Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Johnson lashes out at Chiefs

Default Larry Johnson lashes out at Chiefs

Early in the third quarter Week 2 against the Raiders, Larry Johnson rumbled up the middle for a 2-yard gain, his 12th carry against the Oakland Raiders. It turned out to be Johnson's last -- and he didn't like it. Unhappy with his role in a dismal offense, Johnson lashed out at Kansas City's coaching staff and front office Sunday, saying he didn't see himself being a part of the team in the future. "Something's going on -- I just don't know what it is," Johnson said after a 23-8 loss to Oakland in the Chiefs' home opener. "I'm going to sit down and talk with someone." Johnson had a relatively successful start to this season, running for a team-high 74 yards on 22 carries in a hard-fought 17-10 road loss to the defending AFC champion New England Patriots. He didn't have nearly the same impact against the Raiders, finishing with 22 yards for a 1.8 per-carry average, and complained about it afterward. "I've been here long enough to know that if I'm not getting the ball, then I'm tired," he said. "If I'm not tired and I'm not getting the ball, something's going on and I've got to deal with it."

Run production always goes down for people like Larry Johnson that are invite contact. It happens all the time. Plowbacks always run out of steam after 2-3 years. Jamal Lewis, Cory Dillion, Clinton Portis, and LJ all have burned out even though in there prime they were breaking single game, and single saeson records. The greatest running backs are the ones that dance around and avoid contact, like Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, and even LT (sigh). Larry just does not have the thump anymore.

The greatest RB's are ones who are versatile and hit the endzone no matter what. Walter Payton a dancer?? No, not even close, he clashed over Defenders for the TD. Its true that most powerbacks wear out, but its all about getting the touchdown. Even a withered rb can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by jakesmith View Post
    I wonder why anyone is surprised by the way LJ is acting. He has never really been a team player. Least we forget when LJ started complaining a few years ago because he wasnt getting enough playing time. At that time he backing up the best RB in game at that time. I knew then that he was all about himself and not the team.

But as it is, we are stuck with LJ. No one is going to take him except us.
    It all started when the city did not back him and turned on him when he got in a little trouble. He has never liked KC and has always *****ed about being here

Jerome Bettis (a powerback) once had a game with -3 yards and 3 touchdowns. I would consider this the team around him being productive, not him, even though he could get the touchdowns.

Our team relies on Larry to move the ball down the field, not just get in the endzone. His 2.8 yards a carry will not cut it.

You are correct about Payton, he would plow in when he got near the endzone, but he was not looking for contact everytime he got the ball.

No, Payton didnt always have contact..but thats what he's most known for. I do agree that LJ is s'posed to carry the ball down the field. Maybe thats part of the problem. I think LJ would be a lot more effective at this point, once were down the field to get the score. This offers him a reward in the TD as well. I think we can pass and run w/smith and charles well enough to get down to the red...then we can let LJ be "the key guy."

Quote Originally Posted by leaves View Post
    No, Payton didnt always have contact..but thats what he's most known for. I do agree that LJ is s'posed to carry the ball down the field. Maybe thats part of the problem. I think LJ would be a lot more effective at this point, once were down the field to get the score. This offers him a reward in the TD as well. I think we can pass and run w/smith and charles well enough to get down to the red...then we can let LJ be "the key guy."
    HUH? Why have Charles and Smith hammer it the 1st 90 yards and then let LJ get the glory with the TD?
    SHUT IT

It is completely wrong, but thats what many systems end up doing. Smith and Charles are modest enough do go with it for a season or two until we can do something about it. A good example of this is Tenn., who has Chris Johnson working the field, but LenDale White score the td's... saints do it, steelers did it, cowboys did it.

I think LJ is a better RB than Priest. Priest was a better Team Player. If you're wondering how I can say LJ's better at RB, well, go look at any stats. LJ gets more yds, he's stronger, maybe faster. Holmes got into the endzone more though. We don't need studs right now, we need a team.
    Your out of your mind to say LJ is better!!!

Priest could do it all!!!

Running: LJ is strickly power. Priest is balanced, able to run scatback (like if he has to bounce outside when the line implodes) or come right at someone if it comes down to it.

Catching: Why dont you look up the stats on that!!!

Blocking: Priest was Full Back in College blocking for Ricky Williams and FB for Ravens, he s an awesome blocker. LJ is a joke of a blocker.

Attitude: Self explanitory.

Cant believe you said LJ is better.

It is completely wrong, but thats what many systems end up doing. Smith and Charles are modest enough do go with it for a season or two until we can do something about it. A good example of this is Tenn., who has Chris Johnson working the field, but LenDale White score the td's... saints do it, steelers did it, cowboys did it.
    Every teams' situation is different. Pittsburg, for example, used Bettis in the red zone. But Bettis was a fan favorite and locker room favorite. kinda like the Fridge on 85 Bears.
    LJ is a jacka$$.
    SHUT IT

Okay, yes LJ is kind of a jack***, but he's still bigger than Charles or Smith and would get in the endzone, I assure you that.

And as for Priest Holmes being better because he can run, block, and catch better than LJ... I don't think so. Priest can run/pull away from defenders, he got injured most of the times he tried to plow, he got injured. I would agree he could catch better, but that doesnt really support the generic running back role. And as for blocking, I have never heard of him blocking for Ricky Williams or Jamal Lewis, what I've heard of is him being replaced by Ricky @ Texas and backing up Jamal Lewis.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast