Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merriman visits the dreaded DR. JAMES ANDREWS. You gotta love this

Default Merriman visits the dreaded DR. JAMES ANDREWS. You gotta love this

Don't know if this has been posted here or if I just overlooked it. Apologies if it has

So two weeks ago over on the Steelers board someone posted that Shawne was going to be out for a year and everyone chastised him (of course), said he had it from a reliable source. Naturally we're all calling b.s. Well, low and behold yesterday Espn confirms that he went to visit James Andrews. Any sports fan knows a visit to james andrews is the kiss of death. I mean, why should I know a surgeons name? Oh right...that's because he's operated on basically every high profile athlete that's had to go under the knife.

SAN DIEGO -- Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman had his knee examined Wednesday in Alabama after lingering soreness kept him out of practice for more than a week.

Merriman

Merriman underwent surgery to repair cartilage damage five months ago but has had persistent pain in the knee during training camp. He traveled to Birmingham to have the knee looked at by Dr. James Andrews, the surgeon who performed the operation.
    "I think he wants to make sure he gets it checked out and make sure everything is all right with it," San Diego coach Norv Turner said after Wednesday's practice. "When he's been able to practice and move around, he's looked awfully good to me."
    Merriman hasn't practiced this week and didn't play in a preseason loss Saturday to the St. Louis Rams. He missed three consecutive practices last week because of the sore knee and an illness he described as strep throat and fever.
    Turner didn't express significant concern and he's hoping Merriman will be healthy by Sept. 7 when the Chargers open the regular season against the Carolina Panthers.
    "I think we have a number of guys that are in that category who have some soreness, and my concern will be if it lingers," Turner said. "Hopefully, it won't linger and hopefully in the next week to 10 days, he's going to be all right and ready to get going."
    Pro Bowl tight end Antonio Gates didn't practice Wednesday, one day after passing a physical and being taken off the physically unable to perform list. Gates had surgery six months ago to repair a tear in the plantar plate of his left foot.
    "Obviously, this injury is one of those things you have to kind of handle daily," Gates said. "I continue to monitor it because ideally I want to be at full strength come the opener."
    Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Well considering he is a cheapshot artist perhaps he got a little of his own medicine.

I sure hope it does not affect his dancing or Tomlinson will start to cry.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    I sure hope it does not affect his dancing or Tomlinson will start to cry.
    Maybe if he had his drugs he'd be ok. DAMN IT!!! GIVE HIM HIS DRUGS, HE NEEDS THEM!!!! :p

this guy claims to have seen his mri and says he needs a lot of work done. how? i don't know, but he posted the original msg on 8/6 and it's just now coming out in the press that his knee is jacked.

i just figured his "scientific alterations" had taken a toll

Quote Originally Posted by jakesmith View Post
    Maybe if he had his drugs he'd be ok. DAMN IT!!! GIVE HIM HIS DRUGS, HE NEEDS THEM!!!! :p
    They will, and he will be playing.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

I am not sure I agree with LOVIN that a player is hurt and his career may be over. Granted I don't like the guy mostly because he runs his mouth, hits hard and was busted for Roids.

I am not sure I have ever seen him cheap shot anyone. I know he knocked Priest out and does hit hard, but I hate the guy because he is not a Chief. Not sure I would say the same if we had him instead of Donnie Edwards.

at first i was ecstatic that Derrick Johnson fell to us. Then Merriman, who was picked one spot ahead of Johnson, became a freakin beast and i became a little less excicetd about DJ. Now, I'm excited about DJ again.

I'm such a fair weather fan.

DJ is a pimp.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

According to PFT, whispers have started in the organization that Merriman could BE DONE AFTER ONLY 4 YEARS!!! Wow. Just as Derrick Johnson is coming into his own and becoming Pro Bowl caliber, Merriman could have already peaked and finished his career. This is staggering.

Here's the story:
    In the wake of a report that Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman visited with renowned orthopedist James Andrews regarding Merriman’s knee, we’re hearing that there is quiet concern within the organization that Merriman could be done, after only four NFL seasons.

Merriman had arthroscopic knee surgery during the offseason. He made the trip to Alabama to see Dr. Andrews because of persistent pain in the knee. (Curiously, there’s a conflict between the two major San Diego papers regarding the identity of the doctor who performed the procedure. The North County Times says that it was Andrews. The Union-Tribune claims that it was team physician David Chao.)

Officially, coach Norv Turner says he isn’t worried. “My concern will be if it lingers,” Turner said Wednesday. “Hopefully, it won’t linger and hopefully in the next week to 10 days, he’s going to be all right and ready to get going.”

As we hear it, there’s already concern, behind the scenes. Nothing may come of it, and Merriman might end up being fine. But the team is definitely worried about the possibility that Merriman could be done.

“He’s had some soreness,” Turner said. “I think he wants to make sure he gets it checked out and make sure everything is all right with it. When he’s been able to practice and move around, he’s looked awfully good to me.”

There’s no denying that Merriman is awfully good. But, like most athletes, it’s hard to do much of anything with a bum knee.

Again, wow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast