Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Carl Vs. L.j. Is Next Battle Royale

Default Carl Vs. L.j. Is Next Battle Royale

I have to admit had me laughing on this one.

CARL VS. L.J. IS NEXT BATTLE ROYALE
    With Jared Allen eating sushi and promising to lead a wil’-out-free social life, and Trent Green packing his footballs and heading to a South Florida home, there’s only one compelling story line left in the latest episode of “The Last King of Mediocrity.”

Carl Peterson vs. Larry Johnson.

Yes, the main event: King Carl vs. L.J. for all the money in Clark Hunt’s piggybank. This should be far better than De la Hoya-Mayweather, and if the executives running HBO were smart, they’d do a 24/7 documentary on this historic battle rather than taping Kansas City’s training camp.

This is a showdown that has been brewing ever since King Carl hoodwinked Johnson and his agent into signing that ridiculous, Master P-approved rookie contract. This thing should get UFC bloody and ugly.

Before the end of training camp, I fully expect Peterson’s pit bull/mouthpiece Bob Gretz and Johnson’s pit bull/mouthpiece Rhonda Moss to square off in a dogfight that will have Michael “Ron Cujo” Vick flush with envy.

Seriously, I’m so glad Trent Green is finally gone. Bickering over the value and treatment of a filthy-rich, 37-year-old quarterback was a bit boring for my taste, especially when you know Peterson could just as easily botch a fourth-round pick as a sixth.

The Green-Peterson scrap sounded like a Leawood father and son arguing over whether the kid deserves the fully loaded SUV or the sport package. Peterson-Johnson has the promise of getting as rowdy as me and my brother coming to blows over the last pork chop at a Labor Day barbecue.

Right now, my money is on The Last King of Mediocrity.

He’s been in the gym training for this bout ever since Priest Holmes bamboozled the Chiefs out of a final payday and quickly retired to a life of nachos, yearly, inconclusive MRI scans on his spine and baby’s mama drama.

King Carl vowed never again. Only Tony Gonzalez and Tom Condon are allowed to fleece the Hunt’s bank account under Peterson’s watch. Peterson would rather name Ethan Locke head coach and put Jack Harry in charge of ticket prices than reward Larry Johnson with LaDainian Tomlinson-type money.

And, in many respects, Peterson is holding all of the leverage. Peterson gleefully watched as his new head coach, Herm Edwards, overworked Johnson all last season, giving him an NFL record number of carries. Edwards used Johnson in a way that indicated the Chiefs don’t have long-term plans for Johnson.

Peterson could refuse to offer Johnson a fair contract extension, run L.J. into the ground again this season, slap the franchise tag on him for the 2008 season and discard Johnson in 2009.

That would be the cold-blooded business move. Based on the way Johnson has conducted himself in his years as a Chief, I’m not sure many fans would be sympathetic toward Johnson. He has never pretended to be much of a team guy, so few people will care if the Chiefs treat Johnson in a selfish manner.

Johnson’s leverage is a 2007 holdout. He’s on the books to earn about $1.7 million this year. If he sits out and sacrifices the money, the Chiefs could be the 2006 Oakland Raiders. Those Raiders, despite a very good defense, finished 2-14 and scored just 168 points. They were darn near impossible to watch.

The Chiefs could be that bad. Without Johnson, I honestly don’t know how the Chiefs score a point. By midseason, Arrowhead Stadium would be half empty on game day. By the end of the season, you’d swear the Royals were playing football.

And L.J.’s absence would certainly hamper the development of Brodie Croyle.

The problem for Johnson is that The Last King of Mediocrity could survive a 2-14 season. With Green in Miami and the Chiefs breaking in a new quarterback, Peterson could use 2-14 as a true rebuilding year, and Chiefs fans would be excited about having the No. 1 pick (although the enthusiasm would be tempered by the knowledge that Peterson would draft Todd Blackledge).

Again, Peterson is bunkered in and ready for a losing season. Johnson is not prepared to sacrifice $1.7 million. That’s money he’ll never get back. Plus, he’ll be a year older and still looking for a new contract.

Peterson is a heavy favorite in this fight, but we’ve seen him blow 13-3 regular seasons and home-field advantage, so anything is a possibility.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 06-26-2007 at 05:44 PM.

Out here we call him Jake the FAKE!!:rocketwhore: :rocketwhore:

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    Out here we call him Jake the FAKE!!:rocketwhore: :rocketwhore:
    I lived in Tempe when Jake was at ASU. He walked on water back then.

Wink

I can't remember any WR's that we have had that have been above average! Can anybody?
    Stephon Page...
    You can only have one favorite team. There are no "second favorites".
    -- Chris, resident of Arrowhead East (St. Louis)

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

you didnt need true #1 WR under dickies offense. they made defenses guess every play. under hermmie its easy,run,run,pass,punt. but LJ still isnt worth the money he wants.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    you didnt need true #1 WR under dickies offense. they made defenses guess every play. under hermmie its easy,run,run,pass,punt. but LJ still isnt worth the money he wants.
    Is anyone worth the money they want? A couple of draft picks sure aren't going to be compensation!! Just like in all other sports, it's hard to trade certain players because there isn't many ways a team could be compensated for the player. Having said that, I understand the whole rebuilding phase we are in but to trade a top 5 player in the league would be assinine!

As far as a #1 recievers goes, howd we do with Martyball??? Always the bridesmaid!!! Never the bride! No balance equals no superbowls!! Look at the teams that have won the last 10 years or so. They all have a balanced offense! I bet that in the last 10 superbowls, 16 or 17 out of the 20 teams have thrown the ball to at least 6 or 7 different people. The Chiefs haven't thrown to 6 or 7 people since superbowl 1!! It's easy to take away the one thing a team does good so they have to resort to trying things they are not as good at. Hence, thats why the good teams are not one dimensional like the Chiefs! I might add that Hermie doesn't help this problem!

[quote=DrunkHillbilly;9837]UHHHHH, that's why their called "recievers" and not "Tight Ends"! I can't believe you don't see this!! Eddie Kennison???? Listen to the people on TV talk about the lack of recievers we have. Listen to fans of other teams talk about us having no deep threat. You talk about Gonzo, he would be even MORE valuable if we had someone who could go deep! What part of 8 in the box every play don't you get? That's why LJ is forced to run outside, which is not his fortay! How bout a slot reciever to occupy a linebacker? Most football website list the WR position as the #1 need for the Chiefs followed by O line. Look it up![/quote]

A) Yes, Eddie Kennison. The guy is entirely underrated. Just because Gonzales has better stats, doesn't mean that he isn't a terrific reciever. He runs excellent routes, catches the balls that he should and catches the balls that one could understand, if he didn't. The fact that he wasn't a number one reciever, for other teams, has no bearing on what he has done, with the Chiefs.

B) The opinions of "people on T.V." and "fans of other teams" make no difference. Until last year, the Chiefs and their "recieverless" offense, have been the most efficient offense, in the NFL.

C) The part that I "don't get" is that, having watched every Chiefs game, repeatedly, slow-mo, back-it-up, is that the "eight in the box" scenario didn't happen all that often. Until the playoff game.

D) L.J. has to run it, outside, because that is how football is played. You can not run the same play, over and over, becuse it is predictable. I don't care what L.J.s "fortay" is. If he were to put forth the same kind of effort, then he would become versatile. And, in the NFL, a runningback needs to be versatile. You think teams were "loading the box" last season? Just wait until this season. L.J. likes to run, between the tackles. With a year of having done so, the rest of the league now knows what he likes, and will be stuffing the middle, like never before. He had better learn some new tricks, or you will be spending alot of your time, making excuses for his Cadillac-like numbers.

E) "Most football websites....." Don't care.

[quote=DrunkHillbilly;9840]Year after year goes by and free agent WR's go by. Peterson doesn't want to pay! There were several free agents out there in the last few years I wish we would have taken a stab at. I was watching inside the NFL last season and all 4 of the hosts were almost laughing at the fact that we didn't have anyone to throw the ball to deep![/quote]

"Year, after year goes by and...." and the Chiefs have been the number one offense, in the NFL. That has changed, now, since the offensive line has deteriorated.

"I was watching inside the NFL....." I have always found it to be ridiculous how critics have ripped the best offense, in the league, for not having anyone, to throw to. Watch the game, form your own opinions, not those of other people, that you think know what they are talking about.

Anyway, I hope you don't take any offense. I just love a good argument.

Is anyone worth the money they want? A couple of draft picks sure aren't going to be compensation!! Just like in all other sports, it's hard to trade certain players because there isn't many ways a team could be compensated for the player. Having said that, I understand the whole rebuilding phase we are in but to trade a top 5 player in the league would be assinine!

As far as a #1 recievers goes, howd we do with Martyball??? Always the bridesmaid!!! Never the bride! No balance equals no superbowls!! Look at the teams that have won the last 10 years or so. They all have a balanced offense! I bet that in the last 10 superbowls, 16 or 17 out of the 20 teams have thrown the ball to at least 6 or 7 different people. The Chiefs haven't thrown to 6 or 7 people since superbowl 1!! It's easy to take away the one thing a team does good so they have to resort to trying things they are not as good at. Hence, thats why the good teams are not one dimensional like the Chiefs! I might add that Hermie doesn't help this problem!

I think you and I are alot closer to agreeing, than it may appear. In fact, I think the whole lot of us are.

"The Chiefs haven't thrown...." Are you kidding? Last season aside, the Chiefs were the "poster child" for spreading the ball around, in the passing game. That is exactly why Kennison didn't have "No.1 reciever" numbers. With Green throwing for 4000 yards, every year, who was catching the passes? Eveyone knows about Tony Gonzales. Eddie Kennison had good numbers, each year. Jonnie Morton, soon to be replaced with Sammie Parker, had good stats. Dante Hall was always a threat. Then you had Priest and T-Rich. Chiefs fans know that both of those guys were a threat, to catch the ball, out of the backfield. I'd even submit Jason Dunns name.

The obvious problem, until last season, was the defensive "implosions". Now, with Herm and Gunny rejuevenating the "D", the offense is the problem.

The offense went from the number one unit, in the league, to the fifteenth ranked offense. It seems obvious, to me, that the departures of Roaf and T-Rich, were the biggest contributors, to that decline.

This year, instead of attempting to bring in talented young prospects, to address those losses, we have lost Will Shields and brought in a Dolphins left tackle. Yet another loss, for the offensive line, as a unit.

Balance, within the passing game, isn't what has been missing. It's been balance, within the team. To compliment a good defense, you need a good offense. To compliment a good offense, you need a good defense.

[quote=chief31;9857][quote=DrunkHillbilly;9837]UHHHHH, that's why their called "recievers" and not "Tight Ends"! I can't believe you don't see this!! Eddie Kennison???? Listen to the people on TV talk about the lack of recievers we have. Listen to fans of other teams talk about us having no deep threat. You talk about Gonzo, he would be even MORE valuable if we had someone who could go deep! What part of 8 in the box every play don't you get? That's why LJ is forced to run outside, which is not his fortay! How bout a slot reciever to occupy a linebacker? Most football website list the WR position as the #1 need for the Chiefs followed by O line. Look it up![/quote]

A) Yes, Eddie Kennison. The guy is entirely underrated. Just because Gonzales has better stats, doesn't mean that he isn't a terrific reciever. He runs excellent routes, catches the balls that he should and catches the balls that one could understand, if he didn't. The fact that he wasn't a number one reciever, for other teams, has no bearing on what he has done, with the Chiefs.

B) The opinions of "people on T.V." and "fans of other teams" make no difference. Until last year, the Chiefs and their "recieverless" offense, have been the most efficient offense, in the NFL.

C) The part that I "don't get" is that, having watched every Chiefs game, repeatedly, slow-mo, back-it-up, is that the "eight in the box" scenario didn't happen all that often. Until the playoff game.

D) L.J. has to run it, outside, because that is how football is played. You can not run the same play, over and over, becuse it is predictable. I don't care what L.J.s "fortay" is. If he were to put forth the same kind of effort, then he would become versatile. And, in the NFL, a runningback needs to be versatile. You think teams were "loading the box" last season? Just wait until this season. L.J. likes to run, between the tackles. With a year of having done so, the rest of the league now knows what he likes, and will be stuffing the middle, like never before. He had better learn some new tricks, or you will be spending alot of your time, making excuses for his Cadillac-like numbers.

E) "Most football websites....." Don't care.

Year after year goes by and free agent WR's go by. Peterson doesn't want to pay! There were several free agents out there in the last few years I wish we would have taken a stab at. I was watching inside the NFL last season and all 4 of the hosts were almost laughing at the fact that we didn't have anyone to throw the ball to deep![/quote]

"Year, after year goes by and...." and the Chiefs have been the number one offense, in the NFL. That has changed, now, since the offensive line has deteriorated.

"I was watching inside the NFL....." I have always found it to be ridiculous how critics have ripped the best offense, in the league, for not having anyone, to throw to. Watch the game, form your own opinions, not those of other people, that you think know what they are talking about.

Anyway, I hope you don't take any offense. I just love a good argument.
    WOW!!! Where to start??

A) I am not insinuating that Kennison is not a SALVAGABLE reciever. He has done well for the Chiefs. But he needs a little help!! He is not the horse that most PLAYOFF WINNING teams have. And he's 420 years old!! I never stated that TG was a terrific reciever. But, he's the best we got!!

B)You need to quit worrying about "the most efficient team in football"!!!!!
    I'll give you a prime example....The Phoenix Suns. They have been the highest scoring , best 3 point shooting, best FG percentage shooting, best free throw shooting, ect..... top 2 or 3 in ALL offensive statistics in basketball. Absolutley great for the regular season!!!! Where has it gotten them??? Same place as the Chiefs!!!

C)The eight in the box thing. I mentioned in one of my prior posts that in the later stages of the season is when teams really start stacking the box. It has been Kennison out on an island with a shut down CB that can out run him everyday of the week and twice on Sunday and TG trying to help the O line block the blitz! Leaving no room for which ever RB is in to function.

D) I don't even know where to start!
    Running outside and inside. Do you think all running backs change the way they play from year to year? Don't think so!! They play the way they have played their entire careers!
    Cadillac numbers huh? How much money you got??? Mark my words..He will have more attempts, yds, recving yds, and td's than Cadillac!!!

E) Websites... There is a reason you and I don't have their jobs! They do this for a living! There is the occassional tool that doesn't get it but when they all say the same thing...I think there is something to it!

F) Inside NFL....When you have 3 out of the 4 guys that have played in the NFL and 2 of those 3 are Hall of Famers, I think they know a little about the game!

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I think you and I are alot closer to agreeing, than it may appear. In fact, I think the whole lot of us are.

"The Chiefs haven't thrown...." Are you kidding? Last season aside, the Chiefs were the "poster child" for spreading the ball around, in the passing game. That is exactly why Kennison didn't have "No.1 reciever" numbers. With Green throwing for 4000 yards, every year, who was catching the passes? Eveyone knows about Tony Gonzales. Eddie Kennison had good numbers, each year. Jonnie Morton, soon to be replaced with Sammie Parker, had good stats. Dante Hall was always a threat. Then you had Priest and T-Rich. Chiefs fans know that both of those guys were a threat, to catch the ball, out of the backfield. I'd even submit Jason Dunns name.

The obvious problem, until last season, was the defensive "implosions". Now, with Herm and Gunny rejuevenating the "D", the offense is the problem.

The offense went from the number one unit, in the league, to the fifteenth ranked offense. It seems obvious, to me, that the departures of Roaf and T-Rich, were the biggest contributors, to that decline.

This year, instead of attempting to bring in talented young prospects, to address those losses, we have lost Will Shields and brought in a Dolphins left tackle. Yet another loss, for the offensive line, as a unit.

Balance, within the passing game, isn't what has been missing. It's been balance, within the team. To compliment a good defense, you need a good offense. To compliment a good offense, you need a good defense.
    When it comes to balance, everyone knows you have to have offense and defense!!!!

However, balance within the OFFENSE is far more important! How many times have you heard those guys on tv (that for some reason you don't think know what they are talking about, most being ex NFL players) talk about you have to be able to run the football to win in the NFL? Well, to run the ball you have to be able to pass the ball and even though Green had good numbers with 4000 yds (only 3 out of 9 or 10 years in the league) most of those yds were possession yds! Not much down the field to make the defense fear the long ball. We've never had any recievers with speed. If you don't want to listen to the guys on tv, look at the teams that have been winning the last 10 years or so, all balanced with RB's and Rcvrs.! Kennison and Sammy Knight and Dante Hall once in a while didn't, never has, and will never cut it! Maybe this Bowe kid can step it up!!

I think it's time to take off the rose colored glasses and see what everyone in the NFL has been seeing for the last several years!

One other thing, it's damn near impossible to trade a top 2 or 3 running back in the league and a top 10 player. Who is still young I might add. You just can't get value out of the deal. How do you give up that much talent and get a few draft picks and an avg. RB to replace him?

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

if you have holes to fill,like the chiefs,then it is easy to give up that much talent for acouple or more high draft picks. and the money he`s asking for makes it even easier. like said before 1,000 yard RB is all you need in this retirement home offense. LJ back up`s might, i say might, beable to do that. hermmies offense dosent scare anyone like dickies did. trade LJ if possible, fill holes, remember we`re "retooling"
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast