Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tony Gonzalez Trade?

Unhappy Tony Gonzalez Trade?

Could TE Gonzalez play for another team?

The topic came up Tuesday between an NFL Network reporter and a Chiefs official: Would Kansas City tight end Tony Gonzalez be willing to finish his career in another city, with another team, that had a realistic chance of winning the Super Bowl?
    Reporter thought yes, Chiefs official thought no.
    Then, the question was posed to Gonzalez on Wednesday and he set the record straight. While it might not be the ideal scenario, he could see himself going to Chiefs management and requesting a trade to a Super-Bowl contender.
    “Yeah. I definitely could, but I love being a Chief,” Gonzalez said Wednesday. “But if it was something where it was going to take three or four years or whatever before they get this thing right, I think it would be in their best interest to maybe see what they can get and send me off.
    “But I love being a Chief and I couldn’t imagine being anywhere else at this point. At the end of this season, hopefully I don’t have to ask that. Hopefully we get this thing turned around. I’ve got a family now. I came here when I just turned 21, so this is home. That’s where I’m at right now with that.”
    It makes sense. A rebuilding Chiefs team gets a first-day draft pick in return for a tight end that is only going to play another couple of seasons. Gonzalez knows what a delicate subject it is. He handled his answer just the right way.
    But know this: The losing has to be driving him mad. He hasn’t won a playoff game as a member of the Chiefs. Nor has linebacker Donnie Edwards, who could be another candidate Kansas City could consider trading. If Kansas City can get fair value for Gonzalez and/or Edwards, they are deals the Chiefs should think long and hard about.

This sucks to read, but i guess you can't blame him.

nothing to do with any Trade rumors, but the radio folk said TG was so upset after yesterdays game that he showered and left immediately after the game and refused to talk to reporters.

They are speculating that he is upset because he wanted to break Shannon Sharpe's record at home against Denver, and all he needed was one more catch.

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

I can understand that. Even though I was just waking up and getting ready for work. I had the TV turned up and yelling at Herm from 2 rooms away! So I can understand that. Especially after hearing Sharpe basically calling out Gonzales during highlights when saying "I dont think you broke my record yet"! Most records are broke and I think Sharpe showed a little less than class in saying that.

I just hope he retires as a chief.
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

I did think it would have been a nice move to throw him one more pass against the Donks, Now he will end up breaking the record against the Panthers in Carolina. Really thought it would be nice for him to break it at home while the Chiefs were breaking off a piece of the former record holders team. But overall Tony had to feel good about the way the entire team played. If they showed up like that every week they could still make the playoffs this year, that was a great team effort. Absolutely something to build on. I also heard the announcers talking about how Tony is still somewhat young, and has several more years left in him, although I am not quite sure about that I guess it is possible if the Chiefs get back to being a widely respected team and Tony starts enjoying playing again.

Waxahachie, TX via Broken Arrow, OK via McLouth, KS

TBH, I think he will retire a Chief and got to the HOF as a Chief. Also, honestly, I dont care where he breaks the records. Yeah it woulda been nice to be at Arrowhead against the Donks, but the main thing is he will break it! And I want him to set the records so high that it will be sometime before someone less than worthy like Gates to come close to the records!

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    I did think it would have been a nice move to throw him one more pass against the Donks, Now he will end up breaking the record against the Panthers in Carolina. Really thought it would be nice for him to break it at home while the Chiefs were breaking off a piece of the former record holders team. But overall Tony had to feel good about the way the entire team played. If they showed up like that every week they could still make the playoffs this year, that was a great team effort. Absolutely something to build on. I also heard the announcers talking about how Tony is still somewhat young, and has several more years left in him, although I am not quite sure about that I guess it is possible if the Chiefs get back to being a widely respected team and Tony starts enjoying playing again.
    Nah, Tony has enough money. He has a family now. I think he is ready to retire while he is physically still on top of his game.

it would be their biggest mistake ever if they trade gonzales..trading jared allen i think was stupid too..he wasnt old..had a great last season..didnt understand that..we need gonzales..he's the ONLY one to rely on to catch passes in the clutch..

Quote Originally Posted by zro2gon View Post
    it would be their biggest mistake ever if they trade gonzales..trading jared allen i think was stupid too..he wasnt old..had a great last season..didnt understand that..we need gonzales..he's the ONLY one to rely on to catch passes in the clutch..
    i agree with you...it would hurt my heart to see TG leave

Quote Originally Posted by zro2gon View Post
    You didn't understand it? REALLY?

Jared Allen was a whiney 4 year old who didn't want to take responsibility for his actions. He was too high a risk to give a huge contract. He was one indiscretion away from being suspended for a whole year. The Chiefs needed more draft picks to rebuild their O-line and to try to keep rebuilding the defense. Allen DID NOT want to be here. He was offered a contract and turned it down because he thought that he shouldn't be held responsible for his DUI's.

Trading one legit NFL starter to bring back 3 legit NFL starters is a move that should have been made for a team that is rebuilding. Also, Allen was coming off a career year. Chances of him having another year with a sack total that high isn't something you can count on year in and year out.

Last year, he was arguably on a worse D-line than he is this season. Last season, after a two game suspension, he had five sacks after week 4. So, in two games, he had 5 sacks. This season, with a "much better line" around him, he's ranked tied for 27th-66th in sacks with 2.0 and only has 8 solo tackles. Also, it's not like he's creating more opportunities for his teammates because only DT Kevin Williams is ranked in the top 100 in sacks, tied with Allen at 2.0.

If you compared that to the Chiefs, Boone has 1.5 sacks. So, basically, we've only lost half a sack by trading Allen, but gained Branden Albert (1st rd), Jamaal Charles (3rd rd) DaJuan Morgan (3rd rd).

I know for a fact that Albert and Charles will be key contributers to this team as it goes forward. Albert will be a franchise cornerstone on the O-line for the next decade.

If you would've told me that we could trade Allen for a franchise LT, I would've done the deal straight up. But, we got Charles and Morgan on top of the franchise LT. This particular trade was a great deal for the Chiefs and Allen is proving (so far this year) that the Chiefs sold high on him and the drop off isn't at precipitous as everyone thought it might have been.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    You didn't understand it? REALLY?

Jared Allen was a whiney 4 year old who didn't want to take responsibility for his actions. He was too high a risk to give a huge contract. He was one indiscretion away from being suspended for a whole year. The Chiefs needed more draft picks to rebuild their O-line and to try to keep rebuilding the defense. Allen DID NOT want to be here. He was offered a contract and turned it down because he thought that he shouldn't be held responsible for his DUI's.

Trading one legit NFL starter to bring back 3 legit NFL starters is a move that should have been made for a team that is rebuilding. Also, Allen was coming off a career year. Chances of him having another year with a sack total that high isn't something you can count on year in and year out.

Last year, he was arguably on a worse D-line than he is this season. Last season, after a two game suspension, he had five sacks after week 4. So, in two games, he had 5 sacks. This season, with a "much better line" around him, he's ranked tied for 27th-66th in sacks with 2.0 and only has 8 solo tackles. Also, it's not like he's creating more opportunities for his teammates because only DT Kevin Williams is ranked in the top 100 in sacks, tied with Allen at 2.0.

If you compared that to the Chiefs, Boone has 1.5 sacks. So, basically, we've only lost half a sack by trading Allen, but gained Branden Albert (1st rd), Jamaal Charles (3rd rd) DaJuan Morgan (3rd rd).

I know for a fact that Albert and Charles will be key contributers to this team as it goes forward. Albert will be a franchise cornerstone on the O-line for the next decade.

If you would've told me that we could trade Allen for a franchise LT, I would've done the deal straight up. But, we got Charles and Morgan on top of the franchise LT. This particular trade was a great deal for the Chiefs and Allen is proving (so far this year) that the Chiefs sold high on him and the drop off isn't at precipitous as everyone thought it might have been.
    Maybe some rookies go on to stardom and some won't. I can't see into the future. But I think the LJ debacle factored into the contract negotiations with Allen. The Chiefs obviously feel they got the raw end of the LJ contract. In all respect to Allen, he deserved to have a good contract. He's been a solid player. He also has intangible benefits to the defense. That defense would get fired up when Allen started sacking left and right. He was a leader on that team who demanded respect for his on the field play. Yes, he had a couple problems off the field. Will he learn from those and mature? Most likely, but again, I can't see the future. But it is what it is.

The Charles pick is very intriguing. I feel that sent a clear message to LJ that his services with the Chiefs will be coming to an abrupt end at the conclusion of this season. They'll let LJ rack up some great numbers to improve their trading prospects. They would have dumped him this off season, but the injury question prevented that.

Jamaal Charles. University of Texas.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast