Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Merriman visits the dreaded DR. JAMES ANDREWS. You gotta love this

Default Merriman visits the dreaded DR. JAMES ANDREWS. You gotta love this

Don't know if this has been posted here or if I just overlooked it. Apologies if it has

So two weeks ago over on the Steelers board someone posted that Shawne was going to be out for a year and everyone chastised him (of course), said he had it from a reliable source. Naturally we're all calling b.s. Well, low and behold yesterday Espn confirms that he went to visit James Andrews. Any sports fan knows a visit to james andrews is the kiss of death. I mean, why should I know a surgeons name? Oh right...that's because he's operated on basically every high profile athlete that's had to go under the knife.

SAN DIEGO -- Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman had his knee examined Wednesday in Alabama after lingering soreness kept him out of practice for more than a week.

Merriman

Merriman underwent surgery to repair cartilage damage five months ago but has had persistent pain in the knee during training camp. He traveled to Birmingham to have the knee looked at by Dr. James Andrews, the surgeon who performed the operation.
    "I think he wants to make sure he gets it checked out and make sure everything is all right with it," San Diego coach Norv Turner said after Wednesday's practice. "When he's been able to practice and move around, he's looked awfully good to me."
    Merriman hasn't practiced this week and didn't play in a preseason loss Saturday to the St. Louis Rams. He missed three consecutive practices last week because of the sore knee and an illness he described as strep throat and fever.
    Turner didn't express significant concern and he's hoping Merriman will be healthy by Sept. 7 when the Chargers open the regular season against the Carolina Panthers.
    "I think we have a number of guys that are in that category who have some soreness, and my concern will be if it lingers," Turner said. "Hopefully, it won't linger and hopefully in the next week to 10 days, he's going to be all right and ready to get going."
    Pro Bowl tight end Antonio Gates didn't practice Wednesday, one day after passing a physical and being taken off the physically unable to perform list. Gates had surgery six months ago to repair a tear in the plantar plate of his left foot.
    "Obviously, this injury is one of those things you have to kind of handle daily," Gates said. "I continue to monitor it because ideally I want to be at full strength come the opener."
    Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

So it could be lights out for lights out? LOL Hope his gimpy a*& can walk in a few years, just not play football.

According to ESPN, Merriman has a torn ligament in his knee. Team is still in denial and needs a 12 step program. The Chargers say he'll be ready for the season opener. LMAO... not without horse steroids he won't (which i'm sure he has a couple layin around).

the amount of horse roids shawne has is in question?

you know the last time he threw the equine roid into a syringe he got caught right? he's learned from his mistakes and is confirmed for an order of elephant juice. come on dude...i know i'm new and only here for a little bit but EVERYONE knows that

plus i really like using these icons.lol

i haven't done one of these in so long i can't remember the last time i did.
    surely one of you fine hosts will provide one in the arrowhead parking lot next month.lol

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

I also heard on multiple stations that the Chargers have already told his agent, Condon, that they dont want him back next year. HMMMM, seems like to me that Merriman might be trying to flex what roid muscles he has left in order to just get a paycheck. Not that I would wish an injury on anyone but I really hope for what credibility he has left he is hurt and will get it fixed and pick up another day.

wow....things just keep gettin worse for this guy.

ProFootballTalk.com just put up an article saying Merriman has not just one ligament tear, but TWO!!!! Unbelievable.

i'm telling you...from what i've heard it's daunteish

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

"It could be career-threatening if I did (play)," Merriman said. "It's a possibility. That possibility is still open.
    A course of action has not been decided. Merriman, who will consult with a doctor in Miami early next week before making a decision, has been told reconstructive surgery would sideline him for the entire 2008 season. Another option is a less-invasive surgery that would allow him to play at some point in the season.
    "They've all said the same things about the injury," Merriman said. "(They're) kind of surprised that I've been playing with it up to this point."
    The Chargers open the regular season Sept. 7 against the Carolina Panthers. Merriman wants to play this season.
    "That's first and foremost," Merriman said. "That's what I want to do. That's why this decision is even out there still and not already made, because I want to play, period. The question is what should I do? How long should I play with it?

FUHGEDDABOUDIT! he's done for the year and will be LUCKY to get back to even half of what he was. seems as though the bolts front office is making plans to move on for at least this year.

and yet...as i type this i watch philip rivers on the field in the middle of this totally bs game. gotta love norv!

SAN DIEGO -- David Canter did what most visitors do in San Diego on Monday afternoon. He headed for In-N-Out Burger.
    The South Florida-based Canter and his associate Adam Kenner surely deserved the West Coast treat after a long past couple of days of negotiations.
    Canter and the Chargers ironed out two extensions Monday. The Chargers gave outside linebacker Jyles Tucker, who is a backup to the injured Shawne Merriman, a four-year extension and they gave safety Steve Gregory a three-year contract. Canter said he was unsure when he began talks for Tucker if a deal could get done. Then, talks picked up regarding both of his clients.
    "The Chargers really stepped up," Canter said. "This is a great situation for everyone."

Don't underscore the Tucker signing. He would be the primary replacement for Merriman if he can't play this year. Merriman flew to Miami on Monday to get a fourth opinion on his damaged left knee. A decision will likely be made this week on whether Merriman will try to play this season or have reconstructive surgery, which would end his season.
    If Merriman is out, all eyes will be on Tucker. He had three sacks in a game last season and the Chargers think he can be a premier pass rusher. Tucker is a second-year player form Wake Forest.
    While he is little known now, perhaps Tucker will soon be playing a key role for San Diego. Canter downplayed the Merriman connection concerning Tucker's contract extension.
    "I think the two are not connected," Canter said. "But I do know this is a great opportunity for Jyles."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12