Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: If only we had a O-Line to protect him!

Default If only we had a O-Line to protect him!

Where have we seen this before?

Jul 08, 2008, 3:01:05 AM by Jonathan Rand - FAQ

The unfolding Brett Favre soap opera should seem familiar to Chiefs fans. Didn’t we see a similar show at Arrowhead Stadium a year ago, albeit with a less famous quarterback?
    A young quarterback, Brodie Croyle, was the presumptive starter a few months before he stumbled in the preseason. Former Pro Bowler Trent Green complained he wasn’t getting a fair chance to keep the job he’d held for six years, and he was given permission to seek a trade.
    Yet, even as the Chiefs were trying to move him to the Dolphins, Green reported to Arrowhead for voluntary spring workouts. He was trying to turn up the pressure on the Chiefs, whose negotiations were stalemated. It took another month for them to close the deal.
    What should have been a routine spat between the Chiefs and Green turned into major nationwide sports news. Public demand for NFL news in the offseason far exceeds the supply.
    It doesn’t take a lot of imagination to envision the circus that would surround Favre and the Packers if developments continue the direction they seemed headed. First, he retired, setting his five-year clock for Hall of Fame induction. Early rumors of his return seemed unfounded.
    More recently, however, Favre’s relatives gave legs to talk of Favre’s return. His brother, Scott, claimed a comeback was a 50-50 possibility. His mother, Bonita, claimed that Packers general manager Ted Thompson lacked enthusiasm for bringing Favre back, and that Favre no longer felt welcome with the team. Favre, meanwhile, hasn’t said much.
    The Packers prepared carefully for life after Favre, who had a bang-up season in 2007 before ending it with an interception that allowed the Giants to continue their championship run. The Packers named Aaron Rodgers to start and drafted quarterbacks Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn.
    Should Favre notify the NFL office that he wishes to return, the Packers would have to activate or release him. If they’d want him back, there’d be no problem. But if they don’t want his back, they’d face a touchy situation, to say the least.
    They Packers obviously wouldn’t release him because of his trade value and because they don’t want him calling signals for a division rival, or any other NFC team for that matter.
    If Favre wants to play but he’s not wanted in Green Bay, the Packers could well face the predicament the Chiefs faced last spring. If they don’t trade him before training camp begins July 27, they could not prevent him from taking snaps along with Rodgers and the rookies. That circus would make the Chiefs’ episode with Green seem like a backyard juggling act.
    Cable channels would be showing us Favre 24/7 and everybody in camp, right down to the ball boys, would get the chance to tell America whether they think Favre should be the team’s starter.
    The Packers obviously would not relish the spectacle of their foremost franchise icon since the Lombardi era griping about being held hostage.
    Because Favre’s coming off a strong season – 4,155 yards and 28 touchdown passes – it’s tempting to assume he’s still in his prime. But he’ll turn 39 in October and had back-to-back mediocre seasons before 2007.
    The Chiefs have more experience than most teams with successful quarterbacks who needed a change in scenery near the end of their careers. The club’s evaluations have proved accurate.
    Green took over as the Dolphins’ starter only to suffer a concussion for the second straight season. He’s now moved on to the Rams as Marc Bulger’s backup.
    In 1993, the Chiefs traded for Joe Montana, arguably the best quarterback of all time, but who was coming off injury problems that led to his replacement in San Francisco by Steve Young. Though Montana in his two years with the Chiefs was no longer the great player he’d once been, he led them to the AFC championship game in 1993. They haven’t advanced that far since.
    Montana’s departure from San Francisco and the fans’ enduring loyalty to him made Young’s life difficult, and filled with boos, until he threw six touchdown passes in a Super Bowl victory over the Chargers in the January, 1995 Super Bowl. So you can imagine the pressure that would hound Rodgers in Green Bay if Favre winds up in another uniform.
    If Favre wants to come back to the Packers and they’re willing to tear up their succession plan for now, perhaps both can live happily ever after. Otherwise, ill will could pollute the skies of Green Bay.
    Once egos, money and public opinion get involved, there’s no civil way to resolve these things.

If only? I would try to get him, for a season or two. He could help develop our young QB's and wins some games for us! Just my thoughts anyway.
    Post away what if Brett became a Chief?

Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    If you are suggesting that Croyle needs more than this year to dEvelop, I would agree with you.

However, everything we've read suggests that this year is all he's going to get.

With that in mind, I don't expect Croyle to put up numbers that we can write home about.

What he can do is show improvement in his decision making.

He has to show that he can checkdown or simply throw the ball away.

He has to show that he can stay away from trying to force things.

That's what I'll be looking for to see if he can grow into the position.

Since you have no confidence in Albert to play LT, there really isn't any point in debating this, but what the hell, I like to argue.

If Albert were the only O-Lineman we drafted, his presense at LT improves two positons, his and RT.

I don't like McIntosh at RT, but even if I'm wrong about Barry Richardson eventually taking that spot from him, we still are better there than we were at any time last year.

I also don't care for Adrain Jones and think that either Herb Taylor (who I like alot) or Chris McDuffie will eventually displace, but again, even if I'm wrong, Jones is an improvement over anyone we played there last year except Rudy Niswanger.

Which brings us to center.

Niswanger showed us at RG that he is a solid player last year, and he is a better fit at center for what this team does now than Weigman.

So the fact is, regardless of how things play out on the right side, we are (substantially) better all across the line this year.

The fact that he played as well as he did behind that pathetic excuse of an O-Line at Alabama is the very reason that I think we can learn alot about him this year.

We know he has talent.
    His experience at Alabama shows us he has the courage to stand in and make plays under pressure.

What we need to find out is if he can play smart.

Please.

6 starts.

That isn't nearly enough time for anyone to get to screwed up to recover.
    Well, I was going to make a bunch of points here, but Seek seems to have beaten me to it.

The fact is that your speculation has led you to believe that this o-line is so much better than last years, but your speculation doesn't mean anything more than that.

As for the "Albert would have been..." subject, more speculation. Just a bunch of opinions that are based on guess-work.

Yeah, I know, the best NFL analysts said it... But aren't they made to look pretty stupid, for one remark or another, every year?

Isn't there always some surprises as to who is better than whom?

Anything that they guess at, is little better than what anyone else guesses at.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Well, I was going to make a bunch of points here, but Seek seems to have beaten me to it.

The fact is that your speculation has led you to believe that this o-line is so much better than last years, but your speculation doesn't mean anything more than that.

As for the "Albert would have been..." subject, more speculation. Just a bunch of opinions that are based on guess-work.

Yeah, I know, the best NFL analysts said it... But aren't they made to look pretty stupid, for one remark or another, every year?

Isn't there always some surprises as to who is better than whom?

Anything that they guess at, is little better than what anyone else guesses at.

Then let them look stupid I guess... meaningless? just cuz they said it. Albert's record is the record. That's what the opinion was based on... you don't have to like it or agree.

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

im sorry but im not going to concern myself with farve. croyle is our qb atm. do i wish we still had atleast, trent green? yes. do i wish we had a coach mroe like cowher? yes. do i wish we had a more experienced owner than clark? yes. although, i do know that clark has told herm and king carl, either we improve or get out. although, i think its more pointed at carl. cya.

jtandcrew

Quote Originally Posted by CHIEFCANNON View Post
    Then let them look stupid I guess... meaningless? just cuz they said it. Albert's record is the record. That's what the opinion was based on... you don't have to like it or agree.
    Don't get us wrong Cannon.. We want to be wrong, however even if it was the being the best rated tackle in the NFL does not mean they will come in and dominate their rookie year.

Take John Tait for example. He was the best LT taken the year we drafted. He didn't even get the start until half way through the season and did an okay job. Not great not horrible.

Then you can look at Joe Thomas who many over looked and said didn't have the tools to be a LT and he dominated.

At this time, their is plenty of potential there for Albert but it isn't a fair statement to expect him to greatly improve the postion during his rookie year. He could, but that is speculation based on hope.

Those analysts are right about things every year too. Remember when they said "WTF?" about Boomer Grigsby??? I do....

Just saying the hype isn't all there is too it, but with the team we had evaluating talent, I think the hype is correct!!!

Quote Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
    Those analysts are right about things every year too. Remember when they said "WTF?" about Boomer Grigsby??? I do....

Just saying the hype isn't all there is too it, but with the team we had evaluating talent, I think the hype is correct!!!
    Two words.. Ryan Sims... Another two words. Trazelle Jenkins.... here is another two.. Derrick Johnson. They (analysts) bashed the guy for not taking on blockers.

If they were always right, they would be working for some team and not publishing their BS biased opinions to people who don't know. If they are also right, Albert would have gone earlier than 15th...

Again, I am not saying they are WRONG. I am just saying there is some very high unfair spectations being presented to him.

I didn't say they were always right, the only reason I believe them this year is because of the current evaluators we have. They didn't evaluate Sims, Jenkins or Craphonso Thorpe!

I didn't say they were always right, the only reason I believe them this year is because of the current evaluators we have. They didn't evaluate Sims, Jenkins or Craphonso Thorpe!
    But they did evaluate Justin Medlock, and a bunch of other no longer Chief player. I think Marcus Maxey was another.

Frankly, other than Bowe, Tamba, Page and excluding this year picks because I haven't seen them play yet. I am not sure I like the current evaluators any better than what we had...

Ok, Medlock is a good point, but it wasn't his physical skills that blew, it was his character and mental set, both of which are VERY difficult to evaluate. Your gonna whiff on those a lot of the time. Even if your the best at it. Example...Indianapolis signed Thorpe last year! Cut him this year.

I have alot of trust in our staffs ability to evaluate talent, just not o-line talent.

The fact that they drafted a college OG to play NFL OT in the middle of the first round is a big part of that.

Your team has one of five o-line positions that is set. And you are gonna take that kind of chance with your only o-line pick in the first five rounds?

It's a big enough risk taking the college OT and expecting him to play NFL OT.

They had better be right, because this will make them look very good, or very bad.