Thread: Training Camp Day 6

Hybrid View

Default Training Camp Day 6

RIVER FALLS WRAP: Day Six

Jul 30, 2008, 4:44:47 PM

By Brock Ascher
    Breakdown: The team donned full pads and took to the field at 9:00 AM this morning. QBs Tyler Thigpen and Damon Huard took command of the offense today as starting QB Brodie Croyle was given a scheduled morning off after Huard rested on Monday. With only three QBs in camp, the coaching staff is closely monitoring the reps of each of the club’s signal callers. RB Larry Johnson also took a scheduled break during the morning session, while three-time Pro Bowl G Brian Waters is expected to get a rest in today’s PM session.
    After a solid showing with the second unit on Monday, Thigpen was thwarted by the first-team defense for much of the morning session. Not to worry about the offense, though, as they’ll face a tough test against a solid Minnesota defense tomorrow night in a joint practice.
    Plays of the Day: Defense ruled the morning practice, with a few notable exceptions. Rookie CB Brandon Flowers jumped an out route from QB Tyler Thigpen and returned it the length of the field for a score during Red Zone work. LB Donnie Edwards intercepted a crossing route in a play that would have resulted in a touchdown had it happened in a game.
    RB Jamaal Charles was a bright spot for the offense this morning. The rookie hauled in a screen from Huard, juked a defender and split the defense for a 65-yard touchdown.
    Weather Watch: It was a warm and perfectly clear Wednesday for the two practices. The mercury topped off at 90 degrees. Back in Kansas City it was cloudy and cooler after yesterday’s rain showers with highs topping out in the high 80s.
    Notable Campers: ESPN NFL analyst John Clayton was in River Falls today. Clayton annually makes his rounds to a bevy of NFL training camps across the country. Also in camp was Jarrett Bell from USA Today, which touts some of the nation’s top NFL coverage.
    Looking Ahead: The team will have a short walk-thru in the morning before The Minnesota Vikings come to town for a 6:30 joint practice tomorrow evening. Admission for the practice is $10 for adults, $5 for kids aged 12-17. Kids under 12 get in free. Parking is $5 per car.
    Look Who’s Talking: “It’ll be fun and interesting. It’ll be good for him. He’s going to go against a Pro Bowl player. It’ll be a big test for him and I think the more he’s in that situation the more confidence he’s going to gain.”
    -Head coach Herm Edwards on Chiefs T Branden Albert lining up against Vikings DE Jared Allen.
    Reader Questions:
    Any signs of a good team atmosphere so far? Are players following team leaders like Tony Gonzalez?
    -Julian Krall (All the way from Germany)
    We’ll let Tony G. answer that one – “I’m going out, so I better tell them what works for me and tell them how I do it so they can put it in their game. I just got done talking to the defensive end, the seventh-round draft choice (Brian Johnston) about work ethic and doing what it takes to be good. And they ask me those questions; I don’t even have to seek them out most of the time. Also, winding down toward the end of my career, I want them to get better, I want the learning curve shortened so we can go out there and be the best team we can be right away.”
    In addition, the players eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in a dining hall that is walled off by a glass wall. Anyone can look and in see the camaraderie and laughing and joking going on in there. They’re truly coming together as a team.
    How is the offensive line holding up with all the fresh new faces?
    -Kyle Grozinger (Springfield, Mo.)
    One of the most interesting things about camp is watching the lines go at each other during practice and trying to gauge who is winning the battle. Veteran G Brian Waters and Rookie DT Glenn Dorsey have developed a friendly rivalry, albeit one that Waters has taken the lead on thus far.
    Rookie T Branden Albert has impressed head coach Herm Edwards enough for Edwards to say: “He’s going to play left tackle for us.” If C Rudy Niswanger wasn’t a football player, he would be the biggest brain surgeon you’ve ever seen. So, to say that this line is young, smart and athletic would be a fair statement. Young, smart and athletic players are exactly the type of players the Chiefs are looking for these days.
    Questions?: Is there a question about training camp or the Chiefs that you want answered? Chiefs insiders Josh Looney and Brock Ascher will answer fan questions daily in the River Falls Wrap.
    Click here to ask your Camp Question?

Second day in a row that Charles has a big play. Starting to really like this guy.

Guys on 610 said this morning that Jeff Webb put on a show yesterday. Wonder why that wasn't mentioned in the report?