Thread: He's Seen this Picture Before (kinda makes you feel all warm and fuzzy huh)

Default He's Seen this Picture Before (kinda makes you feel all warm and fuzzy huh)

He's Seen This Picture Before

Sep 10, 2008, 8:50:08 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

Maybe it has something to do with the No. 33.
    Maybe this seemingly impossible task that Herm Edwards has of keeping quarterbacks healthy comes down to a pox upon his football house that’s tied to those 33 interceptions he had during his 10-year NFL playing career.
    Could the quarterback gods be paying him back? Silly, you say? Then explain why this Sunday, Edwards will make his 15th quarterback change in his last 51 games as a head coach.
    Do the math: that’s a change at quarterback every 3.5 games. We aren’t talking about sending a guy in to mop up at the end of a bad loss or big victory. No, it’s 15 times since the opening day of the 2005 season that because of injury or performance, Edwards has scratched out one quarterback’s name and written in another.
    Edwards just sighs at the subject.
    “Right now, I’m not sure I know anything else,” Edwards said.
    Maybe this is a curse on a defensive minded head coach, although Bill Belichick didn’t have the same problem until just few days ago. Same for Tony Dungy.
    Quarterbacks get hurt all the time and any coach in the game long enough has to deal with the ramifications. But Edwards story is unusual and continues this week as Damon Huard steps in for Brodie Croyle, who suffered a shoulder injury last Sunday in New England.
    As Edwards said on Tuesday, when a team puts its eggs into the basket of a young quarterback, they hope they remain in one piece.
    “When you build your offense, you’re building around that guy,” Edwards said of the quarterback, and in this case Croyle. “You try to build a system that he can handle and that he can be successful in. So when they miss time, that’s bothersome … when he comes back, he’s got to stay healthy. That’s key for him and key for us. If he can stay healthy we feel like we can win with him and we can do some things in our offense to make it go.”
    Making it go has been a problem for Edwards and his offenses, and a big reason has been the quarterback shuffle. Let’s start with the ‘05 New York Jets opener, ironically in Arrowhead Stadium against the Chiefs. Chad Pennington was the starter that season. In game three he suffered a rotator cuff injury that ended his season. His replacement Jay Fielder suffered a shoulder injury himself and was done for the season.
    Brooks Bollinger, in his second NFL game, started next. He was replaced by veteran Vinny Testaverde who at the time was about 120 years old. Twice, Bollinger went in and replaced Testaverde in the next four games, before replacing him as starter. In the season’s 10th game, Bollinger and Testaverde were both hurt, bringing in emergency quarterback Kliff Kingsbury. Bollinger started the next week and for the rest of the season, replaced once by Testaverde.
    That’s 16 games and seven QB moves.
    Edwards moved to the Chiefs in ‘06 and Trent Green, an ironman until then, went down in the season’s first game. Huard replaced him for eight games until Green came back and finished out the season. That was a calm year, with 17 games and two changes.
    Then came last year, where Huard started the season, but went out three different times with minor injuries in the first nine games. Eventually, Croyle replaced him, made two starts and then had to come out with a back injury. Huard came in for a week then Croyle returned for the final four starts. But he had to leave the Detroit game because of a wrist injury.
    That’s 16 games and five changes.
    Now the ‘08 season has begun and already with just one game, there’s another change.
    Is it the types of quarterbacks Edwards has on his roster? Is it something in the team’s training methods? Is it the water? A simple answer to his quarterback woes evades detection by the head coach.
    “If there was some way to change this, you don’t think I would?” Edwards said. “It’s football. Players get hurt. It just happens that our quarterback is getting hurt.”

Tornado that is a badass Sig!

15 QB changes in 51 games? Damn! Once Herm's wild ride at KC is done at the end of this season, I highly doubt he'll ever be a head coach again. Just doesn't have it in him. A guy with a regular season record of 52-61 doesn't get this many opportunities.

Certain coaches are better suited to be position coaches and Herm's one of those position coaches.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by YZILLA View Post
    Tornado that is a badass Sig!
    Thanks!!!!! Tammie made it for me, she is the best!
    You rock tammietailgater!!!
    Last edited by tornadospotter; 09-10-2008 at 03:25 PM.

I am sure that some of you knew that I would have some fun with this....

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    He's Seen This Picture Before

Sep 10, 2008, 8:50:08 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

Maybe it has something to do with the No. 33.
    Maybe this seemingly impossible task that Herm Edwards has of keeping quarterbacks healthy comes down to a pox upon his football house that’s tied to those 33 interceptions he had during his 10-year NFL playing career.

Ooooooooo! That could be it!

Could the quarterback gods be paying him back?

No. Clearly this is the real reason.

Silly, you say?

No Way!!!! It happens all the time!

Then explain why this Sunday, Edwards will make his 15th quarterback change in his last 51 games as a head coach.

Maybe later. Or every other post I make here. :)

Do the math: that’s a change at quarterback every 3.5 games. We aren’t talking about sending a guy in to mop up at the end of a bad loss or big victory. No, it’s 15 times since the opening day of the 2005 season that because of injury or performance, Edwards has scratched out one quarterback’s name and written in another.

That's just crazy? Is there some way to find out how they are getting injured?

Are they getting carpal tunnel? Is it illness? Are they falling down the stairs at home? What on Earth could possibly be hurting these NFL quarterbacks?

Edwards just sighs at the subject.
    “Right now, I’m not sure I know anything else,” Edwards said.

There seems to be no logical cause for these mysterious injuries, hunh, Herm?

Maybe this is a curse on a defensive minded head coach,

A CURSE!!!! Blast those damned Gypsies!!! It must be all their fault!

although Bill Belichick didn’t have the same problem until just few days ago. Same for Tony Dungy.

Well, why not? Wouldn't they be just as susceptible?

Quarterbacks get hurt all the time and any coach in the game long enough has to deal with the ramifications.

Oh. Ok. So it isn't unusual? That's a relief.

But Edwards story is unusual and continues this week as Damon Huard steps in for Brodie Croyle, who suffered a shoulder injury last Sunday in New England.

DAMMIT! I thought we were in the clear there. So, this is something that is specific to Herm Edwards? Hmmmmm.....

As Edwards said on Tuesday, when a team puts its eggs into the basket of a young quarterback, they hope they remain in one piece.

IT'S THE BASKET!!! The basket must be fragile! That's it. All of the quarterbacks are just fragile. Case closed!

“When you build your offense, you’re building around that guy,” Edwards said of the quarterback, and in this case Croyle. “You try to build a system that he can handle and that he can be successful in. So when they miss time, that’s bothersome … when he comes back, he’s got to stay healthy. That’s key for him and key for us.

Yup. I sure am glad that we got to the bottom of all of this. It's obviously the quarterbacks' faults.

If he can stay healthy we feel like we can win with him and we can do some things in our offense to make it go.”

Damn fragile egg baskets! Maybe if he yells at them, "STAY HEALTHY!!!" then they won't get injured.

Making it go has been a problem for Edwards and his offenses, and a big reason has been the quarterback shuffle. Let’s start with the ‘05 New York Jets opener, ironically in Arrowhead Stadium against the Chiefs. Chad Pennington was the starter that season.

Everybody knows how fragile he is.

In game three he suffered a rotator cuff injury that ended his season. His replacement Jay Fielder suffered a shoulder injury himself and was done for the season.

Him too.

Brooks Bollinger, in his second NFL game, started next. He was replaced by veteran Vinny Testaverde who at the time was about 120 years old. Twice, Bollinger went in and replaced Testaverde in the next four games, before replacing him as starter. In the season’s 10th game, Bollinger and Testaverde were both hurt,

Ummm... Them too...?

bringing in emergency quarterback Kliff Kingsbury. Bollinger started the next week and for the rest of the season, replaced once by Testaverde.
    That’s 16 games and seven QB moves.

That's alot of crappy, fragile baskets.

Edwards moved to the Chiefs in ‘06 and Trent Green, an ironman until then, went down in the season’s first game.

Oh. Guess he wasn't so tough after all. We showed him!

Huard replaced him for eight games until Green came back and finished out the season. That was a calm year, with 17 games and two changes.

Green had been lucky. But Huard is obviously not so fragile. He made it several games without being injured. That's how a quarterback is supposed to be. TOUGH!

Then came last year, where Huard started the season, but went out three different times with minor injuries in the first nine games.

DAMMIT! This is bull***t! Someone is toying with me. This could't possibly be a true story.

Eventually, Croyle replaced him, made two starts and then had to come out with a back injury.

Just stop it. This isn't even funny anymore. Who's making up these stories? I bet it's you Chiefster. Knock it off.

Huard came in for a week then Croyle returned for the final four starts. But he had to leave the Detroit game because of a wrist injury.

You're just going to drag this gag on out, aren't you?

That’s 16 games and five changes.

Yup. Pretty funny guys. Ha, ha. You got me.

Now the ‘08 season has begun and already with just one game, there’s another change.

Hollywood doesn't even make stories that are this far-fetched. Did you really think that I would fall for it this long?

Is it the types of quarterbacks Edwards has on his roster?

Whatever. He was dealing with all kinds, from places that I have never even heard of.

Is it something in the team’s training methods?

Which team? Both?

Is it the water?

In New York and in K.C.? Probably.

A simple answer to his quarterback woes evades detection by the head coach.

You don't say? That means that this would be a bonafide enigma, if the incredible Hermie can't figure it out.

“If there was some way to change this, you don’t think I would?”

Sorry, but no. I don't think so, since you haven't attempted it yet.

Edwards said. “It’s football. Players get hurt. It just happens that our quarterback is getting hurt.”
    Yeah. But doesn't it seem to happen more to you, than it does to any other coach............Like, ever?

Maybe one of you guys can help me solve this riddle. The writer seems to suggest that it is unsolvable, and Herm seems to agree.

But, if we put our heads together, and put countless hours, days, months, and even years, (Herm has been working on this puzzle for seven plus seasons) we can at least come up with some kind of connection between things that Herm does that could be somehow related to all of these bizarre occurances.

What do you guys think? Can we at least give this a shot? I, for one, am always up for attempting what has been proven to be impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I am sure that some of you knew that I would have some fun with this....

Yeah. But doesn't it seem to happen more to you, than it does to any other coach............Like, ever?

Maybe one of you guys can help me solve this riddle. The writer seems to suggest that it is unsolvable, and Herm seems to agree.

But, if we put our heads together, and put countless hours, days, months, and even years, (Herm has been working on this puzzle for seven plus seasons) we can at least come up with some kind of connection between things that Herm does that could be somehow related to all of these bizarre occurances.

What do you guys think? Can we at least give this a shot? I, for one, am always up for attempting what has been proven to be impossible.

Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    Edwards said. “It’s football. Players get hurt. It just happens that our quarterback is getting hurt.”

.... "Get over it"?

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    .... "Get over it"?
    ....Kinda like our win streak in Arrowhead.... " Get over it"