Thread: Chiefs Defensive Linemen Rank Comparison to Vikings

Default Chiefs Defensive Linemen Rank Comparison to Vikings

As much as people want to pile on the Dlinemen about "not getting pressure on QBs or stopping the run," the Chiefs' defensive linemen are actually ranked higher statistically than the Vikings defensive linemen, which were considered to be the best defensive line in the league coming into the season. I would argue that the difference between the two defenses rests on the linebackers. Minnesota's linebackers have outperformed the Chiefs statistically.

I for one, think the Chiefs' D-line is growing into one of the best groups in the league and i can see them being huge contributers to deep runs in the playoffs in the years ahead.

CHIEFS
    DEFENSIVE LINE
    RK PLAYER POS Tot Solo Ast Sacks
    5 Tank Tyler DT 18 15 3 0.0
    12 Turk McBride DE 16 10 6 0.0
    21 Tamba Hali DE 14 9 5 0.0
    34 Glenn Dorsey DT 13 9 4 0.0
    TOTAL 61 53 18 0.0
    VIKINGS
    RK PLAYER POS Tot Solo Ast Sacks
    5 Kevin Williams DT 18 11 7 2.0
    12 Pat Williams DT 16 10 6 0.0
    53 Jared Allen DE 11 8 3 2.0
    81 Ray Edwards DE 9 6 3 0.0
    TOTAL 44 35 19 4.0

DIFFERENCE 17 16
    1 4.0

After week 4, the Chiefs defensive line has proven to be better than the Vikings. Like i said, i did this comparison because of the fact that we sent our best defensive lineman to the Vikings AND the fact that they were picked to be the best D-line in the league before the season started.

I felt this was necessary because there seems to be a rising concern about the defensive line and their capabilities this season and beyond. I think people need to take a step back and realize this line isn't nearly as bad as some people think it is.

I agree that our D-line is pretty good, but our linebackers have underperformed, and that kind of stalemates things.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

I am not a all impressed with our defensive line yet.

The Vikings' defensive line has been a major disappointment so far. It's pretty tough to be excited about a comparison to a major underachiever.

And comparing the number of tackles is hardly a decent judge of defensive line talent anyway.

A really good defensive line gets fewer tackles, because teams don't get to run as many offensive plays, and they choose not to run as much against them.

It's great to look at the bright side. But I don't really see it in this comparison.

I will say that I am enthusiastic about Dorsey. He is very tough for o-linemen to move, and gets a good inside push, most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I am not a all impressed with our defensive line yet.

The Vikings' defensive line has been a major disappointment so far. It's pretty tough to be excited about a comparison to a major underachiever.

And comparing the number of tackles is hardly a decent judge of defensive line talent anyway.

A really good defensive line gets fewer tackles, because teams don't get to run as many offensive plays, and they choose not to run as much against them.

It's great to look at the bright side. But I don't really see it in this comparison.

I will say that I am enthusiastic about Dorsey. He is very tough for o-linemen to move, and gets a good inside push, most of the time.
    Against the Falcons, they couldn't run the ball at all early on because they were running at Dorsey. Then they started going away from him and that's all she wrote. They went at the LBs, and as I said, besides the game against the Broncos, they've stunk.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

I for one am really excited about our D line. I never had any doubt except for getting to the QB... which could use work. and as far as our poor run D.... when teams rush for that many yards it is your entire Defense. No matter how good your line is they are not going to stop every run. At that point it is your linebackers and DBs out of position.

they need to get better push and stuff the run. They need to get flat-out mean.
    SHUT IT

Comparing the Chiefs D-line to the Vikes isn't really a pat on the back. I know the Vikings D-line was considered one of the best before the season started, but that whole team is struggling right now.

So comparing stats to a struggling team isn't really insipiring.

I can see Texas' point in comparing d-line of newly-added J. Allen Vikes with newly-added rookie Dorsey Chiefs. With the Williams' vikes supposedly had best d-line in nfl. And Chiefs, well, wait and see. But comparing two 1-3 teams is like comparing a glass of sour milk to an autopsy.
    SHUT IT