Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ....so what happened? (Arizona)

Default ....so what happened? (Arizona)

...I didnt get to see the game, just saw the stats?

This was what I was expecting in our first game. Looks like we had trouble converting in the red zone (as usual). And our young secondary got man handled by their receivers all night....well looks like we are back to our old selves

...how did our first string O and D look against theirs? How did BC look? Was it really as bad as the stats show?

Quote Originally Posted by jerhart View Post
    ...I didnt get to see the game, just saw the stats?

This was what I was expecting in our first game. Looks like we had trouble converting in the red zone (as usual). And our young secondary got man handled by their receivers all night....well looks like we are back to our old selves

...how did our first string O and D look against theirs? How did BC look? Was it really as bad as the stats show?
    I think what happened is really what this team is. I wasn't impressed even last week but people looked at that long sloppy opening drive that did result into points and then ignored the next two horrible drive.

Now they didn't look horrible, but they didn't look good.

The offensive line wasn't great or bad. Larry Johnson did have one heck of a block. BC didn't do anything great but nothing really bad.

I thought there were a couple of things that looked decent but for the most part as a whole they looked HORRIBLE!!!!!!! The O line on a couple of occasions gave Croyle some time. When he did throw the ball, it wasn't over 9 yards unless he was throwing it away. Being in Az. I watched the whole game since it was televised here. I also thought LJ looked pretty good when he wasn't being hammered the second he got the ball. His blocking was really very good last night.

I saw more potential in Thigpen last night in 1 game than I have seen in 7 with Croyle. I'm telling all of you Croyle lovers that if he is our future, we are in trouble!!!! Now maybe the OC had the offense tamed down a bit but even the "new" bootleg offense looked below avg. when Croyle ran it.

This vaunted defense that everyone has been raving about.......LOOKED BAD!! The Cardinals only used Fitz and Boldin sparingly but the Chiefs D was torn up by 3rd and 4th receivers even with the 1's in the game. They showed Herm on the sidelines staring at his play sheet and shaking his head at the lack of production on both sides of the ball. If we don't get a LOT better before opening day....we will get beat by 50 by the Patriots!!! They would have scored a hell of a lot more points than 27 last night!!

On a side note, the back up RB's looked decent when they got some up front blocking but to me, that seemed to be a big problem last night. Not giving the RB time to take the hand off let alone get to the whole that wasn't there.

Sippio probably won't make the team and the other TE looked ok. He is a big boy!!!! Our new rookie CB's looked ok. On the first play of Cardinals offense, they went deep to Boldin and the rookie broke up the play.
    Last edited by DrunkHillbilly; 08-17-2008 at 06:16 PM.

Looked to me like the play-calling was EXTREMELY conservative. If these coaches think we can win games by throwing no more than 15 yards ever in a pass play, then they need their heads examined.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Looked to me like the play-calling was EXTREMELY conservative. If these coaches think we can win games by throwing no more than 15 yards ever in a pass play, then they need their heads examined.
    I didnt get to watch the game so I will hold my judgement on how bad it was till later, but I did listen to Herm talk postgame and he said that they kinda found out the first game how the alternate play availability and the screens and bootlegs would work, this game they wanted to see if they could be successful pounding the ball down the opponents throat. From the looks of the play by play that seems to be what they did.
    Not sticking up for Herm but maybe it was just a game to get an idea of the running game and also see how some if anyone that wasnt expected to make the team stands out.

From what I have heard and read the second game is almost the last chance for someone on the fence to make the team. Cuts are starting and the 53 is going to be set soon. I know no one likes to lose but maybe this showed Herm that conservative play calling to hog the clock would not get it done in the NFL.

Again I havent yet watched this game, it is set to TIVO from the NFL Network tomorrow night, from there I will watch and analyze and see if I feel all this was the case or if Herm was trying to dilute blame.

Anyway I am still very excited about the season and the season opener, I for one would love to kill the unbeaten streak of the Pats before it ever begins this year, I dont care to hear about it.

And in closing.

GO CHIEFS !!!
    GO CHIEFS !!!
    GO CHIEFS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    I didnt get to watch the game so I will hold my judgement on how bad it was till later, but I did listen to Herm talk postgame and he said that they kinda found out the first game how the alternate play availability and the screens and bootlegs would work, this game they wanted to see if they could be successful pounding the ball down the opponents throat. From the looks of the play by play that seems to be what they did.
    Not sticking up for Herm but maybe it was just a game to get an idea of the running game and also see how some if anyone that wasnt expected to make the team stands out.

From what I have heard and read the second game is almost the last chance for someone on the fence to make the team. Cuts are starting and the 53 is going to be set soon. I know no one likes to lose but maybe this showed Herm that conservative play calling to hog the clock would not get it done in the NFL.

Again I havent yet watched this game, it is set to TIVO from the NFL Network tomorrow night, from there I will watch and analyze and see if I feel all this was the case or if Herm was trying to dilute blame.

Anyway I am still very excited about the season and the season opener, I for one would love to kill the unbeaten streak of the Pats before it ever begins this year, I dont care to hear about it.

And in closing.

GO CHIEFS !!!
    GO CHIEFS !!!
    GO CHIEFS !!!
    I am so with you, on the Chiefs!!!
    GO CHIEFS !!!
    GO CHIEFS !!!
    GO CHIEFS !!!
    GO CHIEFS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    That run on 3rd and long that gained a yard killed me. Now if they are telling me that they were wanting to work on just running the ball. Okay, but don't say after the game, that just couldn't get it in, becuase that play looked like it wasn't intended to score.

Dustin Colquitt looked un-human.

Ok just watched the first team play (TIVO'd NFL Network) my observations.

I could see that they were trying to see what running would do, it even seems that they took away the passing plays from Croyle a little to focus on the run.

The first team offense still seemed to move the ball very well with the exception of a three and out series.

Personally in the preseason I am not all that worried about win - lose, I did want to see how the first team looked. For the most part I really liked what I saw from the first team. I believe if they would have been mixing up the plays a little more they would have been far more successful.

I liked how mobile Thigpen was and think he will make a great backup actually I feel that we will eventually lose Thig because I feel he is going to be better then a career backup, but at the moment I am very much liking a cheerleader ... errr ummm sorry watching the game and got off track ... I am liking how Brodie looks and the poise he seems to have and how he is able to change the play at the line and seems to me he is an intelligent QB.

Now the bad, yes I do feel that the first string needs to finish drives with TD's not field goals. I do believe however in a game situation they wouldn't take the give up plays they did in the Cardinals game.

Croyle has to control all of his passes, every now and then one gets away from him and could easily be intercepted.

We have a fair number of second string players who are not good, yet at least, our second team O has trouble against other teams second team D, and likewise our second team D has trouble against other teams second team O, this is bad if there is an injury or even for substitutions, although there are some very competent second team guys that would do more then adequate filling in.

Also man is Pollard on fire so far this year, I have seen a few punts he almost got blocked. And I think it was Gretz was saying that he has narrowly missed all 11 but he was in there all 11 times, lol. I doubt he has been there every punt but darn if he can just get that extra half second wouldn't it be nice to have someone that can block punts on a regular basis.

Again I know this is the preseason, and the Cardinals game was a loss. But this young young team is looking far better then I expected it to by this time.

I am going to go out on a limb and say from looking at the schedule that this could be a 9-11 win team if not 12. Candy A$$ schedule and much better team then predicted, also remember that as of game 7 last year I called 4-12. I am not a Chiefs can do no wrong but just looking at the first team they have been the better team on the field both weeks. If they have the conditioning to last an entire game then AFC watch out.

With all of this I still think this will not be one of the elite teams THIS YEAR, I still see a first or second round playoff loss, but 2 more years with shoring up the backups and growing just a little more and I can absolutely see the Chiefs winning a Super Bowl.

I will go on record right now and say if that happens, that is a big if but if it happens I will take back each and everything I have ever said about Herm and admith that he did a good job and did know what he was doing. Until then though I still have to call for his head. LOL

McLovin out.

BTW just watched the Dantrell Savage return, and WOW just as Gretz said dont see him going anywhere.

Wonder if after this preseason if Sams might get a bus ticket out. Sams has seemed good but ... not exceptional. I also do think that Novak will likely win the kicking battle and that Sippio will end up elsewhere or unemployed again, I like Sippio but I do seem him losing to better talent. Again Sippio is really good but I haven't seen anything that screamed gotta keep him.

just my 2 cents actually my 2 cents worth is up to about a dollars worth now. Meh --- Oh Well.

I think our play-calling is too conservative to win the amount of games you suggested. I, also, question how this team will do against a very good run game.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast