Thread: Rams Sign Chris Long, its Dorsey's Turn Now

Default Rams Sign Chris Long, its Dorsey's Turn Now

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    07/19/2008

The Rams on Saturday reached a contract agreement with Chris Long, the No. 2 overall selection in April’s NFL draft. Terms of the deal were not immediately available, although coach Scott Linehan indicated that it covers at least five years.

The deal, which Long is expected to sign early next week, guarantees that the 6-foot-3, 279-pound defensive end from the University of Virginia, will join his teammates when they report to Concordia University in Mequon, Wis., on Thursday. Practices begin Friday.

Long is the son of NFL Hall of Famer and current Fox network broadcaster Howie Long and the Rams’ highest overall draft selection since 1997, when they took tackle Orlando Pace with the No. 1 pick. Long is expected to start at right end, opposite veteran Leonard Little.

Jay Zygmunt, the Rams’ president of football operations and general manager, had met with Long’s Los Angeles-based agent, Marvin Demoff, several times before the deal was completed Saturday.

Linehan acknowledged that he was relieved to have Long in the fold. "I was kind of anxious to get moving on this," Linehan said. "There’s nothing guaranteed about when a guy’s going to sign and be in camp. He was obviously a high-profile pick for us, and I’m really excited about it."

Contracts for the Nos. 1 and 3 overall draft picks, Michigan tackle Jake Long and Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, respectively, were completed early. Miami signed Long to a five-year, $57.75 million contract, five days before the April 26-27 draft. Ryan received a six-year, $72 million deal from Atlanta Falcons on April 20.

Long is the fourth of the Rams’ eight draft picks in the fold. Previously signed were tackle John Greco (third round), wide receiver Keenan Burton (fourth) and guard Roy Schuening (fifth). Unsigned are wide receiver Donnie Avery (second), cornerback Justin King (fourth), and linebackers Chris Chamberlain (seventh) and David Vobora (seventh).

The others, Linehan said, should fall into line rapidly now that Long has a deal. "I don’t anticipate any problems with getting everbody signed by the time we start camp," he said. "You never say never, but it would be pretty uncommon for anything to hold up the next group of guys."

THE BIGGEST KANSAS CITY CHIEF FAN IN ST. LOUIS
    Remember, Stupidity kills more people than evil does.

Don't expect anything soon! CP and ownerships pockets are so tight they need lube to get their checkbook out!!!!!! I mean hell, they have to feed their families right?

the flip side is that fans need to feed their families also. these rookie salaries need to be addressed and soon or they'll price themselves out of a job when no one can afford to go to the games! not trying to defend CP by the way....it really irks me with the money these(rookies) expect to make because they were picked in the 1st round! anyone else here get paid top wages on their first job? or did you have to earn that bump in pay?

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    Don't expect anything soon! CP and ownerships pockets are so tight they need lube to get their checkbook out!!!!!! I mean hell, they have to feed their families right?