Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When is coaching going tobe held accountable?

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

Default When is coaching going tobe held accountable?

went to see jeff dunham last night and recorded the mizzo-neb game. the chiefs game was so bad i started watching that game at halftime. thats how bad i thought it got. Sooner or latter hermmie and his flunkies got to held accountable. yea, i know its the players but it starts at the top.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

It's not all the players fault. The coaching has been absolutely terrible. I mean, to not even score at all?

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

Coaching will be held accountable about the time Jonathan Rand publishes a scathing coaching review on the Chief's website.

Hey Texas Chief, how much more inconsistency do you have to see from Herm's teams. Let me guess we're young, these are growing pains that we must endure for years to come, but hey the guy can find talented players and has good drafts. GOOD JOB HERM!!!!!!!

....and I don't want to hear it was Huard's fault, there's plenty of blame to spread around....

Not Huards fault. The whole team had a meltdown. Mr. Power Rusher, Larry Johnson, racked up a whopping 2 yards on 7 attempts. This team, from Clark Hunt all the way down to the players, are in a meltdown like we've not ever seen before. Hunt should be lining up a new GM and head coach this week. Really, what do we have to lose this year by cutting all ties to the Carl and Herm show? Kepp the assistant coaches until the end of the season and jettison them too.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

"You Play to Win the Game"!

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

I wouldnt be totally against Herm as a GM as long as he stayed out of the coaching. He has proven he can draft but also proven he cant coach.
    Lane Kiffen is available and I have heard some talk of different teams trying to bring Cowher back. Hmmm other thoughts, Imagine how the fanbase would be rejuvinated if there was a third coaching search in 2 weeks.

Other then that this team is NOT nearly as bad as they looked.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    Hey Texas Chief, how much more inconsistency do you have to see from Herm's teams. Let me guess we're young, these are growing pains that we must endure for years to come, but hey the guy can find talented players and has good drafts. GOOD JOB HERM!!!!!!!

....and I don't want to hear it was Huard's fault, there's plenty of blame to spread around....
    You think we're inconsistent now? Just wait till we start firing and hiring new coaches every other year. How has that worked out for the Raiders, Rams, Lions, Dolphins, 49ers, Falcons etc?

Basically, by saying this is all Herm Edward's fault, you're saying that he is sending 52 guys, 22 starters out there on that field who don't know how to execute a simple game plan. If what you see on the field is a total lack of comprehension of any play, which is to say, you see most of the players executing different plays on any one single snap, then yeah, I'd say it was coaching.

But when the players just simply aren't executing what they've been coached to do, that's on the players. So, either the players just aren't talented, they're young and inexperienced, or they're stupid.

Constantly changing coaching staffs, offensive and defensive schemes and overall football philosophies isn't going to solve this problem. Each coach needs a couple seasons to bring in coaches and players that best "fit" their coaching styles and philosophies.

What I think, is that Edwards came into a really bad situation. 2003 and 2004 were the years that the Chiefs had their best chance to make a deep run. Vermeil knew his team couldn't compete for a title anymore, so he retired and left his mess for someone else to clean up. Edwards came in in 2006, made very few adjustments to the coaching staff and tried to go as deep as the team could go. Could you imagine the sh!# storm he would've had, had he come in and started changing things from the get go in 2006?

The fact that the Chiefs made the playoffs with that old team in 2006 made his situation even worse because Carl tied Edward's hands during the 2007 offseason because Carl thought the window was still open for that Chiefs team. It was ultimately fool's gold as Croyle couldn't take over the starting spot, the team got old, LJ got hurt, the line got hurt and sustained retirements and ended up 4-12.

This past offseason was the year that Carl and Herm sat down with ownership and decided to pursue this "rebuilding" path. Like i said in another thread, this is NOT the third year of a rebuilding plan. This is the FIRST year. They traded Allen and ultimately ended up with 12 draft picks and got rave reviews for their draft. Can you imagine what this team would look like if they were able to have two or even three drafts like the one they had this past spring?

That is why I ultimately lay the blame of this horrible team at the feet of Peterson (foremost) and Vermeil. If this team had drafted better during the Vermeil era, this team wouldn't have to rely on having four or five outstanding draft classes to get back to being competitive.

Do I think Herman Edwards is the best coach in the league? No. He has his faults and at times does seem lost. But like i said, i think he was set up for failure and it's going to take some rough years to climb out of this hole. I wish this franchise had some foresight and could've seen the retirements and old age of this franchise coming in 2006 and had traded guys like Larry Johnson while their stock was high to help this rebuild happen a little faster. But, Carl is a horrible GM and a great President of Operations. We need a new GM, not a new coach.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    went to see jeff dunham last night and recorded the mizzo-neb game. the chiefs game was so bad i started watching that game at halftime. thats how bad i thought it got. Sooner or latter hermmie and his flunkies got to held accountable. yea, i know its the players but it starts at the top.
    I agree with you there totally(by the way, who won the Mizzou game?)I started watching the chiefs game but when there wasn't anything to watch I decided to watch my netflix movie. Ever so often I stopped it so I could check in on the chiefs game but it was already 0-34 so I watched the rest of the movie(anything had to be better!).
    I remember way back when the chiefs had a fearsome defense; you knew they were going to win if they were really wracking up the penalties. Also... the chiefs used to always win at home, other teams hated it if they had to play at arrowhead.
    I think that the chiefs need some kind of motivation, motivation they aren't getting from Hermie. The chiefs' mascot is a motivational speaker - why don't they hire wolfie to motivate them?
    <a href=http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif target=_blank>http://i48.tinypic.com/2ihmnft.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    You think we're inconsistent now? Just wait till we start firing and hiring new coaches every other year. How has that worked out for the Raiders, Rams, Lions, Dolphins, 49ers, Falcons etc?

Basically, by saying this is all Herm Edward's fault, you're saying that he is sending 52 guys, 22 starters out there on that field who don't know how to execute a simple game plan. If what you see on the field is a total lack of comprehension of any play, which is to say, you see most of the players executing different plays on any one single snap, then yeah, I'd say it was coaching.

But when the players just simply aren't executing what they've been coached to do, that's on the players. So, either the players just aren't talented, they're young and inexperienced, or they're stupid.

Constantly changing coaching staffs, offensive and defensive schemes and overall football philosophies isn't going to solve this problem. Each coach needs a couple seasons to bring in coaches and players that best "fit" their coaching styles and philosophies.

What I think, is that Edwards came into a really bad situation. 2003 and 2004 were the years that the Chiefs had their best chance to make a deep run. Vermeil knew his team couldn't compete for a title anymore, so he retired and left his mess for someone else to clean up. Edwards came in in 2006, made very few adjustments to the coaching staff and tried to go as deep as the team could go. Could you imagine the sh!# storm he would've had, had he come in and started changing things from the get go in 2006?

The fact that the Chiefs made the playoffs with that old team in 2006 made his situation even worse because Carl tied Edward's hands during the 2007 offseason because Carl thought the window was still open for that Chiefs team. It was ultimately fool's gold as Croyle couldn't take over the starting spot, the team got old, LJ got hurt, the line got hurt and sustained retirements and ended up 4-12.

This past offseason was the year that Carl and Herm sat down with ownership and decided to pursue this "rebuilding" path. Like i said in another thread, this is NOT the third year of a rebuilding plan. This is the FIRST year. They traded Allen and ultimately ended up with 12 draft picks and got rave reviews for their draft. Can you imagine what this team would look like if they were able to have two or even three drafts like the one they had this past spring?

That is why I ultimately lay the blame of this horrible team at the feet of Peterson (foremost) and Vermeil. If this team had drafted better during the Vermeil era, this team wouldn't have to rely on having four or five outstanding draft classes to get back to being competitive.

Do I think Herman Edwards is the best coach in the league? No. He has his faults and at times does seem lost. But like i said, i think he was set up for failure and it's going to take some rough years to climb out of this hole. I wish this franchise had some foresight and could've seen the retirements and old age of this franchise coming in 2006 and had traded guys like Larry Johnson while their stock was high to help this rebuild happen a little faster. But, Carl is a horrible GM and a great President of Operations. We need a new GM, not a new coach.
    Nice speech. (Seriously.)

But when Vermiel retired, everyone knew that the rebuild was on. Maybe not a full-on rebuild, but it was quite evidently unerway.

The Jared Allen/Larry Johnson handling was a complete mess. I'll grant you that. But during neither of those first two drafts were they not in rebuild mode.

Vermiels drafts certainly weren't very good. He probably could have benefitted from having a good player-scout around. Herm Edwards would have been a good one.

But Herm Edwards needs a good head coach around.

Actually, I only have one major beef with Herm. You already know what that is. He doesn't even just fail at finding offense, as Vermiel failed at finding defense. He refuses to try and find offense.

But, that one major beef that I have with him tends to spill over into everything else about the guy.

I like Herms personality. I really do. But even that which I like about him, becomes irritating when he continues to gorge himself in neglect for the offense.

And it is that one major flaw, coupled with some other lesser flaws, that has me convinced that he should not be a head coach in The NFL.

You seem to believe that it is supposed to take 4-6 years to build an NFL team from scratch, yet Vermiel did it within three season, with each of the three teams that he took over. And Bill Cowher did it with The Steelers. How many times have we seen The Tuna right a wrecked ship in a couple of seasons?

Good coaches do that. Herm Edwards took a good Tuna-built team in NY, and created a big fat loser, and he is three years deep into this project, and has created competition for The Detroit Lions.

Every week that Herm stays here, is another week that we will have to wait for a good coach to get started on the program.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast