Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New QB?

Default New QB?

I heard that we are looking at Culpepper and Leftwich....

Is Leftwich not backing up Rothlesberger? can he just pick up and leave? FA? what about Gray if the Titans do not sign him? Quinn might not be a bad option. what would we have to give up for him? too many questions......and it's just the first game....again. Chan's offense needs mobility does it not?

Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    Is Leftwich not backing up Rothlesberger? can he just pick up and leave? FA? what about Gray if the Titans do not sign him? Quinn might not be a bad option. what would we have to give up for him? too many questions......and it's just the first game....again. Chan's offense needs mobility does it not?
    EXACTLY. Huard should not be the replacement. Maybe he could step in for one game, but if we don't sign anyone, it needs to be Thigpen if Croyle will be out for any extended amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    EXACTLY. Huard should not be the replacement. Maybe he could step in for one game, but if we don't sign anyone, it needs to be Thigpen if Croyle will be out for any extended amount of time.
    Yep I agree

For once, I think the pundits over at ESPN have it right. The big picture is that we are rebuilding. So why not start Thigpen until Croyle returns? If the intention of management was to think beyond Croyle, and to go long term towards winning, the QB question would have been dealt with in the off season. I think they'll make do until Croyle returns in a couple weeks.

Simms? I have to disagree with Texaschief. Simms was not well thought of by fans. He was often tagged as being a Primadonna. His fellow players didn't think highly of him either. Both of these complaints have followed him the the NFL. Without his last name, he would have never made it into the NFL.

Scouts Inc.: Huard might be the only choice for KC
    September 8, 2008 5:39 PM
    Posted by Scouts Inc.'s Ken Moll

Sunday was a dangerous day to be a high-profile NFL quarterback, as New England's Tom Brady and Tennessee's Vince Young both went down with injuries. But that doesn't mean all of the lesser-knowns were spared. The Kansas City Chiefs lost QB Brodie Croyle in the Patriots game, and they're in a quandary about where to go from here.

Chiefs coach Herm Edwards and his staff would have loved to develop strong-armed, athletic rookie QB Tyler Thigpen while bringing along Croyle in his third NFL season. But Croyle's shoulder injury (throwing arm) in the opener forced a move to 12-year veteran QB Damon Huard, who at least stepped in and performed admirably.

Kansas City obviously has formidable skill, talent and enough quality targets for a competent passer to exploit. RB Larry Johnson is one of the league's better runners. TE Tony Gonzalez is a future Hall of Famer who still is quite productive. Second-year WR Dwayne Bowe is a physical receiver who has the deceptive speed and excellent strength to get separation against nearly any defensive back. The threat of Johnson and a deliberate effort to move Gonzalez around (flexed out, split out, etc.) creates one-on-one matchups for Bowe. Doubling Bowe would open up the field for Gonzalez or Johnson. A capable passer who makes good decisions and who can stretch a defense could bring it all together.

In these situations, the coaching staff's next move often hinges on its standing with ownership. Edwards is likely on a short leash, so throwing an unready Thigpen into the fray could doom his staff. Is Huard the best option for the Chiefs to make a run now? Are other options available?

Kansas City might consider bringing in Chris Simms, Daunte Culpepper or Joey Harrington for a look. Every quarterback available at this point will come with inherent flaws, but each of those three brings something to the table. Simms and Harrington are the most cerebral of the bunch, and may be able to pick up the offense quickly. Culpepper still has the strong arm to deliver the ball vertically.

In any case, it will be important for the offense to stay balanced, because most opponents will stack the line of scrimmage to contain Johnson and force the Chiefs to move the ball through the air. Turning the controls over to Huard, a career backup who had a nice run as the team's emergency starter in 2006, could make for the smoothest transition for the entire offense. He has limited mobility but can bootleg and deliver accurate passes on the run, and he's also comfortable throwing from the pocket if the protection is firm.

Strangely, the quarterback situation is more of a dilemma for the Chiefs than it is for the Patriots or Titans, given the fallback options -- and what's at stake for their respective coaching staffs. Kansas City's front office likely will consider its outside options, but it won't find any game-changers available. Doing what they can to maintain continuity while Croyle is out may be the best chance the Chiefs have to move forward in 2008.

Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles for ESPN.com.
    Last edited by greg3564; 09-09-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by jtandcrew View Post
    Quinn? Did I misread something? I didnt think there was a option of anyone named Quinn.
    Brady Quinn. He is on The Cleveland Browns. He was drafted in the first round of the NFL draft by The Browns in 2007.

Just because noone else mentioned his name in this thread, doen't mean that he doesn't exist. Besides, I mentioned him.

Quote Originally Posted by jtandcrew View Post
    Between Culpepper, Leftwich, Rattay and Simms? Even though I always like Leftwich and Culpepper, I think I would take Simms. Simply because he HAD alot of promise and would love to see if he still has it. Aslong as they bring him in and let him study the playbook and give him a shot to start. If they are just going to bring in someone to b the 3rd QB till Croyle gets back then they should just find a emergency QB on the team and save the money.
    As for the rest of those names, Leftwich and Culpepper are the same as Huard, except that they are both bad QBs.

If we are going to go with an older guy, Huard will do just fine. No need to bring in another guy, for a rebuilding year. (Third one in a row.)

But, if we go and get someone who may be able to save us from using our '09 first round pick on a QB, then I'd be all for that. Only a younger QB can really have that effect.

There's only one thing left to do.......bring back Grbac!!!

Quote Originally Posted by greg3564 View Post
    For once, I think the pundits over at ESPN have it right. The big picture is that we are rebuilding. So why not start Thigpen until Croyle returns?

Perfect post.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123