Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tony Gonzalez Trade?

Unhappy Tony Gonzalez Trade?

Could TE Gonzalez play for another team?

The topic came up Tuesday between an NFL Network reporter and a Chiefs official: Would Kansas City tight end Tony Gonzalez be willing to finish his career in another city, with another team, that had a realistic chance of winning the Super Bowl?
    Reporter thought yes, Chiefs official thought no.
    Then, the question was posed to Gonzalez on Wednesday and he set the record straight. While it might not be the ideal scenario, he could see himself going to Chiefs management and requesting a trade to a Super-Bowl contender.
    “Yeah. I definitely could, but I love being a Chief,” Gonzalez said Wednesday. “But if it was something where it was going to take three or four years or whatever before they get this thing right, I think it would be in their best interest to maybe see what they can get and send me off.
    “But I love being a Chief and I couldn’t imagine being anywhere else at this point. At the end of this season, hopefully I don’t have to ask that. Hopefully we get this thing turned around. I’ve got a family now. I came here when I just turned 21, so this is home. That’s where I’m at right now with that.”
    It makes sense. A rebuilding Chiefs team gets a first-day draft pick in return for a tight end that is only going to play another couple of seasons. Gonzalez knows what a delicate subject it is. He handled his answer just the right way.
    But know this: The losing has to be driving him mad. He hasn’t won a playoff game as a member of the Chiefs. Nor has linebacker Donnie Edwards, who could be another candidate Kansas City could consider trading. If Kansas City can get fair value for Gonzalez and/or Edwards, they are deals the Chiefs should think long and hard about.

This sucks to read, but i guess you can't blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by greg3564 View Post
    People in hell must be freezing right about now.
    It is starting to get cold!

I say trade him for sure if he brings a 1st rd pic or a 2 and a 3 or 4

I'll just keep bawling in the corner. I don't know what to say about all this.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

NO Trade for Tony!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Again, TG aint going anywhere.
    SHUT IT

I honestly dont know if any sort of draft pick is worth TG at this point. Now LJ is a different story. But TG is worth so much more than just on the field stats. He is an icon and a team leader that all these rookies can look up too through a hard time that we haven't seen the likes of since 1980. I may sound crazy... but for these kids to go out and get borderline embarrassed every week, to have someone like TG there to look up too and help keep a positive attitude is priceless.

It is easy to get on a forum and talk about how we know just the right moves to make to better this team. I definitely do not. But i do know that a player like him does not come around too often. If I am the coach... TG is more important than a draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by DMN View Post
    I may sound crazy... but for these kids to go out and get borderline embarrassed every week, to have someone like TG there to look up too and help keep a positive attitude is priceless.

But i do know that a player like him does not come around too often. If I am the coach... TG is more important than a draft pick.
    The team won't part ways with Tony without his permission. They learned that the hard way when they hosed Donnie Edwards and let him go to SD, another team leader who has off the field value as well as on the field.

But then again, Jared Allen had a way to fire up the defense and Carl played hard ball and drove him out of town.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

I dont like it, but I foresee (looking in my crystal ball) that Tony will be traded next year! The Chiefs will get either a 2nd and a 4th or a 3rd and a 5th. Which both I think is very low for him. I would like atleast a 2nd and 3rd if not a 1st and 4th. We are talking about a future hall of famer!

just found this on espn's web page....

From the inbox

Q: The Chiefs are a good two years from being a playoff team, in my opinion, and by that time Tony Gonzalez will be about finished. My question is: What would his trade value be at the trade deadline this year? This team has a lot of growing pains, and even though that leaves Brodie Croyle thin at options, we have to look at ways to gain additional draft picks next year, and he seems to be all we have left with value. I would think teams like the Titans, Bucs, Giants, Vikings, etc. who are close would be willing to make this kind of move. It would be great for Tony to have a chance at the show, and great for us to grab some future picks.

John in Huntington Beach, Calif.

A:
    I wouldn't trade Gonzalez, because somebody has to catch passes for Brodie Croyle or whoever might eventually come in as the quarterback of the future. The Chiefs don't have enough pass-catchers now. Dwayne Bowe turned out to be the best of the rookie receivers last year. Devard Darling hasn't shown me enough yet to say he is a solid starter. The Chiefs are trying to build a team, not totally dismantle it. A good draft next year could get the team ready for a playoff run either in 2009 or, better yet, 2010. Gonzalez probably has three or four good years ahead of him. Getting draft choices is one thing, but building a team is another. To me, he's untouchable. As for his trade value, it might be the No. 2 and No. 5 the Saints gave up for Jeremy Shockey.

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

Quote Originally Posted by garciakcfan View Post
    just found this on espn's web page....

From the inbox

Q: The Chiefs are a good two years from being a playoff team, in my opinion, and by that time Tony Gonzalez will be about finished. My question is: What would his trade value be at the trade deadline this year? This team has a lot of growing pains, and even though that leaves Brodie Croyle thin at options, we have to look at ways to gain additional draft picks next year, and he seems to be all we have left with value. I would think teams like the Titans, Bucs, Giants, Vikings, etc. who are close would be willing to make this kind of move. It would be great for Tony to have a chance at the show, and great for us to grab some future picks.

John in Huntington Beach, Calif.

A: I wouldn't trade Gonzalez, because somebody has to catch passes for Brodie Croyle or whoever might eventually come in as the quarterback of the future. The Chiefs don't have enough pass-catchers now. Dwayne Bowe turned out to be the best of the rookie receivers last year. Devard Darling hasn't shown me enough yet to say he is a solid starter. The Chiefs are trying to build a team, not totally dismantle it. A good draft next year could get the team ready for a playoff run either in 2009 or, better yet, 2010. Gonzalez probably has three or four good years ahead of him. Getting draft choices is one thing, but building a team is another. To me, he's untouchable. As for his trade value, it might be the No. 2 and No. 5 the Saints gave up for Jeremy Shockey.
    I agree we shouldnt trade him, I was just saying if he asked for 1. I disagree that he is just worth what they gave for Shockey! Shockey can be a cancer in the clubhouse and is injury prone. Shockey hasnt proven anything except that hes athletic and has the "new" TE build.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast