Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Tony Gonzalez Trade?

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Unhappy Tony Gonzalez Trade?


    0 Not allowed!
    Could TE Gonzalez play for another team?


    The topic came up Tuesday between an NFL Network reporter and a Chiefs official: Would Kansas City tight end Tony Gonzalez be willing to finish his career in another city, with another team, that had a realistic chance of winning the Super Bowl?
    Reporter thought yes, Chiefs official thought no.
    Then, the question was posed to Gonzalez on Wednesday and he set the record straight. While it might not be the ideal scenario, he could see himself going to Chiefs management and requesting a trade to a Super-Bowl contender.
    “Yeah. I definitely could, but I love being a Chief,” Gonzalez said Wednesday. “But if it was something where it was going to take three or four years or whatever before they get this thing right, I think it would be in their best interest to maybe see what they can get and send me off.
    “But I love being a Chief and I couldn’t imagine being anywhere else at this point. At the end of this season, hopefully I don’t have to ask that. Hopefully we get this thing turned around. I’ve got a family now. I came here when I just turned 21, so this is home. That’s where I’m at right now with that.”
    It makes sense. A rebuilding Chiefs team gets a first-day draft pick in return for a tight end that is only going to play another couple of seasons. Gonzalez knows what a delicate subject it is. He handled his answer just the right way.
    But know this: The losing has to be driving him mad. He hasn’t won a playoff game as a member of the Chiefs. Nor has linebacker Donnie Edwards, who could be another candidate Kansas City could consider trading. If Kansas City can get fair value for Gonzalez and/or Edwards, they are deals the Chiefs should think long and hard about.


    This sucks to read, but i guess you can't blame him.

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Drunken State
    Posts
    3,974
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 39

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs4life View Post
    Could TE Gonzalez play for another team?


    The topic came up Tuesday between an NFL Network reporter and a Chiefs official: Would Kansas City tight end Tony Gonzalez be willing to finish his career in another city, with another team, that had a realistic chance of winning the Super Bowl?
    Reporter thought yes, Chiefs official thought no.
    Then, the question was posed to Gonzalez on Wednesday and he set the record straight. While it might not be the ideal scenario, he could see himself going to Chiefs management and requesting a trade to a Super-Bowl contender.
    “Yeah. I definitely could, but I love being a Chief,” Gonzalez said Wednesday. “But if it was something where it was going to take three or four years or whatever before they get this thing right, I think it would be in their best interest to maybe see what they can get and send me off.
    “But I love being a Chief and I couldn’t imagine being anywhere else at this point. At the end of this season, hopefully I don’t have to ask that. Hopefully we get this thing turned around. I’ve got a family now. I came here when I just turned 21, so this is home. That’s where I’m at right now with that.”
    It makes sense. A rebuilding Chiefs team gets a first-day draft pick in return for a tight end that is only going to play another couple of seasons. Gonzalez knows what a delicate subject it is. He handled his answer just the right way.
    But know this: The losing has to be driving him mad. He hasn’t won a playoff game as a member of the Chiefs. Nor has linebacker Donnie Edwards, who could be another candidate Kansas City could consider trading. If Kansas City can get fair value for Gonzalez and/or Edwards, they are deals the Chiefs should think long and hard about.


    This sucks to read, but i guess you can't blame him.
    Losing drives everyone mad. Hell, everybody wants to play for a contender. Everybody wants to go to the superbowl. If TG wanted to take the easy way out, he could have asked to be traded last off season after the 4-12 debackle we all endured. But he didn't. TG is a class act. Think of how much more rewarding it would be for TG if he is still part of this team when we do get to the superbowl in the next 3 years.
    TG is a true Chiefs fan - sticking it through good times and bad. Unlike some fans I see on this forum.
    I would be surprised to see TG go anywhere in pursuit of his ring. He'll get it right here!!
    SHUT IT

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,444
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 13

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    tony gonzalez is a class act in my eyes and he does deserve a superbowl ring i do not want to see him leave and i highly dought he will

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Drunken State
    Posts
    3,974
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 39

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    tony gonzalez is a class act in my eyes and he does deserve a superbowl ring i do not want to see him leave and i highly dought he will
    Agreed. I don't see TG going to a 'pre-built' superbowl contender to get his ring. Clark Hunt will wake up, do whats right, and make sure he gets it right here.
    SHUT IT

  5. #5
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Gardner
    Posts
    2,834
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Losing drives everyone mad. Hell, everybody wants to play for a contender. Everybody wants to go to the superbowl. If TG wanted to take the easy way out, he could have asked to be traded last off season after the 4-12 debackle we all endured. But he didn't. TG is a class act. Think of how much more rewarding it would be for TG if he is still part of this team when we do get to the superbowl in the next 3 years.
    TG is a true Chiefs fan - sticking it through good times and bad. Unlike some fans I see on this forum.
    I would be surprised to see TG go anywhere in pursuit of his ring. He'll get it right here!!
    I agree! I think he also knows that as a hard working veteran on the team.... he needs to take the mentoring serious. He has a lot to teach these young guys that are no doubt a little ****y and a little star struck at this point.

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    2,780
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 2

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Tony has been saying that for the last couple years. He hasn't asked for a trade but always states that it the Chiefs can get him something, he wouldn't mind playing for a superbowl team. Notice he doesn't just say trade me to anyone. It has to be a superbowl team.

    TG will probably end up retiring after next season.

  7. #7
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,708
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 48

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Should've traded him before the last draft. EVERY TIME I mention trading a player on this board, i get blasted.

    We had LOOOOOONNGG discussions about TG's worth and why or why not he should go and i just got drilled repeatedly. Same thing happened in the spring on '07 when i suggested we trade LJ. I knew last season was going to be awful and that we should be trading away the pieces of our team with the most value. That should've started with LJ. It didn't.

    It happened again when i suggested that we trade J. Allen. I got raked over the coals on that suggestion as well.


    Here's the thing. Larry should've been gone before the 2007 draft and we could've picked up another 1st rounder at the very least. He had a small contract and was coming off a stellar year behind an aging line that was going to need to be replaced.

    BOTH Allen AND Gonzo should've been traded before the 2008 draft. TG wouldn't have brought back as much as Allen did, but at least we could've landed another 2nd round pick or something. Right now, I'm glad he's still on this team because WE SHOULD trade him now. He needs to be on a contender. We can resign him later and he can retire here, but he needs the best shot the Chiefs can give him to get a ring. Plus, the Chiefs need more picks in 2009. Preferably to package up to grab a QB.

    The Chiefs have Cottam. We'll be fine at TE. He needs to develop anyway.

    Yeah, TG is a great influence blah blah blah, but the Chiefs need picks and talent more than they need influence right now. We can sign some stellar FAs in 2009 or 2010 if this team ends up needing some role models. Right now, YOUNG TALENT needs to be the #1 issue on the minds of the Chiefs.

    Get what you can for LJ and TG and call it done.

  8. #8
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Drunken State
    Posts
    3,974
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 39

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Should've traded him before the last draft. EVERY TIME I mention trading a player on this board, i get blasted.

    We had LOOOOOONNGG discussions about TG's worth and why or why not he should go and i just got drilled repeatedly. Same thing happened in the spring on '07 when i suggested we trade LJ. I knew last season was going to be awful and that we should be trading away the pieces of our team with the most value. That should've started with LJ. It didn't.

    It happened again when i suggested that we trade J. Allen. I got raked over the coals on that suggestion as well.


    Here's the thing. Larry should've been gone before the 2007 draft and we could've picked up another 1st rounder at the very least. He had a small contract and was coming off a stellar year behind an aging line that was going to need to be replaced.

    BOTH Allen AND Gonzo should've been traded before the 2008 draft. TG wouldn't have brought back as much as Allen did, but at least we could've landed another 2nd round pick or something. Right now, I'm glad he's still on this team because WE SHOULD trade him now. He needs to be on a contender. We can resign him later and he can retire here, but he needs the best shot the Chiefs can give him to get a ring. Plus, the Chiefs need more picks in 2009. Preferably to package up to grab a QB.

    The Chiefs have Cottam. We'll be fine at TE. He needs to develop anyway.

    Yeah, TG is a great influence blah blah blah, but the Chiefs need picks and talent more than they need influence right now. We can sign some stellar FAs in 2009 or 2010 if this team ends up needing some role models. Right now, YOUNG TALENT needs to be the #1 issue on the minds of the Chiefs.

    Get what you can for LJ and TG and call it done.
    You can't buy character, loyalty, and class. Plus TG is a parennial pro-bowler. I'm glad he's here and hope he stays...
    SHUT IT

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13,949
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 27

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    At best, you would get a 2nd rd'er out of a trade for Tony. More likely scenario would be a 3rd or 4th rounder. So best case scenario, we would be hoping that a 2nd rounder panned out for us. With the track record of the Chiefs in the 2nd round, I don't like our chances.

    The potential value in this kind of deal would be packaging that 2nd rd'er with our 1st rd'er to move up to the top of the draft to get the QB that we want/need.


  10. #10
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,444
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 13

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    no matter what if he stays or goes he is a chief for life and i hope cottam is learning as much as he can from this world class athlete

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •