Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New QB?

Default New QB?

I heard that we are looking at Culpepper and Leftwich....

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeee......

"Everybody underestimates the kick in the groin." - Bas Rutten

I want Simms. He was proving to be one of the new QB stars in this league before his pancreaus was ruptured. He has a great blood line and he did a hell of a job at UT.

...and he's tough. I saw him dislocate his pinky finger on one play, run to the sideline with it all jacked up, have the trainer pop it back into place between plays without calling a timeout, then on the very next play, threw a thirty yard TD pass. THAT was badass!!!

I personally would've liked to see Major Applewhite play back in the day at Texas. IMO, Simms got the snaps at Texas because of his name

Quote Originally Posted by royalswin100games View Post
    I personally would've liked to see Major Applewhite play back in the day at Texas. IMO, Simms got the snaps at Texas because of his name
    Simms was the better QB. You know that because Simms actually has/had an NFL career and was actually a starter in this league and probably should STILL be a starter in this league. Applewhite was smart. He was a good QB, but neither of those guys were going to lead that team to a title. Although, I think if Texas had committed and stuck with Simms, they could've had a National Championship his senior season. Applewhite's experience/I.Q. is what made that a QB controversy.

Well, I've heard NE isn't interested in Simms or Rattay so maybe we are going to possibly get Simms. Of course, there are the other two mentioned at the top of the thread as well.

Quote Originally Posted by royalswin100games View Post
    Well, I've heard NE isn't interested in Simms or Rattay so maybe we are going to possibly get Simms. Of course, there are the other two mentioned at the top of the thread as well.
    This is probably what you're talking about:

PFT:
    The New England Patriots flew free agent quarterbacks Chris Simms and Tim Rattay to Boston today, with the expectation that they would work out and possibly fill a spot on the team’s suddenly thin quarterback depth chart.

But Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that when Simms and Rattay arrived, they were told “the situation had changed” and they no longer were needed. So they left without a workout.

It’s not quite clear what the Patriots meant by “the situation had changed.” Tom Brady is still done for the season, and that means the Patriots could still use another quarterback.

So maybe the Patriots plan to sign another free agent quarterback. Chris Mortensen suggested on ESPN’s Monday Night Countdown that Randy Moss might have recommended Daunte Culpepper. And Vinny Testaverde is available. Or maybe the Patriots are working on a trade.

Whatever the Patriots are working on, Matt Cassel is the starter, and he won’t be backed up by Simms or Rattay.

Now that i'm thinkin about it, i don't want Daunte. I REALLY don't want Leftwitch. He's even more immobile than Huard.

If we can land Simms, that would be the best thing for this team. IMO

Credit to Yzilla on this one:

Monday Update 9/8
    September 8, 2008 - Bob Gretz |

From the Truman Sports Complex

NFL veteran quarterbacks Chris Simms and Tim Rattay should be headed to Kansas City Monday evening and they are expected to workout for the Chiefs sometime on Tuesday.

Right now, it appears that QB Brodie Croyle will miss two to four weeks with the shoulder injury he suffered on Sunday in Foxboro against the Patriots. That leaves the Chiefs with no option other than to sign a quarterback to help them.

Both Simms and Rattay were rumored to be at the top of the list in New England for the Patriots to step onto their roster for the injured Tom Brady. But Chiefs sources say both quarterbacks left Foxboro without being offered a deal. It sounds like the Patriots must have something else working behind the scenes.

The Patriots announced on Monday afternoon that Brady will undergo sugery and is lost for the season. They placed him on the injured reserve list.

Simms is 6-4, 220 pounds, 28-year old former third-round draft choice of Tampa Bay in the 2003 NFL Draft out of the University of Texas. He’s not played in a regular season game since the third week of the 2006 season, when he suffered a spleen injury. Ultimately, he underwent a splenectomy and missed the rest of the ‘06 and the whole ‘07 season. He did play in the most recent pre-season for the Bucs, completing 19 of 30 passes for 155 yards, no TDs and one INT. He was sacked five times.

Overall with the Bucs, he played in 19 games, starting 15 and completed 59.1 percent of his passes for an average of 6.27 yards per attempt, with 12 TD passes and 17 INTs. That’s a passer rating of 71.2

Rattay is 6-0, 200 pounds, 31 years old and a veteran of nine years in the NFL. He was a seventh-round choice of San Francisco in the 2000 NFL Draft out of Louisiana Tech. He spent six seasons with the Niners, two years in Tampa Bay and part of last season with Arizona. He went to training camp in 2007 with Tennessee.

He’s played in 40 games, with 18 starts, completing 60.5 percent of his passes, for an average of 6.8 yards per attempt with 31 TDS and 23 INTs. That’s a career passer rating of 81.9.

The Chiefs are not interested in bringing back David Greene, who was with them at the end of last season.

OUTSTANDING!!! I didn't realize Simms was that big though!! Damn! He wasn't that big at Texas.

Simms, Quinn, I don't mind either of those ideas. Just as long as we have some young QB that we can cal the QBOTF, so we don't automayically waste a first round pick on another "Victim Of The Future".

We need o-line. Qbs are going to continue to come here to die, unless we can start offering them some protection.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast