Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dorsey?

Default Dorsey?

CHIEFS, DORSEY SUSPEND TALKS

Posted by Mike Florio on July 24, 2008, 10:02 p.m. EDT
    The last time the Chiefs used a top-ten pick on a defensive tackle, the contract impasse lasted into the regular season.
    This time around, it likely will last at least until the guy drafted after Glenn Dorsey signs a contract.
    For now, the team opted to suspend talks because agent Joel Segal wants to wait for more picks to sign before doing a deal.
    “Our comment to Glenn Dorsey’s agent was: Look it, since you don’t want to negotiate, we’re going to go to camp and get started,” G.M. Carl Peterson said. ”When you want to negotiate, you know how to reach us, so give me a phone call.”
    When it comes to negotiating first-round contracts, Segal’s reputation is to wait for the player drafted in front of and behind his client to agree to terms. Segal then does a deal that falls between the two packages.
    The practice flows (in our opinion) from a combination of laziness and fear. A slotted deal is easy to do when a ceiling and a floor have been established. Besides, an agent who negotiates a contract before the next player signs risks being leapfrogged.
    In this case, Jets linebacker Vernon Gholston is the next player behind Dorsey. In fairness, then, Gholston’s agent, Ben Dogra, should get a commission not only from his client but also from Dorsey, since Dogra’s work will make it easier (and safer) for Segal to proceed. (sigh)

Gholston is signed, apparently.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Hea...=NFL&hl=118504

Middle of the page.

Rookies need to have set salaries for their first year.

pick 1 makes $x.

pick 2 makes $y.

...and so forth. These hold-outs are getting stale. We're coming off a 4-12 season. Everybody needs to be in camp. Rookies especially need to be there because they are learning a new system.

I'm gonna stop going to work until I get a raise.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Gholsten signed today, this helps.

THE BIGGEST KANSAS CITY CHIEF FAN IN ST. LOUIS
    Remember, Stupidity kills more people than evil does.

In most cases, i'd blame Peterson for a long hold out. But, if there were ever a year to have a tough time getting your rookies into camp on time, it would be this year with 12 draft picks and several undrafted guys that we're gonna be takin a look at. That being said, Peterson has done a HELL OF A JOB getting these guys to camp. I place the fault of Dorsey's absence on Segal. How could you possibly call yourself an agent when you settle for slot money every time you get a top 10 pick. It's not just top 10 picks either. He did this same sh@# with Bowe last year as well. I can't wait till he represents three guys who get drafted back to back to back and he actually has to do some work.

This is BS. Thank god for Gholston's agent. Now we should be able to get Dorsey in camp by today or tomorrow at the very latest. If he's not in camp by today or tomorrow, we need to go hunt this guy down.... what a douche bag.

There has NEVER been a break in negotiations whatsoever. It's just a tactic that CP uses to negotiate through the media. It's a part of the process. I'd BE shocked if he's not in Camp on Monday when the team has their first drills in pads now that Gholsten is signed. Dorsey wants to come to camp.
    You MUST understand the games agents and GMs play. It's cat and mouse and it's rather silly. But we're used to it by now and this is nothing more than a chess match. We're talking about a lot of guaranteed dollars and the fact the Cardinals grossly overpaid for Levi Brown a year ago, really has this deal all messed up.

The 2008 slotting numbers are in place but the fact Arizona gave him $62 million means Drosey wants at a minimum 5% higher than that. Meaning if the deal ranges six years it'll like take around $65 million and about $25 guarnateed to get done in Segals' mind.

The slotting number is around $60 million with a SB of $23-25 million, because that's what McFadden and Gholston received. Plus the main factor WHY I believe this deal gets done before Monday is that team Owner Clark Hunt will be in River Falls this weekend. Need I say more? And Plus its my birthday on Tuesday, and I would love that as a gift. One can only hope.

THE BIGGEST KANSAS CITY CHIEF FAN IN ST. LOUIS
    Remember, Stupidity kills more people than evil does.

Right now, it doesn't mind if Gholston and the others have signed or not. Segal has already stated that he wants #2-#3 pick type money. CP isn't willing to give that, and I don't blame him, for once.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Right now, it doesn't mind if Gholston and the others have signed or not. Segal has already stated that he wants #2-#3 pick type money. CP isn't willing to give that, and I don't blame him, for once.
    I say we hang Segal!
    :damnit: :character00147:

I agree that it's hard to blame Carl for this one. An article in the KC star yesterday reported that Segal's starting price for Dorsey was 70 million. He'd be one of the highest paid defensive players (along with JA) in the league without even putting on pads. I understand that it's only the starting price, but c'mon. It's one thing to be firm with your negotiations, it's another thing to be outright ridiculous. Rookies should have set salaries and if they want more money, then they can prove themselves and get contract extensions. Sounds pretty fair to me.
    The thing that ticks me off more and more about these negotiations is the fact that it forces the fans to turn against their beloved draft picks. We now have to justify not paying him a ridiculous amount of money based on the flaws that we tend to ignore on draft day. It's like "Well, Glenn Dorsey is an amazing player BUT he might be injury prone so we shouldn't spend THAT much money on him", when a few months ago everyone seemed to look past the negatives.
    Last edited by Nel Toille; 07-25-2008 at 04:37 PM.

The whole draft and value of where drafted is messed up. The NFL should just do away with the draft... Then set limits on rookie and 2 year salary's. Let them all be free agents that have to earn there value on the playing field! Go ahead and give a signing bonus, but prove yourself before any guaranteed money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast