Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: slight overreaction i think...(long)

Default slight overreaction i think...(long)

Since it ultimately comes down to C.P. calling the shots, you have to place any blame on him as far as personel go. That said, this draft for the Chiefs was great in the first day. for all those who are crying about no stud O-Linemen, you'd have just as many complaining about our D-line or WR corp if they hadn't taken Bowe.

The kid from Tennessee might have been a reach, but obviously they weren't the only ones thinking the kid could play. K.C. was looking to trade up to get him fearing he may not be there at 54. When it comes to drafting defenders, i trust Herm and his personel staff. they did a great job last year and there's no reason to think he made a defensive mistake this year. He may be a "tweener", but so is Tamba Hali. Everyone said he was too big/slow for DE, but the guy ended with more sacks than the #1 pick Mario Williams. The Chiefs also got tremendous value with "Tank". I was praying they'd land this guy. when the Chiefs passed on him, i didn't think there was anyway he'd still be there in the 3rd. He fell due to "character issues" but was projected as a late first/ early 2nd guy. Our D-line is taken care of for the next decade.

True, we didn't get a young corner, but Ty Law and Pat Surtain aren't horrible yet. they have another year or two left before thier situation gets critical.If we played a man defense, i'd worry a little more. but, these guys play in a zone with huge help over the top. that more than makes up for the step lost due to age. Plus, we did draft Maxey last year, so we have one young guy with a year under his belt already. Don't sleep on him, he may push to start this year. That may be why they were only looking at drafting one CB this year anyway.

Obviously our LB's and Safetys are a position of strength for the next 5 to 10 years, so really, we just need a FA CB or to draft one next year. We also could probably get another DE in FA or the draft. I doubt Allen will stay. So, really, our defense is set for a while outside those 2 or 3 positions.

Offensively, yeah, we've had two hall-of-famers retire. But truly, how many clubs can really say that they've had guys on their line worthy of Canton? As our line stands, it's pretty solid. Casey Wiegman hasn't retired yet and probably won't. He would've done it already. Waters is still there at guard(Pro Bowler). Welborne is returning to his natural position at guard. Which i still think could be a push, if not an upgrade over an old Shields. At OT, we've got two vets who can play. McIntosh is no slouch. Terry was on track to being a pro bowler before his issues sidelined him. I think people forget we got another young rookie FA tackle before the draft ever started. Ramiro Pruneda has a lot of fan fare behind him from Mexico. I don't think this kid should be taken lightly either.

We as fans may not see everything we want to see, but i think this draft helped the team more than most people believe. The backup RB from Louisville is a player. At 6ft, this guy looks a lot like LJ back there. he's not as big up top, but is just as fast and can make an ankle breaking move to get free. Obviously, we needed a kicker...not sure why we didn't take Crosby, but hey, we got a kicker....the first one taken i might add.

I just think we might be overreacting a little to the talent we do or don't have on this team. I for one am really disappointed with the amount of picks we ended up with. i was hoping to trade away Wesley, Green and maybe LJ if the right trade came along. but, we've got what we've got. For the up coming season, our defense is a top 10 defense and needs to play like it. Give Brodie the ball and let him throw it up to Bowe, Webb, and Gonzo and see how much that opens up the run game.

Like i said, our O-Line doesn't need to be stacked with future hall of famers to be productive. Out of the guys competing for the 2 tackle spots, we've only seen one of them actually play (Sampson). McIntosh, Terry, Pruneda, and Herbert Taylor are new to Chiefs fans. What makes you think these guys can't handle thier position? Is it "analysis" from the sports writers of the AP that makes you feel like our OL is crap or what? The line is solid guys!!! Especially up the middle.

If you need to worry about something this year, worry about the QB position. We will be the only team in the division without a first round pick as our QB. Too bad Quinn couldn't fall just one more spot.

Relax guys. we weren't going to make the playoffs this year anyway. The front office should use this year to figure out what they need to adress in FA and the draft to make a deep run in 08. We can look foward to a bunch of INTs for our QB of the future. But as long as he learns and adjusts for the 08 season, we should be happy with whatever the chiefs do this year.

Hmmmmm, not sure exactly why we needed another kicker, we had just signed another kicker before the draft started. Worry over the QB position was why I was concerned about the "O" line in the first place, and I have never viewed the 07 season as anything but a rebuilding year.

Nice positive spin on this year's draft, and a good read.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Hmmmmm, not sure exactly why we needed another kicker, we had just signed another kicker before the draft started. Worry over the QB position was why I was concerned about the "O" line in the first place, and I have never viewed the 07 season as anything but a rebuilding year.

Nice positive spin on this year's draft, and a good read.

I think that we are an "old" team, and rebuilding is going to take time, in MHO a team the reloads, insteads of continually "rebuilds" is going to be more apt to go deep into the playoffs and reach the SuperBowl than a team that is rebuilding an aging team, but that is just me.

:character0011: I will have you to know that "Rebuild" is my middle name, Sir!!
    Go Chiefs Eleven, win
    in 2007!!:fighting0068:

Quote Originally Posted by kenny1937 View Post
    I think that we are an "old" team, and rebuilding is going to take time, in MHO a team the reloads, insteads of continually "rebuilds" is going to be more apt to go deep into the playoffs and reach the SuperBowl than a team that is rebuilding an aging team, but that is just me.

:character0011: I will have you to know that "Rebuild" is my middle name, Sir!!

Not in the AFC. Look at these teams that are becoming powerhouses in this conference. They aren't doing it through FA. You can't. FAs cost too much money to do it that way. As a franchise, you need to bite the bullet of a couple losing seasons to get to where you want to be.

The Chargers, Colts, Steelers, Ravens, and until this season, the Patriots have built a foundation through the draft so that the Free Agents they do aquire make more of an impact. You can't sign FAs to plug holes just to bring your team to par. They need to be impact players to take the team to the next level.

As an example, if Ryan Sims was an all pro like he should've been, we could've spent more money on a better outside linebacker like Adalius Thomas instead of bringing in an old Edwards and sub-all pro DTs. Then, we could be looking at an offensive lineman or CB in the 2nd or 3rd round instead of back to back DL.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Since it ultimately comes down to C.P. calling the shots, you have to place any blame on him as far as personel go. That said, this draft for the Chiefs was great in the first day. for all those who are crying about no stud O-Linemen, you'd have just as many complaining about our D-line or WR corp if they hadn't taken Bowe.

The kid from Tennessee might have been a reach, but obviously they weren't the only ones thinking the kid could play. K.C. was looking to trade up to get him fearing he may not be there at 54. When it comes to drafting defenders, i trust Herm and his personel staff. they did a great job last year and there's no reason to think he made a defensive mistake this year. He may be a "tweener", but so is Tamba Hali. Everyone said he was too big/slow for DE, but the guy ended with more sacks than the #1 pick Mario Williams. The Chiefs also got tremendous value with "Tank". I was praying they'd land this guy. when the Chiefs passed on him, i didn't think there was anyway he'd still be there in the 3rd. He fell due to "character issues" but was projected as a late first/ early 2nd guy. Our D-line is taken care of for the next decade.

True, we didn't get a young corner, but Ty Law and Pat Surtain aren't horrible yet. they have another year or two left before thier situation gets critical.If we played a man defense, i'd worry a little more. but, these guys play in a zone with huge help over the top. that more than makes up for the step lost due to age. Plus, we did draft Maxey last year, so we have one young guy with a year under his belt already. Don't sleep on him, he may push to start this year. That may be why they were only looking at drafting one CB this year anyway.

Obviously our LB's and Safetys are a position of strength for the next 5 to 10 years, so really, we just need a FA CB or to draft one next year. We also could probably get another DE in FA or the draft. I doubt Allen will stay. So, really, our defense is set for a while outside those 2 or 3 positions.

Offensively, yeah, we've had two hall-of-famers retire. But truly, how many clubs can really say that they've had guys on their line worthy of Canton? As our line stands, it's pretty solid. Casey Wiegman hasn't retired yet and probably won't. He would've done it already. Waters is still there at guard(Pro Bowler). Welborne is returning to his natural position at guard. Which i still think could be a push, if not an upgrade over an old Shields. At OT, we've got two vets who can play. McIntosh is no slouch. Terry was on track to being a pro bowler before his issues sidelined him. I think people forget we got another young rookie FA tackle before the draft ever started. Ramiro Pruneda has a lot of fan fare behind him from Mexico. I don't think this kid should be taken lightly either.

We as fans may not see everything we want to see, but i think this draft helped the team more than most people believe. The backup RB from Louisville is a player. At 6ft, this guy looks a lot like LJ back there. he's not as big up top, but is just as fast and can make an ankle breaking move to get free. Obviously, we needed a kicker...not sure why we didn't take Crosby, but hey, we got a kicker....the first one taken i might add.

I just think we might be overreacting a little to the talent we do or don't have on this team. I for one am really disappointed with the amount of picks we ended up with. i was hoping to trade away Wesley, Green and maybe LJ if the right trade came along. but, we've got what we've got. For the up coming season, our defense is a top 10 defense and needs to play like it. Give Brodie the ball and let him throw it up to Bowe, Webb, and Gonzo and see how much that opens up the run game.

Like i said, our O-Line doesn't need to be stacked with future hall of famers to be productive. Out of the guys competing for the 2 tackle spots, we've only seen one of them actually play (Sampson). McIntosh, Terry, Pruneda, and Herbert Taylor are new to Chiefs fans. What makes you think these guys can't handle thier position? Is it "analysis" from the sports writers of the AP that makes you feel like our OL is crap or what? The line is solid guys!!! Especially up the middle.

If you need to worry about something this year, worry about the QB position. We will be the only team in the division without a first round pick as our QB. Too bad Quinn couldn't fall just one more spot.

Relax guys. we weren't going to make the playoffs this year anyway. The front office should use this year to figure out what they need to adress in FA and the draft to make a deep run in 08. We can look foward to a bunch of INTs for our QB of the future. But as long as he learns and adjusts for the 08 season, we should be happy with whatever the chiefs do this year.

Rather you have ever noticed, or not, Miami Dolphins and Carolina Panthers games, both, get televised, nationally. I have watched three Dolphins games, since the season ended. (Thanks to my beloved NFL Network.) I base my opinion of Macintosh, on what I have seen, myself. He is, what I would call, top-heavy. In the three games, that I have watched, I saw him fall down three times. This si not being shoved off-balance, it is falling down. When he runs, he has ahard time keeping his feet under him. He gave up two sacks, in against single man pass blocking. Other sacks from that side, could have been blamed on his failure, or mis-communication. It's not that he is horrible, just that he is below-average. This is our starting LT, below average.

As for Terry, he did use to be, a pretty decent OT. Kyle Turley used to be a MONSTER. How did that work out? Used-to-bes and who-is-hes, are what the Chiefs are giving us, at the offensive tackle positions.

As far as trusting the Chiefs organization, along with Herm, when they tell me that they have the talent in place, do you remember them saying that Kyle Turley was throwing guys around, in training camp last season? I was there. While he didn't look bad,( he wasn't being challenged) but, he wasn't throwing anyone anywhere.

Would you expect the Chiefs to tell us that they expect to be awefull? Do you think that they would want you to know, that they don't expect to be a winning team? Hunh-unh. No matter what they put on the field, they will want you to believe that you are buying tickets, to see a winner.

Kevin Sampson. I like him. He isn't an absolute stud, but he is a decent RT, when he is healthy. Unfortunately, he hasn't been healthy, at all.

The fact that I have never seen the big mexican guy play, is not a reassuring one. It sounds like a very long shot.

My whole problem with this draft, revolves around the fact that the O-line was, essentially, ignored, again. You said that ultimately, it comes down to being C.P.s call. Unfortunately, he does what his head coach wants him to do. In the rare event that he goes against his head coach, we tend to hear about it. Therefore, I look at Herm, becuase I know he got the guys he wanted.

Yahoo gives us a B? I have a hard time giving us a D. You don't like my opinion, or my "negativity"? You have my apology. Not my regret. I may wind-up liking some of the guys that we have drafted. I like Pollard and Hali. however, I will never like the fact that my team ignored their offensive line.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    we should be happy with whatever the chiefs do this year.

Not interested, but you go ahead and have a good time with that, o.k.?

By the way, I hope you don't take anything I say as any kind of attack. I welcome you to accept, happily, whatever the Chiefs throw you. I, however, will accept it, in a slightly more disgruntled manor.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Not interested, but you go ahead and have a good time with that, o.k.?

By the way, I hope you don't take anything I say as any kind of attack. I welcome you to accept, happily, whatever the Chiefs throw you. I, however, will accept it, in a slightly more disgruntled manor.

You should be more positive; like me!

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    You should be more positive; like me!
    As unbelievable as it may sound, I am not a grumpy guy. I have a good time, every day, no matter what happens. I keep my stress level low. Yet, somehow,(and I can see it in my own posts) I come of as grumpy and miserable. I think that if I were here, when D.V.s Chiefs were playing, you would have seen a more optimistic Chief31.

As unbelievable as it may sound, I am not a grumpy guy. I have a good time, every day, no matter what happens. I keep my stress level low. Yet, somehow,(and I can see it in my own posts) I come of as grumpy and miserable. I think that if I were here, when D.V.s Chiefs were playing, you would have seen a more optimistic Chief31.
    LOL!! I'm the same way.

Responding to a previous message you left me, i don't take the things people say on this message board as an attack. Just as i hope you don't take the things i say as an attack.

That said, this is the problem with sports fans and Chiefs fans in particular. Do you want entertainment or a Championship? Right now, if I'm Carl, i see the people in K.C. were thrilled with the high flying offense that amassed no playoff victories. These are the ones who keep buying season tickets to see an average team year after year after year with this melo drama of "retooling" after every season. So, what do i do to keep the mob happy? I draft a big time WR with my first pick instead of a defender who i know will help win a title. Big WR = More offense = excited fans

Why would ANYONE have been optomistic about our chances during the Vermiel era? While the guy won a title in St. Louis with a version of the same offense, the Rams didn't have the worst defense in THE NFL!!! It doesn't matter how good your offense is, DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Lets look at the two Super Bowl reps this year. The coaches are essentially the same as Herm Edwards. They came from the same system out of Tampa and run the same defenses. Chicago Built thier team through the defense. they patched an offense together with a QB who couldn't start anywhere else in the league and won the NFC Championship. But, the Chicago team didn't spring up over night. Lovie has been in Chicago for a few seasons building that defense.

The Colts on the other hand had Peyton Manning. Thier offensive line isn't stacked with Pro Bowlers and Hall of Famers. They have an average offensive line. The difference is, they have a QB who can recognize blitzes and keeps defenses off balance. How many sacks do you see Peyton taking? How many times do you see him on the ground for that matter? Peyton is smart enough not to put himself in position to end up like Green.

This B.S. about the offensive line is rediculous! Is it the ideal situation? No. But you can't keep blaming the offensive line for losses. they weren't that bad last year (1700+ rushing yards) and you haven't even seen a snap this year.

At some point fans should quit *****ing about what they don't have and look at what they do have...an above average line personel wise that may need some time to play together and feel comfortable with the system. If we had taken an OT instead in the first, we would probably be hearing the same crap about how poor our recieving corp is. How "our entire season will go down the drain because we have no recievers to give Gonzo a break."

Figure it out... we don't have an offensive juggernaut anymore. we have an offense that will score just enough to win the game after our defense stiffles the other team for four quarters. oh wait...."our corners are old and filed for social security last season." There goes that theory.

People, a championship team takes a couple years to build. I hate seeing C.P. in that front office as much as the next guy. He has proven he can sell tickets. THAT IS HIS JOB! HE'S GOOD AT IT. Until Chiefs fans quit calling for help in the form of free agents and offensive players, Carl is just going to keep trotting out that average team year in and year out for the next 20 years as long as you people buy tickets.

We as a fan base should've been crying for Carl to trade away Larry Johnson, Trent Green, Tony Gonzales, and any other high priced vet on this team in exchange for more draft picks. If we REALLY WANT a championship team, we stop signing RBs for 8 yrs 80 million. We stop signing old TEs to new expensive contracts. we stop acting like our 40 yr old QB is family. This is a business. to build a champion, you need draft picks. but guess what, those picks aren't free. you have to give up value to recieve it. I realize these players are our "super stars" but apparently, we need an offensive line more importantly. according to some people, anyone could throw and run behind a "great" offensive line, so we don't need those stars anyway.

It all comes down to ENTERTAINMENT vs. CHAMPIONSHIPS

Which do you want?

"Give them thier bread and circuses"

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast