Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WHITLOCK - Peterson’s made a mess

Default WHITLOCK - Peterson’s made a mess

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/ch...ory/119040.html

It’s going to be hard to build team chemistry with Trent Green hanging at one end of the locker room nailed to a cross.

Herm Edwards might want to ask for a raise. You could argue he has the toughest job in coaching this offseason.

Herm is trying to move the Chiefs’ franchise in a new, youthful, defensive, winning and boring direction. He’s overhauling the roster, installing a wishbone offense and auditioning quarterbacks three plays at a time.

While Herm works his magic, his most important player (Larry Johnson) is preparing for a major contract dispute with Carl Peterson, Herm’s best defensive player (Jared Allen) is still fuming about his contract dealings with Peterson, and Herm’s most trusted leader (Trent Green) is trying to disgrace Peterson into making a trade with the Miami Dolphins.

Yep, Tuesday’s OTAs — otherwise known as “offseason turmoil announcements” — got off to a delicious start. You can’t blame Herm if he’s longing for his glorious New York days when all he really had to worry about was getting a fifth-string quarterback ready to face the New England Patriots.

Working around King Carl’s messes is one of the most underappreciated skills in all of professional sports. Marty Schottenheimer quit in disgust. Gunther Cunningham lost his mind. Dick Vermeil found the whole process beneath him.

Herm? We don’t know how he’ll handle it, though we’re going to find out shortly.

The early signs are troubling. On Tuesday, in order to make good on the false promise King Carl made to Green about a fair QB competition, Herm rotated his four quarterbacks — Green, Damon Huard, Brodie Croyle and Casey Printers — three plays at a time.

Herm spent all offseason proclaiming his love of Croyle and promising to get younger. Peterson gave Huard a new contract, asked Green to take a pay cut and then told Green to find a team willing to make a trade.

And now here we are at the end of May, and the Chiefs want to play musical quarterbacks. It’s a silly, directionless game that Green justifiably has no interest in playing.

That’s why he held a 23-minute news conference/crucifixion after the workout. He did everything except say he’d been scarred for life by the half-truths he believes Peterson and Edwards have told, and Green came dangerously close to calling Peterson a nappy-headed, leather-coated GM.

Man, it was ugly. Green stood in the bowels of Arrowhead Stadium and said he desperately wants to play for the Miami Dolphins. The problem for Peterson and Edwards is that all the players in the locker room seem to agree with Green. They believe Green is unfairly being held hostage by the front office.

For six years the players in that locker room have put their faith in Trent Green. He rewarded that trust with courageous play, unwavering loyalty and rock-solid leadership. Green is beloved and respected in Kansas City’s locker room.

Other than Will Shields, who retired, Green is the last guy the Chiefs need hanging from a cross while Herm is trying to move the team in a positive, new, boring direction.

Good cop/bad cop doesn’t work in professional football. Herm can’t love away all of Peterson’s bad business dealings. The players need to feel the love all the way from the top of the organization.

That does not mean the players have to be coddled. It just means it’s dangerous to have your rank-and-file players believe that the team’s president/general manager is mistreating the player they respect the most.

The Chiefs should cut Trent Green or trade him today. End of story.

The organization looks weak, mean-spirited and clueless every day they hold on to Green and continue the QB charade. If Croyle is the man, he doesn’t need to play musical QBs with Green casting a shadow this summer.

How does musical QBs help Croyle develop?

Green doesn’t want to be here. He’s mentally checked out on Kansas City. He wants to go to south Florida and reunite with Cam Cameron. Another day of “offseason turmoil announcements” is very harmful to the 2007 Chiefs. Each day Herm’s job gets more difficult.

It’s time for Clark Hunt to step in and tell King Carl this is unhealthy for the franchise and not the way the Chiefs are going to treat six-year, loyal employees. And while Clark has the King on the phone, he might want to tell the King to clean out his office, too.

If I were in Trent's shoes, I would probably be saying the same thing. But as Herman Edwards has been saying, "things change" and sooner or later the situation with Green will be clarified. If the door is closed with Miami, Trent will have to decide to either hold a clipboard, work with Keyshawn or fight for the starting job in K.C.. Bottom line for this fan...it doesn't much matter either way, there are games to be won with or without Trent Green!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    If I were in Trent's shoes, I would probably be saying the same thing. But as Herman Edwards has been saying, "things change" and sooner or later the situation with Green will be clarified. If the door is closed with Miami, Trent will have to decide to either hold a clipboard, work with Keyshawn or fight for the starting job in K.C.. Bottom line for this fan...it doesn't much matter either way, there are games to be won with or without Trent Green!!!

I completely agree; you've seen the latest press conference on kcchiefs.com haven't ya.

Yes I did, and I completely agree with Herman Edwards. I also read the article at NFL.com about how the Chiefs have not returned Green's agent's phone calls...I'm very happy with how the organization is handling the situation. Yes, it would have been nice to have this all behind us but that hasn't happened.

Coach is getting ready to coach whoever is on the field PERIOD!

Yes I did, and I completely agree with Herman Edwards. I also read the article at NFL.com about how the Chiefs have not returned Green's agent's phone calls...I'm very happy with how the organization is handling the situation. Yes, it would have been nice to have this all behind us but that hasn't happened.

I am in total agreeance with ya, Cisko kid. At least, on this one subject.

Problem I have with how this is being handled is that CP may say that he is prepared to carry Green's current contract throughout the 2007 Season, while "moving the team in a different direction", but I simply don't buy that he is going to pay him what his contract currently states to sit on the bench and carry a clip board. Green has already stated that he will not agree to restructure his contract and that he does not plan to play for the Chiefs in 2007. So, this is how I see it going down: CP will wait until the very last cut in pre-season then let him go.

Of course I spend much of my time being wrong. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Problem I have with how this is being handled is that CP may say that he is prepared to carry Green's current contract throughout the 2007 Season, while "moving the team in a different direction", but I simply don't buy that he is going to pay him what his contract currently states to sit on the bench and carry a clip board. Green has already stated that he will not agree to restructure his contract and that he does not plan to play for the Chiefs in 2007. So, this is how I see it going down: CP will wait until the very last cut in pre-season then let him go.

Of course I spend much of my time being wrong. :p
    This is the second "mishandling" of the situation, that I think Trent is guilty of. I believe that he is still welcome to seek a trade, with other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    This is the second "mishandling" of the situation, that I think Trent is guilty of. I believe that he is still welcome to seek a trade, with other teams.

That I will agree with you; clearly he should have shopped around more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    That I will agree with you; clearly he should have shopped around more.
    I agree with you!

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I agree with you!

Hey this is a red letter date in "Crowd" history; we all agree with one another.

You are all wrong...Green should go to Miami and nowhere else. :) Can't have everyone getting along in here!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast