Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Growing pains

Default Growing pains

There was quiet optimism among Chiefs fans this season with the big draft we had and the fact that they were handing the reigns over to Croyle and he was going to be THE GUY this season. Even with Croyle as the QB this season, everyone knew there was a chance that this season could be rough with as many rookies and 2nd or 3rd year players as we had on this team.

There is something to be said for building with and playing a young team. I'm sure i don't have to go over the benefits, but nobody seems to be patient enough to go thru some of the growing pains that come along with playing a young team. I've been right there with y'all this decade. I've seen us have a really good team in 2003 and have watched us get increasingly worse since then. I know every problem this team has. I get it.

I've seen it written a lot here that "major changes" need to happen on this team. But there's a problem with that logic, you can't get much more major than what they did this past offseason. Almost three quarters of this entire team is composed of players with less than 3 years experience. It's going to take some seasoning for these guys to play like a NFL team.

I'm guessing the "major changes" you are referring to are management. This whole mess is Peterson's fault. As the GM, you should never let your team get as old as it was the last two seasons. You should've drafted players who could eventually replace the guys who would be retiring. The problems with the Oline have nothing to do with the head coach. That problem lies at the feet of the GM.

No team should ever be in the position where two pro bowl linemen retire without anybody behind them pushing for playing time.

The failure of this team doesn't lie with the current head coach. This head coach is actually bringing some really good talent from the draft and rookie FA pool. If it's a head coach that you want to blame, it has to be Vermeil. Some of you may not understand this, but if you are blaming Herm for his personnel decisions, it's only fair to blame Vermeil for his.

I personally blame Vermeil for the hole the Chiefs currently find themselves in, aside from Peterson. Peterson is the type of GM who listens to his head coach when it comes to building his teams. You can see this evident by how good the teams were when Marty was here. Marty had a major say in personnel decisions. So did Vermeil. Vermeil made moves all over the place to bring in Roaf, Holmes, etc.

But, by the same token, Vermeil had a total of 38 draft picks from his time here in Kansas City:

Player
    1-LB Derrick Johnson (still with the team)
    3 P Dustin Colquitt (still with the team)
    4 WR Craphonso Thorpe (cut) (cut from chiefs 2005)
    5 LB Boomer Grigsby (cut) (2007)
    5 CB Alphonso Hodge (cut) (2006)
    6 T Will Svitek (still with the team)
    6 DE Khari Long (cut) (2005)
    7 QB James Kilian (cut) (2006)
    7 T Jeremy Parquet (Steelers DEV) (2005)

Player
    2 DT Junior Siavii (cut) (2005)
    2 TE Kris Wilson (Carolina backup) (2007)
    3 LB Keyaron Fox (Pittsburgh backup) (2007)
    4 WR Samie Parker (cut) (2007)
    4 DE Jared Allen (Minnesota Starter) (Traded 2008)
    6 WR Jeris McIntyre (cut) (2005)
    7 T Kevin Sampson (cut) (2006)

Player
    1 RB Larry Johnson (still with the team starter)
    2 LB Kawika Mitchell (Buffalo starter) (2006)
    3 DB Julian Battle (cut) (2004)
    4 T Brett Williams (cut) (2004)
    5 T Jordan Black (cut) (2006)
    6 DE Jimmy Wilkerson (Tampa backup) (2007)
    7 DT Montique Sharpe (cut) (2005)
    7 S Willie Pile (cut) (2004)

Player
    1 DT Ryan Sims (Tampa backup) (traded 2006)
    2 DT Eddie Freeman (cut) (2004)
    4 RB Omar Easy (cut) (2004)
    5 LB Scott Fujita (New Orleans starter) (2004)
    7 LB Maurice Rodriguez (cut) (2002)

Player
    3 DT Eric Downing (cut) (2003)
    3 WR Marvin Minnis (cut) (2002)
    4 DE Monty Beisel (Arizona backup) (2004)
    4 RB George Layne (cut) (2002)
    5 TE Billy Baber (cut) (2003)
    5 RB Derrick Blaylock (cut) (2004)
    6 G Alex Sulfsted (cut) (2001)
    7 DB Shaunard Harts (cut) (2004)
    7 DT Terdell Sands (Oakland backup) (2001)

*(cut)-means they are no longer in the NFL
    *(2001-07) indicates the year they were cut by the Chiefs

We see that only four of those players are actually still with the team. A further look into Vermeil's talent assessment shows that not only did they not make or stay with the Chiefs' team, MOST of them are no longer still in the league. 24/38 draft picks allotted to Dick Vermeil and Chiefs when he was a head coach were used on players who are no longer in the NFL. Of the 14 who are still in the league, six of them are still starters and again, only four of them are still with the team.

If you go back and look at all those picks, very few of them lasted two years with the Chiefs. If you look at Herm Edward's first draft with the Chiefs in 2006, all but one of his seven draft picks are still with the team and six of them are starters or playing VERY prominent roles on the team. Compare that with Vermeil's first draft when all but three of his picks had been cut before his third year with the team.

Also, don't forget that while Vermeil was building his juggernaut of an offense, his defense was a complete joke and didn't stop the Colts even once in their one playoff game in the Vermeil era.

Imagine how much better this team would've been if the Chiefs could've had just one third of those 38 picks to still be on the team for the past few years.

While, yes, the Chiefs probably should have drafted some O-linemen instead of maybe Hali or Bowe or Pollard, etc... you have to again remember that this defense was dead last in the league and the offense was still at the very least, respectable when Herm was hired. His first priority was to fix the defense. Other than MLB or perhaps maybe one CB spot, the defense is just about completely rebuilt.

It always makes me laugh when i hear people say Herm doesn't care about offense when the guy has gone out and drafted more offensive players than defensive ones since he's been here. The count is 15/11. Look it up.

I know this is frustrating. But you can only do so much with young players. The fact that we don't have a QB to lead this team doesn't help matters either. Everyone is still freakin out about the O-line too. If you look at that left side and even the center, those guys are pretty stout. If you watch that side of the line, those guys are doing a hell of a job over there. I know it looks like guys are pouring thru the line, but that's because teams are blitzing and bringing more guys than we have to block them.

The reason it's so successful is because we have young QB's who don't know what to do with that kind of pressure coming down on them and then they make mistakes with the ball or the rookie RBs make mistakes in coverage. Teams don't blitz this much against experienced teams who know how to exploit the blitz. (see Petyon Manning)

These are all growing pains. These are things that have to be endured if we want to build a long term contender and not some flash in the pan, one year wonder like what Vermeil gave us.

Just take a breath and look to the future. The Chiefs, believe it or not, are on the right path. Just know that good things are coming. I think Herm Edwards knows how to recognize talent and is building this team the right way.

Like i said before, i lay the blame firmly on Carl Peterson's shoulders. It is his responsibility to grow this team despite what the head coach may want. A hit rate of 6 for 38 is not the mark of a successful GM. I think he should remain as V.P. of operations because he has grown football in KC over the last 20 years, but he should no longer be the GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I saw it. I saw it the first year. It is sad that Herm didn't see it then or even last year and start fixing it then. There is no reason he should get a free pass.
    REALLY? wow. Because from his first draft, we still have 6 of his seven picks with at least 5 of them either starting or or playing a significant role. Compare that to even Vermeil's first TWO drafts and see how that stacks up.

i know what you mean, and i know it sounds like i'm giving herm a free pass. i admit i'm more inclined to be critical of peterson, but come on, you talk as though herm inherited some sort of gift and then managed to piss it all away.

"Herm takes an offensive power house, and kills the entire team in three years and we point the blame at the coach who realized there was holes and fixed them while he was coach. Then give a pass to a coach who had no idea there was holes, until it painfully slapped him the face after being HC for two years."

do you seriously believe the offense that vermeil "built" (or do you mean bought?) was the same offense two years into herm's tenure here? and are you implying that herm had anything to do with it's complete disintegration? or do you believe that herm should have had a whole crop of players (re: o-lineman) somehow magically ready to step up that soon?

again, i don't really have that much hope that herm is going to make it any farther than carl peterson. i'm not going to be surprised if clark ditches peterson as soon as the season is over, but i also think he might give herm one more year to try unless new GM demands his own people. i'm just as disappointed in the chiefs as you guys are, but you guys need to wake up and send that rage to a place that it actually deserves to be.. i mean seriously, doesn't it piss you off to not easily remember a playoff victory? and my memory goes back a lot farther than herm's days here.
    Last edited by teamcool68; 09-15-2008 at 05:20 PM.

This statement is contradicting. In one sense you are giving Herm a free pass and blaming it all on CP, and then you turn around and then blame it all on DV because CP listens to his HC... HUH??????

Sorry but the offensive line is in shambles because Herm has done nothing to improve it other than signing crappy free agents hoping to get by, and drafting Albert.

Just as you blamed DV, Herm should have been drafting Lineman year one and two to fill those voids. Not two years later.

I am starting to seriously question a lot of Herm's picks. Starting with Tamba. Lets not even discuss Justin Medlock.
    No, please. Let's discuss the 5th round kicker from UCLA. The University that CP has strong ties to. If you think that was Herm's decision, you're mistaken.

But, I'd much rather our coach be wrong about a 5th round kicker than a defensive tackle taken #6 OVERALL in the FIRST ROUND!!! You really don't want to get into a conversation about comparing Vermeil's draft history against Edward's. You'll make yourself look ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    no, I'm blaming the coach who saw this team get really old and realized it was going to take a major overhaul like the one the Chiefs are going thru now, to get it back to respectability.

... WHY DO YOU THINK DICK LEFT?

How could you sit there and say this has nothing to do with Vermeil? The guy only gave us four guys who are still on this team from 38 picks. If we had more starters who could've stuck, like Jared Allen (a 4th round pick), this team would be a whole lot better.

I love this selective memory bud. You talk about how horrible the offense is now. Do you not remember what the defense looked like when Dick was here? That was pathetic.

If you went back and looked at what Vermeil did when he was here, he traded away good talent (Joe Horn) and draft picks left and right to bring in guys who only had four or five more years left in the tank. (Willie Roaf) If that's not poor personnel decision making, what is? That, along with 6/38 draft picks who are still starters, and you've got the mess that the Chiefs are in now.
    I agree that Vermiel left us a mess. But place the blame where it should really go - Carl Peterson.
    Peterson brought in the 62 year old Vermiel to win in 4 years or less. Everybody knew Vermiel was too old to last much longer than that.
    Vermiel and Peterson drafted and traded for short-term success, not for the future.
    You now see the results.
    SHUT IT

No, please. Let's discuss the 5th round kicker from UCLA. The University that CP has strong ties to. If you think that was Herm's decision, you're mistaken.

But, I'd much rather our coach be wrong about a 5th round kicker than a defensive tackle taken #6 OVERALL in the FIRST ROUND!!! You really don't want to get into a conversation about comparing Vermeil's draft history against Edward's. You'll make yourself look ridiculous.
    I am not talking about comparing Herm's draftees to DV's. I am talking about Herm's drafts not really panning out either.

If you are suggesting that Herm has not control over the draft, why is that DV did then. I refuse to believe that CP gave DV freedom to draft who he wanted and then hand cuffed Herm.

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure DV didn't draft LJ.

My point is Herm is just as much to blame for this decline as CP or DV. He does not get a free pass. This rebuilding should have took place two years ago.

REALLY? wow. Because from his first draft, we still have 6 of his seven picks with at least 5 of them either starting or or playing a significant role. Compare that to even Vermeil's first TWO drafts and see how that stacks up.
    Before you go spouting praises for the 6 of seven picks. Lets see how they pan out after about 4 years. Just because they are starters dosen't mean jack right about now, when they can't win a game.

Right now. I am not sold on Tamba, Croyle, or Webb.

We all understand that the Chiefs are in "rebuild" pattern and we will have no clue what we are going to be until at least 2 years from now.

We all can agree that the draft looked wonderful on paper, but we all know that papers do not win games.

We just need to look like we are moving in the right direction. Instead, we look like we are going to be rebuilding for the next 5 years.

so you just said the last two years of drafting didn't count for Herm because it wasn't obvious that the team was on decline.

Why don't people look at this for what it really is. You are blaming DV for taking a crappy team and Horrible OFFENSE and rebuilding it within a year to an offensive powerhouse that won a lot of games and was fun to watch.

Herm takes an offensive power house, and kills the entire team in three years and we point the blame at the coach who realized there was holes and fixed them while he was coach. Then give a pass to a coach who had no idea there was holes, until it painfully slapped him the face after being HC for two years.

People quit making excuses, open your eyes and see reality.
    I completly disagree with you Seek. Im with Texas all the way on this one Dick ruined this franchise big time.
    Last edited by Big Daddy Tek; 09-16-2008 at 12:46 AM.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Dick Vermeil completely ignored the defense, he didn't fix squat on that side of the ball. I can't give Herm a pass either, he could've drafted some linemen and other components before, but didn't.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    I completly disagree with you Seek. Im with Texas all the way on this one Dick ruined this franchise big time.
    Sorry, I just don't see how signing Big Mac, Donnie Edwards, Ty Law , Nap Harris, James Reed, Ron Edwards is DV's fault. At least a portion of the players DV bought for the offense stuck.

Okay aside from building Herm's team. Do you feel that Herm had his team prepared for Oakland? If that is the case, do you think Herm had his team prepared the first two weeks of his three years in KC?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast