Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WHITLOCK - Peterson’s made a mess

Default WHITLOCK - Peterson’s made a mess

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/ch...ory/119040.html

It’s going to be hard to build team chemistry with Trent Green hanging at one end of the locker room nailed to a cross.

Herm Edwards might want to ask for a raise. You could argue he has the toughest job in coaching this offseason.

Herm is trying to move the Chiefs’ franchise in a new, youthful, defensive, winning and boring direction. He’s overhauling the roster, installing a wishbone offense and auditioning quarterbacks three plays at a time.

While Herm works his magic, his most important player (Larry Johnson) is preparing for a major contract dispute with Carl Peterson, Herm’s best defensive player (Jared Allen) is still fuming about his contract dealings with Peterson, and Herm’s most trusted leader (Trent Green) is trying to disgrace Peterson into making a trade with the Miami Dolphins.

Yep, Tuesday’s OTAs — otherwise known as “offseason turmoil announcements” — got off to a delicious start. You can’t blame Herm if he’s longing for his glorious New York days when all he really had to worry about was getting a fifth-string quarterback ready to face the New England Patriots.

Working around King Carl’s messes is one of the most underappreciated skills in all of professional sports. Marty Schottenheimer quit in disgust. Gunther Cunningham lost his mind. Dick Vermeil found the whole process beneath him.

Herm? We don’t know how he’ll handle it, though we’re going to find out shortly.

The early signs are troubling. On Tuesday, in order to make good on the false promise King Carl made to Green about a fair QB competition, Herm rotated his four quarterbacks — Green, Damon Huard, Brodie Croyle and Casey Printers — three plays at a time.

Herm spent all offseason proclaiming his love of Croyle and promising to get younger. Peterson gave Huard a new contract, asked Green to take a pay cut and then told Green to find a team willing to make a trade.

And now here we are at the end of May, and the Chiefs want to play musical quarterbacks. It’s a silly, directionless game that Green justifiably has no interest in playing.

That’s why he held a 23-minute news conference/crucifixion after the workout. He did everything except say he’d been scarred for life by the half-truths he believes Peterson and Edwards have told, and Green came dangerously close to calling Peterson a nappy-headed, leather-coated GM.

Man, it was ugly. Green stood in the bowels of Arrowhead Stadium and said he desperately wants to play for the Miami Dolphins. The problem for Peterson and Edwards is that all the players in the locker room seem to agree with Green. They believe Green is unfairly being held hostage by the front office.

For six years the players in that locker room have put their faith in Trent Green. He rewarded that trust with courageous play, unwavering loyalty and rock-solid leadership. Green is beloved and respected in Kansas City’s locker room.

Other than Will Shields, who retired, Green is the last guy the Chiefs need hanging from a cross while Herm is trying to move the team in a positive, new, boring direction.

Good cop/bad cop doesn’t work in professional football. Herm can’t love away all of Peterson’s bad business dealings. The players need to feel the love all the way from the top of the organization.

That does not mean the players have to be coddled. It just means it’s dangerous to have your rank-and-file players believe that the team’s president/general manager is mistreating the player they respect the most.

The Chiefs should cut Trent Green or trade him today. End of story.

The organization looks weak, mean-spirited and clueless every day they hold on to Green and continue the QB charade. If Croyle is the man, he doesn’t need to play musical QBs with Green casting a shadow this summer.

How does musical QBs help Croyle develop?

Green doesn’t want to be here. He’s mentally checked out on Kansas City. He wants to go to south Florida and reunite with Cam Cameron. Another day of “offseason turmoil announcements” is very harmful to the 2007 Chiefs. Each day Herm’s job gets more difficult.

It’s time for Clark Hunt to step in and tell King Carl this is unhealthy for the franchise and not the way the Chiefs are going to treat six-year, loyal employees. And while Clark has the King on the phone, he might want to tell the King to clean out his office, too.

Smile

It’s time for Clark Hunt to step in and tell King Carl this is unhealthy for the franchise and not the way the Chiefs are going to treat six-year, loyal employees. And while Clark has the King on the phone, he might want to tell the King to clean out his office, too.

I agree with Whitlock, the way this team is handled is a travesty, as goofey as Donald Duck is I don't think that he would have made this big of a mess.
    Trent deserves better than the way :character00179: is treating him, and I actually feel sorry for Coach Edwards, having to try to make something of this team in the wake of :character00179: mishandling. Oh well, I'm use to it, and management will do it his :character00179: way.

:character00179: You betcha Kiddoo, I run the show, and don't You Forget It!!
    Go Chiefs Eleven, win
    in 2007!!:fighting0068:

Quote Originally Posted by kenny1937 View Post

I agree with Whitlock, the way this team is handled is a travesty...

I have said it before, and I think it bears repeating: no other team in the NFL would have kept Carl on the payroll as long as the Chiefs have. I wonder if Clark Hunt will have the same patience with him as did Lamar.

Now, having said thus, I also believe it's a bit unreasonable of Miami to expect Carl to just let Green go for them to pick up for free having turned down Carl's offer to let him go for a sixth rounder and trading 3rds. What does this say about Miami's GM that he feels that Trent's worth nothing in trade value, and why would Green want to go there?
    Last edited by Chiefster; 05-23-2007 at 09:47 PM.

Everyday this drags on, Carl Peterson looks worse. Not the Chiefs, Carl Peterson. If you all hate CP as much as you say you do, I'd be hoping for this to continue because Carl is becoming a laughing stock on all of the radio shows.

Everyone knows that Carl has to blink first because the Chiefs can't carry Trent's payroll. So when Carl has to cut Trent, the Dolphins will pick him up for nothing. A 6th round pick isn't really getting any value anyway. This is doing more harm than its worth unless you hate Carl and want to see his reptuation tarnished.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Everyday this drags on, Carl Peterson looks worse. Not the Chiefs, Carl Peterson. If you all hate CP as much as you say you do, I'd be hoping for this to continue because Carl is becoming a laughing stock on all of the radio shows.

Everyone knows that Carl has to blink first because the Chiefs can't carry Trent's payroll. So when Carl has to cut Trent, the Dolphins will pick him up for nothing. A 6th round pick isn't really getting any value anyway. This is doing more harm than its worth unless you hate Carl and want to see his reptuation tarnished.

I don't hate Carl, just wish he would not put his pride before the good of the team because the longer this drags on the bigger distraction it becomes for the team and the organization as a whole. Not to disagree with you about how this looks on the Chiefs but I think that how Carl conducts business on behalf of the Chiefs reflects upon the Chiefs. JMHO.

I've tried to back off on my Carl bashing rhetoric because I don't really see this situation as totally his fault; I don't necessarily blame him for at least trying to get some value for Trent. I just wish he would for the good of all involved just go ahead and release Trent.

Interesting Q&A video with Herm Edwards:

http://www.kcchiefs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post

To have Carl gone... What a party that would be.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

i like trent also, but if i was was the phins GM i`d wait till the chiefs release him or find someone else. but then again i would have picked whats his name from the irsh at draft time. trents going tobe 37, and had a bad injury,just like culpepper. i wouldnt offer any higher than a 6th but probably would have traded a 6th and swapped 3rds.
    to me clark needs to do something,this makes the chiefs front office look bad now and to anyone else they might want to sign.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Guys, I too, have at times had my fill of Carl Peterson, but I'm going to be somewhat passive when it comes to the Trent Green situation...for now.

What IF, just what IF Brodie isn't quite ready to take over as the starter and what IF Trent returns to form? Is there really a problem having Green as the starter in 2007?

Now with that said, I too would rather see a deal done for Trent if for no other reason than to help push forward with the overall rebuilding of the team. But accepting anything less than a 2008 4th round pick is poor managing of one's assests. Keep in mind that with training camp comes injuries and just because a deal is not worked out with Miami, doesn't mean that another team won't NEED to trade for Trent.

If all else fails, the Chiefs can make Trent their final camp cut thus spreading the cap hit out over the 2007 and 2008 cap years. :character0013:

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    Guys, I too, have at times had my fill of Carl Peterson, but I'm going to be somewhat passive when it comes to the Trent Green situation...for now.

What IF, just what IF Brodie isn't quite ready to take over as the starter and what IF Trent returns to form? Is there really a problem having Green as the starter in 2007?

Now with that said, I too would rather see a deal done for Trent if for no other reason than to help push forward with the overall rebuilding of the team. But accepting anything less than a 2008 4th round pick is poor managing of one's assests. Keep in mind that with training camp comes injuries and just because a deal is not worked out with Miami, doesn't mean that another team won't NEED to trade for Trent.

If all else fails, the Chiefs can make Trent their final camp cut thus spreading the cap hit out over the 2007 and 2008 cap years. :character0013:
    Not as far as I'm concerned; I'm a big Trent Green fan, but he has already stated, many times, in the media that he no longer desires to remain in KC. These comments coming after being told that the team is moving in a different direction and being asked to restructure his contract to remain with the Chiefs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast