Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Americans

Default Crazy Americans

The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

I don't own a firearm and don't really want to, and I don't begrudge anyone else’s right to own one. Like m0ef0e though I would much prefer that those who own firearms to be well trained in the proper handling of said firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    NO matter how many people need to die!!
    Well, if that's the argument, then turn in your car. Cars are guilty of killing a whole lot more people than guns.

Hey, accidents are going to happen, right up until they secure enough funds to put everyone in their own cozy little prison cell. And even then, somehow, bad things will still happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief from the North View Post
    But here is where the question really lies. Is it worth it?? Is it worth it on the off chance that someone is going to invade your home? Is it worth it to have a weapon that may accidentally go off, or may be found by your kids? I understand that you are supposed to keep the ammo in a seperate location, but does everyone? All the time? And then where is the protection value? As previously mentioned the time it takes to load the weapon eliminates the ability to react with the weapon. For those of us who are parents out there, can you actually imagine the pain and grief you would endure for the rest of your life if YOU were responsible for your kids death? If someone breaks in and hurts my family, I'll feel guilt perhaps, and definate anger, but unless it is unprovoked it won't have been something I could have avoided. And God forbid if it ever happened, yes, I would spend every waking moment avenging them, and it won't be a quick painless punishment with a gun.

The percentage of random violence is so small compared to the overall numbers, that it is far more likely to get in a traffic accident, or contract a disease.
    So my point again is this...considering all of the possible negative consequences is it really worth it for such a small percentage threat?

For you maybe? For me, not so much. Damn this topic got serious huh? I think we need some
    \
    I really like this reply.^

And I say that as long as each of us is allowed to choose rather or not it is worth it for our own homes, thenthere is no argument.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Well, if that's the argument, then turn in your car. Cars are guilty of killing a whole lot more people than guns.

Hey, accidents are going to happen, right up until they secure enough funds to put everyone in their own cozy little prison cell. And even then, somehow, bad things will still happen.

I really like this reply.^

And I say that as long as each of us is allowed to choose rather or not it is worth it for our own homes, thenthere is no argument.

Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I don't own a firearm and don't really want to, and I don't begrudge anyone else’s right to own one. Like m0ef0e though I would much prefer that those who own firearms to be well trained in the proper handling of said firearms.

I agree. I think that if you have to be tested to drive a car, you should be tested and trained to use a firearm. And I don't begrudge any responsible person any reasonable freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    I've been shooting since I was eight. I never "played" with guns because I not only knew what they were and what they were capable of but they also lost their mystery to me at a young age. Gun safety is second-nature to me and I will probably teach my kids about the proper handling and use of guns at a fairly young age (assuming I ever have any). I had a friend who died in a hunting accident when i was fourteen (I wasn't there), but the cause was as Hayvern mentioned-- a mistake.

The people holding them are what make guns dangerous. Even if their intent is not malicious, an honest mistake can prove fatal when dealing with firearms. This is why I think it's good to become comfortable enough with them to the point that all habits of gun safety pretty much become instinct. I don't have to think about pointing my shotgun away from my dad or bro when we are in a duck blind because it's just automatic now. It's always there without me having to keep it in the front of my thoughts. Of course everybody should take a formal safety training course and become certified before handling or using guns. I've done it twice. They teach you the little things you normally may not think of and with something as potentially disastrous as guns, every little thing counts.
    It was the same for me growing up. My Dad made sure safety was #1 when handling a gun. By the time I was 10 it was no big deal to grab the ol .22 and go get a couple rabbits...on my own. you can take the words of Moefoe in bold and substitute car. Teach your children well!!

Guns,,,Cars...gotta get to work....gotta shoot someone. Almost seems like a similar comparison. One is a means of transport...the other to shoot and kill!! Seriously, having a gun is bad but driving a car is much worse. Justify it however you like, but look at the number of murders in the US vs other countries in the world. Something does not add up.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    It was the same for me growing up. My Dad made sure safety was #1 when handling a gun. By the time I was 10 it was no big deal to grab the ol .22 and go get a couple rabbits...on my own. you can take the words of Moefoe in bold and substitute car. Teach your children well!!
    I have to share...my only experience with a firearm was at a firing range a few months ago (I didn't even know we had then in Canada). I fired off a few rounds from a few different hand guns, mostly out of curiousity. Then I went back to my office and worked for the rest of the day...no big deal.
    The next day I flew to another city and watched as the usual and standard swab for explosives on my laptop turned horribly wrong and nearly ended up in a body cavity search. Apparently I failed to wash my hands sufficiently before typing on my laptop, and the swab picked it up.
    So yes kiddies...the moral is use your weapons responsibly or you may be facing the business end of an airport rent-a-cop with a lubed arm and a bad attitude.
    :bananen_smilies083:

Quote Originally Posted by Chief from the North View Post
    I have to share...my only experience with a firearm was at a firing range a few months ago (I didn't even know we had then in Canada). I fired off a few rounds from a few different hand guns, mostly out of curiousity. Then I went back to my office and worked for the rest of the day...no big deal.
    The next day I flew to another city and watched as the usual and standard swab for explosives on my laptop turned horribly wrong and nearly ended up in a body cavity search. Apparently I failed to wash my hands sufficiently before typing on my laptop, and the swab picked it up.
    So yes kiddies...the moral is use your weapons responsibly or you may be facing the business end of an airport rent-a-cop with a lubed arm and a bad attitude.
    :bananen_smilies083:
    That there's funny...personally I shoot at the range pretty often, and fly at least a couple times a week, and I've never had a problem. But that there is funny....them TSA rent-a-cops get a bit serious too!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Guns,,,Cars...gotta get to work....gotta shoot someone. Almost seems like a similar comparison. One is a means of transport...the other to shoot and kill!! Seriously, having a gun is bad but driving a car is much worse. Justify it however you like, but look at the number of murders in the US vs other countries in the world. Something does not add up.
    Well, I am always told that driving is a priveledge. Therefore, there is no "need" to it.

As far as the numbers... We are far from the leaders of that pack. And is it me, or are those numbers going to include the CRIMINALS that are going to get the guns either way?

Well, I am always told that driving is a priveledge. Therefore, there is no "need" to it.

As far as the numbers... We are far from the leaders of that pack. And is it me, or are those numbers going to include the CRIMINALS that are going to get the guns either way?

Making it difficult for folks to pay for gas is a pretty bad idea.

Driving may become a non issue.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast