Thread: Chan's Plan

Default Chan's Plan

Larry Johnson, RB KC
    News: In an interview with CBSSports.com, Chiefs offensive coordinator Chan Gailey discussed how he plans on using RB Larry Johnson this season. While it's not breaking news that he plans on using him early and often as part of the running game, Gailey did say that he expects to relieve Johnson of his duties on third downs. "We've had a good deal of success before with letting the running back be the first- and second-down back and taking the protection and hits off of a guy on third down," Gailey said of Johnson. "I think he'll be a 20- to 30-carry per game guy."
    Analysis: Gailey didn't name a third-down running back that would replace Johnson, but he was complementary of rookie Jamaal Charles, who we think has the inside track since second-year RB Kolby Smith is hurt. Gailey also compared Johnson's expected workload this year to Jerome Bettis' when Gailey was with Pittsburgh (1996-97), and Bettis had well over 300 carries and lots of touchdowns. Johnson has already played in preseason games and looked good, as has his O-line.

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

personally, i think we are going back to running back by committee. I think LJ will carry the load but Kolby will come in to relieve and both Kolby and Charles will take 3rd down snaps.

Quote Originally Posted by jtandcrew View Post
    personally, i think we are going back to running back by committee. I think LJ will carry the load but Kolby will come in to relieve and both Kolby and Charles will take 3rd down snaps.
    That isnt such a bad thing. It seems todays offenses have a 2 back package. and it seems to be very sucessful. If KC can put together a powerful 1-2 punch with LJ and Charles or Smith then we are well on our way to improving.

Overall, I'm very confident in the direction Chan Gailey has taken the offense. I'm actually excited this year to see what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by jakesmith View Post
    That isnt such a bad thing. It seems todays offenses have a 2 back package. and it seems to be very sucessful. If KC can put together a powerful 1-2 punch with LJ and Charles or Smith then we are well on our way to improving.

Overall, I'm very confident in the direction Chan Gailey has taken the offense. I'm actually excited this year to see what he does.
    Me to, course I am just excited that the season is about to start!

Just smash the defense with Larry and Kolby for 3 quarters and then in the 4th, when the defense is lagging and gasping for air, throw the Big 12 100 meter champ at them and see if they can catch him. Once Charles gets a seam, its over. I can guarantee that Charles will never be run down from behind.

I want to see Charles make the Pro Bowl just because I want to see him in the skills competition and blow everyone away as the fastest guy in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Just smash the defense with Larry and Kolby for 3 quarters and then in the 4th, when the defense is lagging and gasping for air, throw the Big 12 100 meter champ at them and see if they can catch him. Once Charles gets a seam, its over. I can guarantee that Charles will never be run down from behind.

I want to see Charles make the Pro Bowl just because I want to see him in the skills competition and blow everyone away as the fastest guy in the league.
    I have to admit I havent been keeping much on an eye of the preseason. They using Charles as a return guy at all? With his breakaway speed I see a Hestor-like return guy.

No. Not yet. Although, they said they were gonna do that. Charles has been nicked up the last couple weeks. But we got a guy named Dontrell Savage that has filled in nicely as a return man.