Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: If only we had a O-Line to protect him!

Default If only we had a O-Line to protect him!

Where have we seen this before?

Jul 08, 2008, 3:01:05 AM by Jonathan Rand - FAQ

The unfolding Brett Favre soap opera should seem familiar to Chiefs fans. Didn’t we see a similar show at Arrowhead Stadium a year ago, albeit with a less famous quarterback?
    A young quarterback, Brodie Croyle, was the presumptive starter a few months before he stumbled in the preseason. Former Pro Bowler Trent Green complained he wasn’t getting a fair chance to keep the job he’d held for six years, and he was given permission to seek a trade.
    Yet, even as the Chiefs were trying to move him to the Dolphins, Green reported to Arrowhead for voluntary spring workouts. He was trying to turn up the pressure on the Chiefs, whose negotiations were stalemated. It took another month for them to close the deal.
    What should have been a routine spat between the Chiefs and Green turned into major nationwide sports news. Public demand for NFL news in the offseason far exceeds the supply.
    It doesn’t take a lot of imagination to envision the circus that would surround Favre and the Packers if developments continue the direction they seemed headed. First, he retired, setting his five-year clock for Hall of Fame induction. Early rumors of his return seemed unfounded.
    More recently, however, Favre’s relatives gave legs to talk of Favre’s return. His brother, Scott, claimed a comeback was a 50-50 possibility. His mother, Bonita, claimed that Packers general manager Ted Thompson lacked enthusiasm for bringing Favre back, and that Favre no longer felt welcome with the team. Favre, meanwhile, hasn’t said much.
    The Packers prepared carefully for life after Favre, who had a bang-up season in 2007 before ending it with an interception that allowed the Giants to continue their championship run. The Packers named Aaron Rodgers to start and drafted quarterbacks Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn.
    Should Favre notify the NFL office that he wishes to return, the Packers would have to activate or release him. If they’d want him back, there’d be no problem. But if they don’t want his back, they’d face a touchy situation, to say the least.
    They Packers obviously wouldn’t release him because of his trade value and because they don’t want him calling signals for a division rival, or any other NFC team for that matter.
    If Favre wants to play but he’s not wanted in Green Bay, the Packers could well face the predicament the Chiefs faced last spring. If they don’t trade him before training camp begins July 27, they could not prevent him from taking snaps along with Rodgers and the rookies. That circus would make the Chiefs’ episode with Green seem like a backyard juggling act.
    Cable channels would be showing us Favre 24/7 and everybody in camp, right down to the ball boys, would get the chance to tell America whether they think Favre should be the team’s starter.
    The Packers obviously would not relish the spectacle of their foremost franchise icon since the Lombardi era griping about being held hostage.
    Because Favre’s coming off a strong season – 4,155 yards and 28 touchdown passes – it’s tempting to assume he’s still in his prime. But he’ll turn 39 in October and had back-to-back mediocre seasons before 2007.
    The Chiefs have more experience than most teams with successful quarterbacks who needed a change in scenery near the end of their careers. The club’s evaluations have proved accurate.
    Green took over as the Dolphins’ starter only to suffer a concussion for the second straight season. He’s now moved on to the Rams as Marc Bulger’s backup.
    In 1993, the Chiefs traded for Joe Montana, arguably the best quarterback of all time, but who was coming off injury problems that led to his replacement in San Francisco by Steve Young. Though Montana in his two years with the Chiefs was no longer the great player he’d once been, he led them to the AFC championship game in 1993. They haven’t advanced that far since.
    Montana’s departure from San Francisco and the fans’ enduring loyalty to him made Young’s life difficult, and filled with boos, until he threw six touchdown passes in a Super Bowl victory over the Chargers in the January, 1995 Super Bowl. So you can imagine the pressure that would hound Rodgers in Green Bay if Favre winds up in another uniform.
    If Favre wants to come back to the Packers and they’re willing to tear up their succession plan for now, perhaps both can live happily ever after. Otherwise, ill will could pollute the skies of Green Bay.
    Once egos, money and public opinion get involved, there’s no civil way to resolve these things.

If only? I would try to get him, for a season or two. He could help develop our young QB's and wins some games for us! Just my thoughts anyway.
    Post away what if Brett became a Chief?

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I have alot of trust in our staffs ability to evaluate talent, just not o-line talent.

The fact that they drafted a college OG to play NFL OT in the middle of the first round is a big part of that.

Your team has one of five o-line positions that is set. And you are gonna take that kind of chance with your only o-line pick in the first five rounds?

It's a big enough risk taking the college OT and expecting him to play NFL OT.

They had better be right, because this will make them look very good, or very bad.
    The Chiefs moved up to get Albert because the Eagles wanted to move up to take him, and were looking to move him to OT also.

There were also other teams that wanted to do the same.

So the Chiefs weren't the only group of talent evaluators that saw him as a tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Elway was CRAP!!! Now that is over-rated.

You seem to be the foremost expert in everything that has ever occured on a football field, since you used so many caps.

But maybe you can just take a look at a couple of things...

INTs are usually thrown under pressure. I have seen a career of highlight of Favres TDs and INTS. And both tend to occur under intense pressure.

Favre creates the running game, because defenses are worried about Brett Favre, not Samkon Gado, or whoever the hell they may be running with this week.

It is ludacris to compare the talent that Favre has had, to the talent that Montana had. You can pckage-up all of the WR that have played in the Packers' division over Favres career, and I will take Jerry Rice over the lot.

And you can take all of the head coaches from that same division/era as well, and I want Bill Walsh.

You keep on about how many INTs Favre threw, and how he has the most of all-time. But did he throw any TDs? Did he throw more passes than everyone else too?

You might be able to figure out that when you throw more passes, more of them will be INTs.

Favre threw 442 TDs. Montana threw 273. And Favre had that amazing running game that was absorbing all of those stats too!

The fact is, that I have been saying that I can't make head-to-head comparison between the two, because of all of the different circumstances, and you go on a shouting-spree about how obviously the circumstances seem to favor Favre.

I don't care. You will never convince me that Favre had as many advantages as Montana.

YELLING YOUR OPINION OUT LOUD, DOESN"T CHANGE THAT IT IS AN OPINION!!!
    I just now to got read this so im sorry if im late. But i do have to say i love how u just list off any acomplishment that any player has ever made for green bay during favres career, was only because of brett favre. So, i guess it was favre running it between the tackles and not green. and i guess favre was catching all those rocket passes he threw too. And as far as all those interceptions he threw, that u just put off as it was because he was always under pressure, that tends to happen when your waiting for a WR to run 40 yards before you throwit, because you want to go deep on every play. Dont blame it on the o-line. Now im not saying he played under the best o line of all time but i am saying they sure the heck look alot better when your takin the smart play instead of waiting 8 sec or more so u can go deep on every play. OH, and by the way they did look alot better last year, didnt they? I wonder if that had any thing do with favre playing smart last year? finnaly just going for what was there instead of trying to score on every play. But heres the differece between someone like favre and montana, When the game matters the most montana calmly just takes the ball down the field like its just practice and wins you that game. Now, favre he gets excited and goes bank on one play and throws a game ending interception to a wr whos not even that open on horrible boneheaded throw. Now, as far as rice, im not debating that he wasnt the greatest WR of all time because i know he was the greatest. But good things come in pairs! Greatest QB of all time and Greatest WR of all time. One just doesnt produce the other, they produce each other! The fact is u keep saying that favre did it all with the least and i proved he had talent around him. And if u want to talk about being great without the most talented WR, I guess your saying J.J. Birden and Willie Davis were greater than any of favres WRs because i seem to rember montana making both of them look like rockstars and winning with them and still throwing few picks just like he always did. Its funning how favre threw alot of picks because he didnt have the most talented wrs but yet montana still played smart and threw few picks with equal WRs if not less than equal to green bays WRs , during Montanas stint with the chiefs. And no favre doesnt have all the records. Try the most important record, superbowls! Hes not even close. Try lookin at bradshaw for somethin like that! Infact, the more i hear you talk, the more i think you no nothing about the Xs and Os of the game. Never giving facts or even stats about your opions, Just simply acting as a puppet of the media, only repeating what you hear on espn, having no true concept of the inner works of the game. Let me take it a step farther, I think your another fantasy football player dumbing down the pure knowledge of the game, going bye what looks good on paper instead factoring in all the different varibles of the game. U think any style of play will fit any style of offence and still produce the same result, do u not realize that walsh's style of play was buit on not throwing interceptions and taking what was there, even if that meant long time consuming drives. You didnt even know it was called the westcoast offence untill i told you. And as i said before Walsh s west coast offence, although using passes was a more snazzy form of ball control. Se he figured u throw a little 5YARD dump off to the back or a wr and thats like pretty good run. Now does that really sound like gunslinger favre. Now, i admitted he(favre) tryed to change his way this year and worked to extent but when game matter the most he resorted back to his old ways and it lost him the game. Lack of Patience lost him the game, something montana had plenty of. See you didnt have to force this style of play on montana because it already was his style of play. Awarness, patience, touch, accurracy. And if u forgot where my facts and stats proving this can scroll through to about page 8,9,10,11, maybe even farther back.

this also goes to chiefs31s comment further back when he said favre would been just as great if he played for the 49ers offence with those players

I must interject here that, this thread has been very interesting, and being born of a, what if, has proved to be extremely interesting to say the lest.
    Thread of the year??, or at least the off season or something like that?

Tammie?
    Last edited by tornadospotter; 07-28-2008 at 12:46 PM.

I must interject here that, this thread has been very interesting, and being born of a, what if, has proved to be extremely interesting. Perhaps thread of the of the Off season award? Tammie? You know you want to give me an award at the home opener!

Quote Originally Posted by milkman View Post
    The Chiefs moved up to get Albert because the Eagles wanted to move up to take him, and were looking to move him to OT also.

There were also other teams that wanted to do the same.

So the Chiefs weren't the only group of talent evaluators that saw him as a tackle.
    I know it has only been three days, but everything I have read is confirming what I said earlier. He is a rookie playing a new postion at a level that he must adjust to. He is clearly showing that his technique is not there, but is extremely talented.

That being said, until the catches up to the game and the position. He will be inconsistent this year. To consider him an improvement at LT isn't a fair prediction. Now he may be a better LT by week 16.

Back on topic of thread!
    Albert will be a Red and Gold storm!
    Ok now back on topic of thread!

But lets get down to it, yes or no, if Farve was in Chiefs gear at the beginning of the season, would you want him? and would you want him as the starting QB? I say yes I would want him, and no to the starting QB!
    I want Brodie to be the QB and be successful!
    Last edited by tornadospotter; 07-28-2008 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    Back on topic of thread!
    Albert will be a Red and Gold storm!
    Ok now back on topic of thread!

But lets get down to it, yes or no, if Farve was in Chiefs gear at the beginning of the season, would you want him? and would you want him as the starting QB? I say yes I would want him, and no to the starting QB!
    I want Brodie to be the QB and be successful!
    No I don't want him. There is no reason to have him. ZERO.... We already got rid of our aging QB in Trent Green and we are starting to phase out our other Aging QB with Huard.

The future of this team is Croyle, Thigpen or some other QB that will be a franchise QB. Having a decorated and successful back up is nothing more than a highly paid coach, taking up a roster spot for some other youngster.

I think Huard can sit on the bench just as well as Brett.

Quote Originally Posted by KiNgSmOkEy View Post
    waiting 8 sec or more so u can go deep on every play. OH, and by the way they did look alot better last year, didnt they? I wonder if that had any thing do with favre playing smart last year?
    First...which WR runs the 8 second 40??

Second...I believe Favre single handedly won the Donkeys game with a bomb down the field and did the same thing against us. It was our QB who took the "smart plays" and got picked off in the end. It is easy to sit back in your chair now and question all of the bad plays Favre has made, but he has made some absolutely miraculous plays that make football exciting to watch. If you want to see "safe" plays all the time, go simulate a game of Madden. Favre made the game exciting and won a lot doing it. Pointing out his mistakes does not make him a bad QB. If you are going to point out all his INTs, why not point out all his TDs and wins too? Remember the MNF game against the gayders after his dad dies? One of the greatest games ever. I am not saying that he should come play for the Chiefs this year, but i think it is funny that you question someones knowledge of football and then argue that Favre is not one of the best ever.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    No I don't want him. There is no reason to have him. ZERO.... We already got rid of our aging QB in Trent Green and we are starting to phase out our other Aging QB with Huard.

The future of this team is Croyle, Thigpen or some other QB that will be a franchise QB. Having a decorated and successful back up is nothing more than a highly paid coach, taking up a roster spot for some other youngster.

I think Huard can sit on the bench just as well as Brett.
    You are very right, but if I was to chose a QB benchwarmer/coach, I would take Farve over Huard! But its not going to happen anyway, its just what if!