Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trent green update

Default trent green update

Angry and frustrated because his deal with Miami has been held up, Trent Green practiced with Kansas City on Tuesday while insisting he has no plans to ever play for the Chiefs again.
    It's a situation the two-time Pro Bowl quarterback finds very uncomfortable.
    "It's not only awkward for me and my family, but it's awkward for the guys in the weight room, in the locker room, on the practice field," he said. "I'm here every day. People ask, 'What's going on?' Guys don't know how to react to me, how to treat me."
    Green, who turns 37 in July, was one of the NFL's most productive quarterbacks from 2001-05, but sustained a severe concussion in the opener last season and did not play well when he retur
    Angry and frustrated because his deal with Miami has been held up, Trent Green practiced with Kansas City on Tuesday while insisting he has no plans to ever play for the Chiefs again.
    "It's not only awkward for me and my family, but it's awkward for the guys in the weight room, in the locker room, on the practice field," he said. "I'm here every day. People ask, 'What's going on?' Guys don't know how to react to me, how to treat me."
    Green, who turns 37 in July, was one of the NFL's most productive quarterbacks from 2001-05, but sustained a severe concussion in the opener last season and did not play well when he returned for the second half of the year. He had three turnovers in a lopsided playoff loss to Indianapolis.
    When he was asked in February by Chiefs president Carl Peterson to restructure his contract and take a reduced role
    Green, who turns 37 in July, was one of the NFL's most productive quarterbacks from 2001-05, but sustained a severe concussion in the opener last season and did not play well when he returned for the second half of the year. He had three turnovers in a lopsided playoff loss to Indianapolis.
    When he was asked in February by Chiefs president Carl Peterson to restructure his contract and take a reduced role, he asked for permission to find another team.
    Miami worked out a contract with Green, but the Chiefs and Dolphins have been at odds over compensation, with Miami offering a sixth-round draft choice and Peterson insisting on a fourth-round pick.
    The standoff has escalated with Green's agent saying Green would not play for the Chiefs again. Peterson fired right back, saying he was prepared to keep the veteran as a backup and pay his guaranteed $7.2 million this year.
    Head coach Herm Edwards has said several times that he would give second-year man Brodie Croyle every chance to seize the job. He also said as recently as Monday that the competition between Green, Croyle and Damon Huard would be fair, that everybody would be given the same opportunity to win the job.
    "He's always very careful to put a disclaimer at the end and say, 'But everybody's going to be equal, everybody's going to have the same number of reps,'" Green said. "He's the head coach. He can do what he wants.
    "But I've been in the league long enough and when you see those comments over the course of several months and you see the way the reps are going to work out, and you see what Brodie's making, what Damon was re-signed for and what I'm making, it's not a fair competition. It's a weighted competition."
    If a deal is not worked out, would he retire before staying with the Chiefs, especially as a backup?
    "I really haven't had that discussion with my wife or my family and I haven't had that discussion with my agent because I'm still banking on the fact that the deal that was made back in February or March, that they would get the trade done," he said. "I guess when that time comes, then I'll have to cross that bridge."
    At Miami, Green would probably serve as a caretaker while the Dolphins groom John Beck of Brigham Young, who was selected in the second round of last month's draft.
    There has been speculation Miami will trade or release Daunte Culpepper, who is still hobbled by a 2005 knee injury. Culpepper played only four games last season and has yet to receive medical clearance to participate in minicamp next month.
    Miami head coach Cam Cameron was Green's quarterback coach at Washington, and Terry Shea, Green's longtime quarterback coach in Kansas City who was fired at the end of the season, has also wound up with the Dolphins.
    Green said the Dolphins had not promised he would start.
    "They haven't said, 'You're the guy, come right in,'" he said. "They haven't told me one way or another. I just know I would have a much more fair chance, for my mind. Because here, it's obviously weighted."
    The Chiefs have two more practices this week and then three next week before a mandatory three-day minicamp June 1-3. Green said if he's not in Miami, he will take part.
    "Players and coaches alike have come up to me and said, 'We support you. What's going on is wrong,'" he said. "I've had to step back because I don't even know my role. There's an awkwardness there."
    :character00112:

You might need to re-work this a bit and do some editing.

Smile

I thought I was in an echo chamber, but I figured it out, you see
    :character00179: sabotaged (sp) timbok's computer, the way he has messed with the team.

:character00179: When are people going to realize that I run the show, do you think that Trent is the first person I have done this way, Hey it is my modus operando, or whatever that is called. Get use to it, that is the way I do things!!
    Go Chiefs Eleven, win
    in 2007!!:fighting0068:

Quote Originally Posted by kenny1937 View Post
    I thought I was in an echo chamber, but I figured it out, you see
    :character00179: sabotaged (sp) timbok's computer, the way he has messed with the team.

:character00179: When are people going to realize that I run the show, do you think that Trent is the first person I have done this way, Hey it is my modus operando, or whatever that is called. Get use to it, that is the way I do things!!
    So far, I agree with the way C.P. has handeled this situation. Get fair compensation , in trade, for Trent, or keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    So far, I agree with the way C.P. has handeled this situation. Get fair compensation , in trade, for Trent, or keep him.

...Except the problem here is that CP doesn't want to keep him at his current rate of pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    ...Except the problem here is that CP doesn't want to keep him at his current rate of pay.
    His pay is the "bullet" that I would rather "bite". Given the options, including becoming the Dolphins' *****.

His pay is the "bullet" that I would rather "bite". Given the options, including becoming the Dolphins' *****.

Agreed; if Green is going to be the starter, but it has already been indicated to Green that the team is "moving in a different direction".

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Agreed; if Green is going to be the starter, but it has already been indicated to Green that the team is "moving in a different direction".
    Seems to me, that that is, in part, overreaction, on Trent Greens part. I don't think he could start for this team, as bad as I expect the pass protection to be. However, I would be amazed to see anyone play quarterback, well, for the Chiefs, this season.

I think we will start Croyle, as much as possible, only to blame a "rookie" quarterback, for an unsuccessful offense. Unfortunately, with rookie O-linemen, next season, we won't be able to find a a good starter, "at quarterback", again. By '09, we will have some other young quarterback, trying to do it, again.

It's a vicious circle, of quarterback "flops" that tends to happen to teams who fail to create an offensive line group, that can provide time in the pocket.

Anyone, who has played a significant amount of time, on the offensive line, can tell you, run blocking is, generally, easier to do, than pass protecting. You have to find guys, who are outstanding pass protectors, and get them to improve on their run-blocking skills. Because, the pass protection is a whole lot harder to learn.

This is why I dislike our newfound dependency upon Damien Macintosh, at LT. He is a good run-blocker, while "average", at best, as a pass protector.

I hate the thought of replacing the Browns, in the role of, "the team that can't seem to find a good quarterback".

One thing is for certian, IMO, and that is it is going to be different this season; just how different - only time will tell.

I hate the thought of replacing the Browns, in the role of, "the team that can't seem to find a good quarterback".
    Don't forget the Dolphins, Lions, Bears, Bills, Redskins, Bucs, and the Saints. Am I fogetting anyone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast