PANTHERS DONE WITH SMITH?
Mike Florio

In the wake of Friday’s troubling incident between receiver Steve Smith and cornerback Ken Lucas, the Panthers could be thinking about life without the talented-but-troubled wideout.

Matt Mosley of ESPN.com reports that there are “rumblings” out of Panthers camp that the team is fed up with Smith’s actions, and are at least considering the idea of trading him.

Mosley says that Smith has become a “divisive force” on the team: “One Panthers source said that several defensive backs were walking around after the recent incident saying that if management didn’t discipline Smith, they would.”

And Mosley, whose covers the NFC East for ESPN.com’s post-Hashmarks blog project, partially justifies his encroachment upon Pat Yasinskas’ NFC South turf by suggesting that the Cowboys could be Smith’s ultimate destination.

Other teams that would at least consider Smith include, in our view, the Eagles, Vikings, Bears, and Redskins.

***uming that Smith wouldn’t want a new deal, his cap charge for 2008 is a very manageable $1.75 million. Because it’s after June 1, the Panthers wouldn’t take a cap hit for the move until 2009.

Smith currently is signed through 2012. His future salaries are $3.4 million 2009, $5.75 million in 2010, $7 million in 2011, and $7.75 million in 2012.

If you can't tell, I'm going on the record as saying there's no way in hell i would want this guy on the team!! I realize I'll probably be in the minority, but that's nothing new.

If we're still building this team, we can't afford to give away the high draft picks the Panthers will be asking for, for a 5'8 WR.