Thread: Lito Shephard

Default Lito Shephard

I guess i missed something. Why is this guy listed as a backup CB on the Eagles' roster? If he is such a great CB to be asking for a 1st and 3rd in a trade for him, why is he listed as the backup? If he isn't going to be traded, shouldn't he be listed as the starter opposite Asante Samuel?

That being said, if he continues to be listed as a backup, I think the Chiefs should take a hard run at him and perhaps compromise with the Eagles and offer a 2nd round pick. I think a 2nd rounder would be worth bringing in a guy who would claim the CB spot opposite Flowers for years to come. Bringing in a young guy who has experience would again, i think be worth the 2nd rounder.

Hmmm... Interesting. Maybe this should be given some thought.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Maybe with the acquiring of Samuel, the 2 starters are now Samuel and Sheldon Brown. Brown is also a pretty good CB who's been with Philly a considerable time. Lito has also been rather injury plagued the past couple years.

I hate the Eagles but I'll be pulling for Kris Wilson to do good this year. I guess he'll also have a likely backup role to LJ Smith at TE and certainly to Westbrook at RB.

I love the idea. I wished we would have gone after him right after samuel was signed. I just watched him play against the panthers last night and he looked sharp.... had a pick as well... I mainly worry about our pass rush and think we should shore up the CB position.

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

There is something amazing developing in Kansas City.

The Chiefs are going to have two rookie cornerbacks -- second-round pick Brandon Flowers and fifth-round pick Brandon Carr -- in the starting lineup. Most teams would be frightened to death to try this but the Chiefs feel they have nothing to lose and they are looking forward to trying it.

The Chiefs know they are rebuilding, and teams are always looking for franchise cornerbacks. That's why they are not scared to use two rookies at one of the most important positions on the field.

Flowers and Carr will likely be on the field when Kansas City visits New England on Sept. 7 to open the regular season. It's a scary notion to think the Chiefs will have two players in their first NFL game trying to stop Tom Brady and Randy Moss.

The Chiefs are not worried because they think both players are going to be special. Flowers, drafted out of Virginia Tech, was widely considered to be one of the better cornerback prospects in the draft. He is showing he has the speed and size to be a quality cornerback in the league and Chiefs insiders say he improves every day. While the idea of Flowers starting as a rookie isn't a complete stretch, the fact that Carr, who reminds some of former Kansas City great James Hasty, is on his way to starting is a little surprising.

Fifth rounders usually don't start in the NFL at cornerback, especially ones from Grand Valley State. But Carr seems different. The Chiefs' coaching staff expected him to act like a rookie -- or a rookie from a small school -- but it hasn't happened. Carr has the necessary makeup to be a NFL cornerback.

"He acts like he belongs," Kansas City defense coordinator Gunther Cunningham said of Carr. "He's really something. And I love Flowers. They may be two rookies but we are not afraid to play these two guys."

Ask Kansas City secondary coach David Gibbs, whose name will probably be mentioned for defensive coordinator jobs next offseason, about his two new cornerbacks and Gibbs just nods and smiles.

Flowers knows he and Carr are about to embark on a unique experience. He said it is nice to know he has company.

"We are working really hard here and try to get better every day," Flowers said. "We are rookies, but we know we can make a difference here."

That is certainly the idea of the Kansas City coaches.

OK, if this works out, starting and keeping Carr at one of the CB spots is a MUCH better option than trading for Lito!! If we can keep the 2nd rounder, that would be HUGE!!! Getting out two CBs out of this draft would be unbelievable!!! That would allow us to grab a LB and DE or OL in the first two rounds next year. If that were to happen, this team would be close to finished rebuilding.

Our biggest weakness on defense is the LB position, imo. We really need to draft some in 09.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Our biggest weakness on defense is the LB position, imo. We really need to draft some in 09.
    I almost hope we are bad again this year just for the shot at Lauranitis. That dude is Urlacher part deux.

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post

I agree, and the D-line has to continue to improve on getting to the QB in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I almost hope we are bad again this year just for the shot at Lauranitis. That dude is Urlacher part deux.
    In the 2009 draft, there are likely going to be three first round quality MLBs.

James Laurenitus, Rey Maualuga and Brandon Spikes, asumming he declares after his Junior season.

Laurenitus is being touted as the best prospect as this point, but Maualuga would be a better fit for the Chiefs since he already plays in a cover two at SC.

By the end of the season, though, Spikes might be the best of the three.

Regardless, we don't have to lose a lot of games to get a shot at at least one of these three.