Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holmgren.

Default Holmgren.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Looks like he may be back after taking next year off. It mentions he has a home and is building a second one in CA. He has no noncompete agreements with the Seahawks so he could go anywhere if he comes back.

Hmmm... Anybody think he may wind up in San Fran or jokeland? If he goes back to where he began his career with the 'niners, that would make Mike Nolan available. I wonder where he would go.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by jtandcrew View Post
    Marty only took a year or 2 off before going back to coaching. Im sure Cowher is starting to get the itch as well. I woudnt be offended to bring Marty back and let him run things either. I would prefer Cowher but Holmgren and Marty would be better than what we have or atleast diffrent.
    Anything outside of Matt Millen would be better than what you have right now...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    Holmgren is a very good coach, and has had success everywhere he went. However the west coast variety system that he runs doesn't fit the personnel you guys have started to put in place...Bowe is a great vertical threat, but what I've seen at times are sloppy routes and his focus on routine catches evades him at times. Not the ideal WR for a west coast offense. Additionally the QB position is a problem as is the O-line for what Holmgren would want to accomplish.

Cowher is a much better fit, where he could use most of your current personnel and just fill in a few holes with his more conservative power pased offense. Really the difference between Cowher and Herm is the realization that you have to prioritize the O-line in the draft and you have to mix up the play calling just a little bit.
    Thats where a good coach trains his guys to run the right routes. In the west coast offense you almost always have to have a vertical threat in every route. I think Bowe would fit in any offense from what ive seen.

No matter what coach we bring in is going to have to address the QB position (unless Croyle can prove he can take the hit and not get injured). Main thing the next coach or Herm (God forbid) is going to be the O-line. The D will come back if Herm will get rid of the damned cover 2 (prevent) defense!

Thats where a good coach trains his guys to run the right routes. In the west coast offense you almost always have to have a vertical threat in every route. I think Bowe would fit in any offense from what ive seen.

No matter what coach we bring in is going to have to address the QB position (unless Croyle can prove he can take the hit and not get injured). Main thing the next coach or Herm (God forbid) is going to be the O-line. The D will come back if Herm will get rid of the damned cover 2 (prevent) defense!
    The cover 2 doesn't have to be a 'prevent'...but you have to have the right personnel to run it. Think about the Tampa Bay Bucs from about 98 to '02. It wasn't just the scheme that made that defense work, it was also the personnel. Heck they still have the right personnel. It isn't about all-star super talented Linebackers...its about guys that are fast and fill a role. Derrick Brooks was the only really athletic guy in that group...but the other linebackers on the Bucs back then were very fast and were tackling machines. D-brooks made the big plays...the other guys just made the basic ones. Sapp & Simeon Rice could create plenty of pass rush from both the inside and outside, which forced double teams on them freeing the linebackers up to make plays. The corners weren't super fast, but they were physical, and great tacklers...they'd give you a 2-3 yard out or slant, but you didn't get 10-15 yards after the catch...EVER.

The defense forces you to gain in small yardages and is dependant on a pass rush that will put you in 2nd/3rd and long situations to end a drive. It works...but again you need the personnel to make it work. Last year you guys had the pass rush, but not the secondary...this year the needs seem to have switched.

It isn't the scheme though...it is the personnel. Tampa is still running the scheme and their defense is doing just fine.
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    The cover 2 doesn't have to be a 'prevent'...but you have to have the right personnel to run it. Think about the Tampa Bay Bucs from about 98 to '02. It wasn't just the scheme that made that defense work, it was also the personnel. Heck they still have the right personnel. It isn't about all-star super talented Linebackers...its about guys that are fast and fill a role. Derrick Brooks was the only really athletic guy in that group...but the other linebackers on the Bucs back then were very fast and were tackling machines. D-brooks made the big plays...the other guys just made the basic ones. Sapp & Simeon Rice could create plenty of pass rush from both the inside and outside, which forced double teams on them freeing the linebackers up to make plays. The corners weren't super fast, but they were physical, and great tacklers...they'd give you a 2-3 yard out or slant, but you didn't get 10-15 yards after the catch...EVER.

The defense forces you to gain in small yardages and is dependant on a pass rush that will put you in 2nd/3rd and long situations to end a drive. It works...but again you need the personnel to make it work. Last year you guys had the pass rush, but not the secondary...this year the needs seem to have switched.

It isn't the scheme though...it is the personnel. Tampa is still running the scheme and their defense is doing just fine.
    Im sorry to disagree with you but, it IS the scheme of how this defense works. Its no diffrent then the run and shoot and now its no diffrent than the spread offense in college football. Yes, I understand you have to have the right personnel but thats where Carl and Herm hasnt got it done. These players are getting paid millions of dollars a year and they should be able to adapt to what ever offense or defense the team is running.

Im sorry to disagree with you but, it IS the scheme of how this defense works. Its no diffrent then the run and shoot and now its no diffrent than the spread offense in college football. Yes, I understand you have to have the right personnel but thats where Carl and Herm hasnt got it done. These players are getting paid millions of dollars a year and they should be able to adapt to what ever offense or defense the team is running.
    If it was the scheme that didn't work anymore Tampa's D would be folding...however with the right personnel the scheme works. That was my point.

All goood points..Butt..Our div is goonnnaa change..
    Faders-run-QB/run(bigboy) Dev Zone blocking/running
    S.D.? Direction on 10/12 against NE gotta see..Is LT done? How they draft suspect.
    The only Racing Team that matters-HENDRICK MotorSports. 24\48\88\5.. I need another! :please: :
    I'm out..

1 Free "Get Out Of Mancard Violation" earned by braving The Black Hole as The Chiefs redeemed themselves.

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    Ok, we get it...u found smilie faces with beer. Give it a rest.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

I love those smilies.

http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

How do I get these - ?
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12