for the 2007 season,he was outstanding while leading our team on top of the division until Herm made the switch to Croyle.Let's not forget that we were without our veteran wide receiver in Eddie Kennsion for so many games during the games in which Damon played.The Detroit game in which Chief Addict brung up brings back so much memories because he was outstanding.Do we really think Croyle could've played a better game than Damon when we played Detroit?!:hypocrite: Taking us all the way is but was possible with Damon during the 2006 season.He got us into the playoffs but also led us on top of the division during the 2007 season until Herm's................."I must get younger" approach tore our season apart.Just imagine what would've happened if Damon was to remain as our starter while we were on top of the division.Playoffs!
    Well, I do agree with most of what you are saying. Damon should have remained our Q.B. in the 2006 season. He would have given us a better chance against the Colts in the playoff game. He's a smart player. Dosen't beat himself yada-yada. But he has been a carreer backup for a reason. First and foremost he isn't very durable. He lacks leadership skills, and he's slow. A guy might be able to be successful with one of those things going against him. But combine all three and your not going to be consistent for a long period of time. And getting younger didn't cause the demise of our season in 07. Failing to address the giant whole in the O-line and the lack of special teams was problem. Also Huard wasn't pulled from the line up because we wanted to be younger. He was beat up for most of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by SomewhereoverDwayneBowe View Post
    Well, I do agree with most of what you are saying. Damon should have remained our Q.B. in the 2006 season. He would have given us a better chance against the Colts in the playoff game. He's a smart player. Dosen't beat himself yada-yada. But he has been a carreer backup for a reason.

Yeah. What kind of schmuck can't win away the starting job from a scrub like Tom Brady. Or maybe Trent Green was supposed to play horribly enought to have Vermiel start considering benching him. I can't believe that I am still hearing this argument.

First and foremost he isn't very durable.

He sure seemed durable when he was getting run over by defeses last season.

He lacks leadership skills,

What are you talking about??? That is some kind of self-invented speculation.

and he's slow.

O.K. So he's slow-footed. Dan Marino would likely argue that that isn't enough to classify someone as a career back-up.

A guy might be able to be successful with one of those things going against him.

O.K. Because that's where we stand. One of those things.

But combine all three and your not going to be consistent for a long period of time. And getting younger didn't cause the demise of our season in 07. Failing to address the giant whole in the O-line and the lack of special teams was problem.

AMEN!!!

Also Huard wasn't pulled from the line up because we wanted to be younger. He was beat up for most of the year.
    I don't mean to bash, but I absolutely don't get the whole "He's a backup for a reason" argument. If that's the case, then Tom Brady was a sixth-round draft pick for a reason. Priest Holmes wasn't drafted at all for a reason.

There are QB's that did better as starters... ie Rich Gannon! I agree with somewhereoverdwaynebowe - Huard does lack leadership skills. And he is slow.. we are going young - that is a fact! Now we have to build on it - GO CROYLE!

I don't want to come off as a Huard hater. I have a huge amount of respect for the guy. But I stand by what I said. He was removed from the starting lineup last year because he was banged up. In fact he removed himself from one game. Went to the bench. Stuck a towel over his head. I find it hard to compare him to Tom Brady. What he has done with his opportunity is pretty obvious. I'm sure anyone would have told you how crazy you were if you predicted him taking Bledsoe's job. He was pretty well liked in New England. I find it impossible to compare him to Dan Marino. Seems like the stars line up at the right time for some guy's. It just never has happened for Damon as far as being "the guy". However, I think we are very fortunate to have him in KC as ......a backup. And I'm not offended in any way by anything you argue. I appreciate your passion. And I enjoy a good debate. We are on the same team you know.

I don't want to come off as a Huard hater. I have a huge amount of respect for the guy. But I stand by what I said. He was removed from the starting lineup last year because he was banged up. In fact he removed himself from one game. Went to the bench. Stuck a towel over his head. I find it hard to compare him to Tom Brady. What he has done with his opportunity is pretty obvious. I'm sure anyone would have told you how crazy you were if you predicted him taking Bledsoe's job. He was pretty well liked in New England. I find it impossible to compare him to Dan Marino. Seems like the stars line up at the right time for some guy's. It just never has happened for Damon as far as being "the guy". However, I think we are very fortunate to have him in KC as ......a backup. And I'm not offended in any way by anything you argue. I appreciate your passion. And I enjoy a good debate. We are on the same team you know.
    I just think that Huard has done very well when he has had the opportunities. Last year, I think he did a good job, when you consider the lack of protection, running game, #1WR, and competant play-calling.

And I wasn't trying to compare Huard to Marino, nor Brady, on the whole. The comparison to Marino was based strictly on the "slow" comment. Alot of NFL QBs are pretty slow. And there was no comparison to Brady, just that I say being a backup because you can't win a starting job from Tom Brady doesn't mean that you should be labeled a career-backup.

Hell, if Peyton Manning were on the same team as Tom Brady for their entire career, one of them would be a career backup. Right?

Well said!!

Quote Originally Posted by jakesmith View Post
    My opinion is Croyle is a bust. He has been in the league for 4 years now??? He isnt a winner, he is a marginal QB at best. My stat is, winners find a way to win, no matter the situation. They may not be able to win them all but they win more than they lose. Croyle was given his shot last year to find a way to win. He couldn't do it. Yeah he had a bad o-line. But I've seen great QB's win despite the bad o-line. And Croyle couldn't win even one game. The Chiefs have taken time to develop him but the time to shine was last year and he couldn't get it done...
    He was a starter for about 3/4 the season last year for the very first time in his four years in the league behind a terrible "O"-line I think he deserves at least one more season in a year that is widely regarded as a rebuilding year at best. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I just think that Huard has done very well when he has had the opportunities. Last year, I think he did a good job, when you consider the lack of protection, running game, #1WR, and competant play-calling.
    And of course no LJ to hand the ball off to over 400 times. I like Huard, but I agree he's better as a backup. We'll have to see how things go this year.
    Everything happens for a reason.

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast