Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Profootballweekly take on the Chiefs and the Fin`s

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

Default Profootballweekly take on the Chiefs and the Fin`s

Given everything that’s transpired over the offseason, you would think that the vibes emanating out of Kansas City and Miami these days would be similar. Both the Chiefs and the Dolphins took almost identical approaches to rebuilding their clubs, each deciding that an influx of young, fresh faces would be needed in the hopes of reversing their fortunes.
    Each of them started by cutting a host of aging stalwarts, with the Chiefs bidding farewell to the likes of Ty Law and Eddie Kennison, just as the Dolphins asked Trent Green and Keith Traylor to turn in their playbooks. They each stockpiled the draft picks in April and aimed first to rebuild in the trenches — both teams’ top two picks were spent on linemen. Both avoided shelling out gobs of cash to high-priced free agents. And, perhaps most strikingly, each traded away their star defensive end, with the Chiefs sending Jared Allen up to Minnesota and the Fins shipping Jason Taylor up to the District.
    Yet despite all the similarities the teams share, they are hardly on equal footing when it comes to the future. In Miami, optimism has been restored, whereas in Kansas City, the outlook is bleaker than it has ever been.
    Say what you will about a Chiefs draft class that appears strong on paper, it hardly makes up for a litany of poor decisions, the most glaring of which was to split with Allen. Simply put, Allen’s the best defensive lineman in the league today and is only now entering the prime of his career. Yet, because of the Chiefs’ stubborn refusal to offer him the type of long-term deal a player of his caliber deserves, they set themselves back immeasurably. Perhaps it’s somewhat justifiable to say that the club was scared off by his two DUI arrests, but he nevertheless represents a stock with far too high a ceiling not to have invested in him. With Taylor, on the other hand, the Dolphins received second- and sixth-round picks for a player who probably has one more season left in the tank.
    Both Miami and Kansas City claim that they’re building for the future, but Miami’s the only one that’s actually practicing what they preach. The Chiefs are merely overhauling their roster in the hope that new faces translate to more wins.
    In either rookie Chad Henne or second-year pro John Beck, the Dolphins have reason to believe that their quarterback of the future is already in place. Both were second-round picks the last two years and have the upside to eventually develop into franchise quarterbacks. The Chiefs have Brodie Croyle. In his six career starts, Croyle has failed to lead the team to victory. Although it may be premature to completely write off a passer entering his third season, there’s enough of a body of work to have serious doubts as to his ability. Yet, instead of grooming a touted youngster in the likelihood Croyle doesn’t pan out, the Chiefs chose to ignore football’s most important position in their offseason bounty.
    Bill Parcells
    The derivation of the dichotomy between the future of the franchises is abundantly clear. In Miami, owner Wayne Huizenga pulled off a coup when he lured Bill Parcells away from ESPN to become the club’s executive VP of football operations. Given Parcells’ track record in resurrecting moribund clubs, the fact that he’s already put the Fins on a distinct track for success shouldn’t be surprising. On the other hand, Chiefs president Carl Peterson, who’s been in charge of making the personnel moves for two decades, has demonstrated incompetence time and again in sustaining success.
    The irony in all this is that, if anything, the roles of the Dolphins and Chiefs should be reversed. In Miami, Huizenga is nearing the end of his ownership, yet he is setting owner-in-waiting Stephen Ross up well by appointing Parcells to guide the team. Meanwhile, Chiefs owner Clark Hunt is just beginning his tenure after taking over control of the team from his father — the late, great Lamar Hunt — yet is stuck in neutral for as long as Peterson remains the personnel chief.
    The Dolphins and Chiefs. Two teams coming off a season full of embarrassment. Yet only one seems motivated to escape their cellar.

i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

That about sums it up in my book!!!!!

I bet there is tons of Homer Chief fans who really couldn't handle that article and are bashing it, calling Profootball a bunch of idiots..

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 28, 2008, 9:48 a.m. EDT
    QB John Beck threw three interceptions in one practice.
    Afterward Beck said, “It wasn’t the best practice. Now it’s time to go back on film and learn from it.”
    The offensive line is looking shaky.
    Jay Feely should win the kicking job, but Dan Carpenter has the stronger leg.
    Said LB Channing Crowder of the way the Dolphins are marketing their 2008 season, “We must not have much talent to have the GM and the coach on the billboard.”
    LB Joey Porter is nursing an ankle injury and still has not practiced.
    Said coach Tony Sparano of rookie DE Phillip Merling, ”I love his movement. I think the guy moves really well out there.”
    Said Don Shula of watching the Dolphins go 1-15 last year, “It was painful. You really want to forget [last season] happened.”
    It would be nice to get some production from the players Nick Saban drafted.
    One local writer thinks the Dolphins are dull.from Profootballtalk.com- you find what you want I guess

Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    Posted by Michael David Smith on July 28, 2008, 9:48 a.m. EDT
    QB John Beck threw three interceptions in one practice.
    Afterward Beck said, “It wasn’t the best practice. Now it’s time to go back on film and learn from it.”
    The offensive line is looking shaky.
    Jay Feely should win the kicking job, but Dan Carpenter has the stronger leg.
    Said LB Channing Crowder of the way the Dolphins are marketing their 2008 season, “We must not have much talent to have the GM and the coach on the billboard.”
    LB Joey Porter is nursing an ankle injury and still has not practiced.
    Said coach Tony Sparano of rookie DE Phillip Merling, ”I love his movement. I think the guy moves really well out there.”
    Said Don Shula of watching the Dolphins go 1-15 last year, “It was painful. You really want to forget [last season] happened.”
    It would be nice to get some production from the players Nick Saban drafted.
    One local writer thinks the Dolphins are dull.from Profootballtalk.com- you find what you want I guess
    Why are we posting things that have nothing to do with the Chiefs?

lmao.... who here thinks the Dolphins are a .500 team this year? The Dolphins and Rams will by vying for that #1 pick again next year. The Chiefs won't even be in the bottom ten this upcoming season.

Call me a homer or whatever you want, but i would MUCH rather have Brodie than Henne or Beck at this point. The O-line last year was gawd awful, yet we were still above .500 until LJ went down. I think it's safe to say that the O-Line had a slight upgrade during the offseason. Coupled with the fact that LJ is healthy again with at least 2 maybe even 3 capable backups to take some reps off his body this season, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Chiefs rushing attack in the top 10-15 again. If that happens, the passing game opens up with the play action and Gonzo has another great year.

I follow football very closely. Hell, i follow the 5 big sports very closely. I'm a sports administration major going into my senior year and i can't name 3 offensive weapons on that Miami team. Ronnie Brown and Ted Ginn is as far as i can get. I had to look to find Derek Hagan....oh and Long if he's considered a threat. Who's on their defense worth noting now that Taylor is gone? Jerry Porter? Give me a break.

The Chiefs are so far above the Dolphins right now, it's really not even funny. With the Chiefs, anyone could name Larry Johnson, Tony Gonzales, Dwayne Bowe, Jamaal Charles and Brian Waters from their offense.

Anyone could name Donnie Edwards, Pat Surtain, Tamba Hali, Glenn Dorsey, and Derrick Johnson from their defense.

The proven vets and leadership on this team are too glaring to ignore. The Dolphins have jack sh!%. At least the Chiefs were able to bring back more than a 2nd and 6th for their DE. The author of that article showed his ignorance when he said Taylor only has one good year left. This guy was the MVP two years ago and has been in the top 5 in sacks almost his entire career.

If both teams were taking the same approach to rebuilding their teams, the Chiefs by far dominated the Dolphins by acquiring more draft picks for this past draft and spending the time and effort over the past two or three season rebuilding their defense. The Dolphins' defense will be found wanting yet again this year because they did nothing to upgrade it... in fact, they took away their biggest piece.While the Chiefs did trade away Allen, they were able to essentially replace his presence with Dorsey while drafting O-Line help as well. Then, they got a CB right after that.

I don't care how much you like Parcells or how much you like the Dolphins or hate CP or Herm, there's absolutely no way in hell you could possibly think the Dolphins did more to improve their team this year or even over the past 3 years than the Chiefs have.
    Last edited by texaschief; 07-29-2008 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    lmao.... who here thinks the Dolphins are a .500 team this year? The Dolphins and Rams will by vying for that #1 pick again next year. The Chiefs won't even be in the bottom ten this upcoming season.

Call me a homer or whatever you want, but i would MUCH rather have Brodie than Henne or Beck at this point. The O-line last year was gawd awful, yet we were still above .500 until LJ went down. I think it's safe to say that the O-Line had a slight upgrade during the offseason. Coupled with the fact that LJ is healthy again with at least 2 maybe even 3 capable backups to take some reps off his body this season, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Chiefs rushing attack in the top 10-15 again. If that happens, the passing game opens up with the play action and Gonzo has another great year.

I follow football very closely. Hell, i follow the 5 big sports very closely. I'm a sports administration major going into my senior year and i can't name 3 offensive weapons on that Miami team. Ronnie Brown and Ted Ginn is as far as i can get. I had to look to find Derek Hagan....oh and Long if he's considered a threat. Who's on their defense worth noting now that Taylor is gone? Jerry Porter? Give me a break.

The Chiefs are so far above the Dolphins right now, it's really not even funny. With the Chiefs, anyone could name Larry Johnson, Tony Gonzales, Dwayne Bowe, Jamaal Charles and Brian Waters from their offense.

Anyone could name Donnie Edwards, Pat Surtain, Tamba Hali, Glenn Dorsey, and Derrick Johnson from their defense.

The proven vets and leadership on this team are too glaring to ignore. The Dolphins have jack sh!%. At least the Chiefs were able to bring back more than a 2nd and 6th for their DE. The author of that article showed his ignorance when he said Taylor only has one good year left. This guy was the MVP two years ago and has been in the top 5 in sacks almost his entire career.

If both teams were taking the same approach to rebuilding their teams, the Chiefs by far dominated the Dolphins by acquiring more draft picks for this past draft and spending the time and effort over the past two or three season rebuilding their defense. The Dolphins' defense will be found wanting yet again this year because they did nothing to upgrade it... in fact, they took away their biggest piece.While the Chiefs did trade away Allen, they were able to essentially replace his presence with Dorsey while drafting O-Line help as well. Then, they got a CB right after that.

I don't care how much you like Parcells or how much you like the Dolphins or hate CP or Herm, there's absolutely no way in hell you could possibly think the Dolphins did more to improve their team this year or even over the past 3 years than the Chiefs have.
    I'm not going to call you a homer because you can cheer till your heart bleeds as a fan of any team as far as I'm concerned but to say that the Chiefs won't be in the top ten in next years draft is laughable!!!!!!!

[quote=texaschief;92812]lmao.... who here thinks the Dolphins are a .500 team this year? The Dolphins and Rams will by vying for that #1 pick again next year. The Chiefs won't even be in the bottom ten this upcoming season.

quote]

First let me Say.. F the Dolphins.. I don't care about them and I don't see them ahead of the Chiefs.

The Chiefs could very well finish at the bottom again...There is nothing factually proving different.

If you don't consider Long a starter on anyone's defense, you can't even consider Glenn Dorsey one. Neither have proven a thing in the NFL. Long was picked ahead of Dorsey. That right there shows that you have a strongly biased opinion.

Next I think it was the point of the article to point out that you can't name any Dolphins. They have no where to go put up. You named Tony G and Donnie Edwards.. Two players are on the decline of their careers. I am pretty sure the point of the article was to point out that the Chiefs will have additional holes to fill later on, while Miami has totally cleaned house and are on the bottom and working up.

The point about CP and Parcells is very valid. Take up the fact that CP's contract as GM is up. The new GM will also want to take out what he considers to be trash setting the Chiefs back again, while Miami is still building from what they started this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    Why are we posting things that have nothing to do with the Chiefs?
    PFW was comparing the Chiefs to the Dolphins. The similarities stop at trading their defensive ends,IMO. I hate the Dolphins almost as much as the Raiders......I guess I was trying to counter the Chief bashing

The "experts" will always have their preseason "opinions"; it gives them something to write about and glean reactions from in the offseason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast