Thread: Jamaal Charles's Prospects

Default Jamaal Charles's Prospects

A guy on footballguys.com has done an analysis of RBs based on just 3 things: age, weight, and draft position. He splits them into 9 groups based on these factors and the groups are pretty interesting.

As an example, group 1a is backs from 205-221 lbs, under 22.5 at the draft, and first 76 picks OR under 22.5, first 15 picks. In the last 10 years this consists of:
    Clinton Portis, Edgerrin James, Maurice Jones-Drew, Marshawn Lynch, Reggie Bush, Ahman Green, Laurence Maroney, Brandon Jackson, Kevin Jones, Thomas Jones, Jay Graham, LaDanian Tomlinson, Frank Gore, Adrian Peterson, Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, Kevin Smith

As you can see, group 1a is some very nice company to be in.
    Jamaal Charles is in his group 2b which is the same as group 1a, but with a near-miss on either age or weight (Charles was under 205 lbs).

This group consists of:
    Brian Calhoun, Maurice Morris, Byron Hanspard, Moe Williams, Tiki Barber, Ladell Betts, Michael Pittman, Julius Jones, Michael Bennett, Joseph Addai, DeAngelo Williams, Ray Rice, Jamaal Charles

There are some good names in that second list (Barber, & Addai especially), but there is a clear and significant difference in the two lists. There are only 2 guys on the first list out of 14 that I would consider busts, (Graham & Kevin Jones)...an argument could be made for a couple others, but at the very least all the others are quality starters.

On the second list there are at least 7 busts, and arguably 9 out of 11. (Barber & Addai are clearly quality picks, DeAngelo Williams and Julius Jones are in my opinion...)

So statistically, the first list is nearly a 90% positive draft pick, and the second list is closer to 25%...

I exempted the rookies from the analysis as their results aren't quantifiable.

I do think that Charles and Rice actually both will be quality RBs in the NFL...so the stats could improve slightly for that 2nd list.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

I'll be honest here. I don't know enough about any of them to make an informed, intelligent comment; which is just about pretty much par for the course for me.

Insteresting stats. My much less scientific approach, my gut, tells me that Charles could be a great change of pace back and very likely a 3rd down back that could catch and run for a combined 500-1000 yds. Great speed and hands never hurt anyone. The question is whether our QB will be able to get him the ball.

I want to see him on screens sooooo badly.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I'll be honest here. I don't know enough about any of them to make an informed, intelligent comment; which is just about pretty much par for the course for me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y"]YouTube - Zombie Kid Likes Turtles[/ame]

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Insteresting stats. My much less scientific approach, my gut, tells me that Charles could be a great change of pace back and very likely a 3rd down back that could catch and run for a combined 500-1000 yds. Great speed and hands never hurt anyone. The question is whether our QB will be able to get him the ball.

I think that will depend greatly upon our "O"line.

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post