Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Training Camp

Default Training Camp

Does anyone know the date that we scrimmage with the Viqueens?
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    You misunderstand.

He has quickness,

He lacks speed.

Two different things.
    Good point, I'm hoping that one will help him overcome the other, although should he go up against an elusive type QB he could have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I'm hoping the same. I don't think the Chiefs needs Hali to get 16 sacks this year. They just need him to get pressure on the QB. With Dorsey lined up next to him, Hali should see plenty of single coverage. I think he has the strength, speed, and quickness to put pressure on many of the QB's we will face. The Chiefs aren't the only team in the NFL that doesn't have an all-star LT.
    Agreed.

Until i see him display speed getting around the edge, I have to go by his 40 time, and what I've seen so far.

He's a high effort guy, but I haven't seen speed.
    For a DE the shuttle time has much more application to performance than the 40. The only time he'll run a 40 is if he doesn't read a screen and Donnie Edwards misses the tackle...otherwise he should be running 4-7 yards per play.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    For a DE the shuttle time has much more application to performance than the 40. The only time he'll run a 40 is if he doesn't read a screen and Donnie Edwards misses the tackle...otherwise he should be running 4-7 yards per play.
    True, but a shuttle time is a measure of both quickness and speed, and Hali has some quicks, but he's a slow.

Unless my memory is failing me, which is entirely possible, his shuttle time was nothing to write home about.

His slow 40 time is one of the reasons he fell from the top of the draft a couple of years ago into the Chiefs spot at 20.

I want speed to get around the edges.

Without that speed, he doesn't have enough of any other quality to succeed.
    Is that really why he fell? I thought it was because he only played football for a couple year and really didn't produce big time numbers in college, but was seen as a extremely raw but talented player.

I thought when we drafted him, everyone thought we reached. If he truly fell because of speed, many would have thought we got a steal.

Okay guys, not to muck up the mess, but he was a good college DE at Penn State, had plenty of sacks, as well he as a top prospect coming out of high school. Just to add another "theory" but I thought that he was considered "undersized" for defensive end and that was why people thought he would drop, not that he was slow, or didn't have a record of success?!

Please correct me if I'm wrong...I don't pretend to be a Chief's expert...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night (j/k on the dumpy Holiday Inn, but those are great commercials)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Hali played alot of DT in college. But the knock on him was that he didn't have the size to play DT in the NFL, and also lacked the speed to be an NFL DE.

Similar to the "Turk" McBride situation. Basically, without alot of bulking-up, both project as LDEs with solid run defense capabilities, but less than stellar pass-rushing skills.

Hali has pretty good sack totals for his two seasons, but the majority of his sacks have come when Allen, or someone else, was getting the initial pressure and flushing the QB Halis way.

I did notice that Hali finally made it around the RT to get some pressure a couple of times late last season.

But it is a whole different situation, trying to pass-rush against a teams premier, open field, pass-protector, (LT)than taking on the second best guy (RT).

I have some serious doubts about Halis ability to get pressure from this position.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Hali played alot of DT in college. But the knock on him was that he didn't have the size to play DT in the NFL, and also lacked the speed to be an NFL DE.

Similar to the "Turk" McBride situation. Basically, without alot of bulking-up, both project as LDEs with solid run defense capabilities, but less than stellar pass-rushing skills.

Hali has pretty good sack totals for his two seasons, but the majority of his sacks have come when Allen, or someone else, was getting the initial pressure and flushing the QB Halis way.

I did notice that Hali finally made it around the RT to get some pressure a couple of times late last season.

But it is a whole different situation, trying to pass-rush against a teams premier, open field, pass-protector, (LT)than taking on the second best guy (RT).

I have some serious doubts about Halis ability to get pressure from this position.
    I don't, I think he will be a storm!!! But I am a homer! yep.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

One major difference between the NFL and College is that in college you may be going up against people who do not have the skill level to make it in the NFL, so a stellar college career is not exactly and indication of how well one will perform in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Okay guys, not to muck up the mess, but he was a good college DE at Penn State, had plenty of sacks, as well he as a top prospect coming out of high school. Just to add another "theory" but I thought that he was considered "undersized" for defensive end and that was why people thought he would drop, not that he was slow, or didn't have a record of success?!

Please correct me if I'm wrong...I don't pretend to be a Chief's expert...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night (j/k on the dumpy Holiday Inn, but those are great commercials)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    One major difference between the NFL and College is that in college you may be going up against people who do not have the skill level to make it in the NFL, so a stellar college career is not exactly and indication of how well one will perform in the NFL.
    Both good points. I had also heard that many felt his was undersized to play D-line and that's why he dropped in the draft. And certainly when you look at a player's college stats, you have to consider who he played against to determine how close a player's stats reflects his true talent.
    Keeping my britches between the ditches! :character00182:

Quote Originally Posted by OTR Chiefs fan View Post
    Both good points. I had also heard that many felt his was undersized to play D-line and that's why he dropped in the draft. And certainly when you look at a player's college stats, you have to consider who he played against to determine how close a player's stats reflects his true talent.
    Eggsactly!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456