Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scouts Inc. ranks our O line

Default Scouts Inc. ranks our O line

32. Kansas City Chiefs
    Many commended the Chiefs for their selection of Branden Albert with the first-round pick they received in the Jared Allen deal. This isn't meant to condemn that selection one bit, since Albert will fit in somewhere on this line and should help out immediately, but it is amazing that Kansas City didn't bring in more young O-line talent besides Albert in this past draft. Instead, the Chiefs made luxury selections to back up their present offensive stars. The thing to remember is those offensive stars can't realize their potential if the big boys up front are not doing their jobs, and asking an inexperienced quarterback to develop into a legitimate starter without adequate blocking is foolish. This is an offensive line that is going to really struggle to do its job in 2008. There just isn't much talent here, and at this point, the aging Brian Waters is the only lineman who can be considered an above-average football player at this level. If Albert can make it at left tackle, Damion McIntosh should be adequate at right tackle. He doesn't belong on the left side, where he played last year. Optimistically, that adds up to three acceptable starters, but obviously, more are needed.

Hope this turns out better than what they expect...

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

These guys are idiots anyway.

McIntosh has no business on the right side.

His only position is LT, because he's a finesse blocker with no base.

Trying to drive block generally larger, stronger LDE's, or holding his position as a pass blocker is going to be extremely difficult for him unless he hits the weight room and adds some strength to his legs.

Do you think Albert will keep RDE's from getting to Croyle's blind side?

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

I think there'll be a learning curve, but I honestly feel he'll be better than McIntosh from the first game.

Mac is only adequate at LT.

He gave up, I believe, 6 sacks in 14 games last year, and has only one season in his career in which he's given up fewer.

I think Albert can match that in his first season, and he's a far better run blocker.

If Barry Richardson is already pushing McIntosh for playing time at RT, perhaps we found two O-line starters in this past draft. In doing so, I think the line would be best suited if McIntosh were to move to RG. If that could happen, our line conceivably could take a monumental leap forward! But i too don't think McIntosh till make a good RT. It's either LT or guard for that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    These guys are idiots anyway.

McIntosh has no business on the right side.

His only position is LT, because he's a finesse blocker with no base.

Trying to drive block generally larger, stronger LDE's, or holding his position as a pass blocker is going to be extremely difficult for him unless he hits the weight room and adds some strength to his legs.
    I think Tosh is better suited for RT, in this case, because he can't run-block. If Albert stays at LT, then we actually have a side to run toward, with Waters already over there.

Pass-protecting against the lesser of two pass-rushers, (generally, the better pass-rusher is at RDE) should play to his advantage.

But then, if a late-round rookie OT picked by Herm is challenging him there, then he must be looking like complete garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I think Tosh is better suited for RT, in this case, because he can't run-block. If Albert stays at LT, then we actually have a side to run toward, with Waters already over there.

Pass-protecting against the lesser of two pass-rushers, (generally, the better pass-rusher is at RDE) should play to his advantage.

But then, if a late-round rookie OT picked by Herm is challenging him there, then he must be looking like complete garbage.
    This is the problem!! We need someone who can protect as well as run block. Tosh has proven he is not that guy!! Not to mention our starting RB prefers to go left more than he does right!

At this time of year... that black hole void where we are starving for anything about the Chiefs... I guess this works. But, I have to agree, IMHO< that we should have picked some guys that were just sitting there in the third and fouth,fifth rounds that can play O-line center or guard and were nasty,scrappy players.

Quote Originally Posted by CHIEFCANNON View Post
    At this time of year... that black hole void where we are starving for anything about the Chiefs... I guess this works. But, I have to agree, IMHO< that we should have picked some guys that were just sitting there in the third and fouth,fifth rounds that can play O-line center or guard and were nasty,scrappy players.
    This would have been the best strategy if we were trying to win a championship this year. But we're not. They are building and took the best players on the board. I like how our draft shaped up. I just wish they would have addressed some of the o-line issues in free agency. That is where they really screwed up and I think they would acknowledge that.

Quote Originally Posted by CHIEFCANNON View Post
    That is when you start reaching for players. You have to pick the best players on your board. If it ends up you have to 2 pro-bowl running backs or QB's, you trade one for more picks.

There is a lot more holes on this team than OL. We also filled needs at other postions instead of reaching on players like Will Svitek who are projects.

We filled a need at TE with a blocking tight end to replace Jason Dunn, and also may have found a starter at WR, or at least a #3 receiver.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast