Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Carl Vs. L.j. Is Next Battle Royale

Default Carl Vs. L.j. Is Next Battle Royale

I have to admit had me laughing on this one.

CARL VS. L.J. IS NEXT BATTLE ROYALE
    With Jared Allen eating sushi and promising to lead a wil’-out-free social life, and Trent Green packing his footballs and heading to a South Florida home, there’s only one compelling story line left in the latest episode of “The Last King of Mediocrity.”

Carl Peterson vs. Larry Johnson.

Yes, the main event: King Carl vs. L.J. for all the money in Clark Hunt’s piggybank. This should be far better than De la Hoya-Mayweather, and if the executives running HBO were smart, they’d do a 24/7 documentary on this historic battle rather than taping Kansas City’s training camp.

This is a showdown that has been brewing ever since King Carl hoodwinked Johnson and his agent into signing that ridiculous, Master P-approved rookie contract. This thing should get UFC bloody and ugly.

Before the end of training camp, I fully expect Peterson’s pit bull/mouthpiece Bob Gretz and Johnson’s pit bull/mouthpiece Rhonda Moss to square off in a dogfight that will have Michael “Ron Cujo” Vick flush with envy.

Seriously, I’m so glad Trent Green is finally gone. Bickering over the value and treatment of a filthy-rich, 37-year-old quarterback was a bit boring for my taste, especially when you know Peterson could just as easily botch a fourth-round pick as a sixth.

The Green-Peterson scrap sounded like a Leawood father and son arguing over whether the kid deserves the fully loaded SUV or the sport package. Peterson-Johnson has the promise of getting as rowdy as me and my brother coming to blows over the last pork chop at a Labor Day barbecue.

Right now, my money is on The Last King of Mediocrity.

He’s been in the gym training for this bout ever since Priest Holmes bamboozled the Chiefs out of a final payday and quickly retired to a life of nachos, yearly, inconclusive MRI scans on his spine and baby’s mama drama.

King Carl vowed never again. Only Tony Gonzalez and Tom Condon are allowed to fleece the Hunt’s bank account under Peterson’s watch. Peterson would rather name Ethan Locke head coach and put Jack Harry in charge of ticket prices than reward Larry Johnson with LaDainian Tomlinson-type money.

And, in many respects, Peterson is holding all of the leverage. Peterson gleefully watched as his new head coach, Herm Edwards, overworked Johnson all last season, giving him an NFL record number of carries. Edwards used Johnson in a way that indicated the Chiefs don’t have long-term plans for Johnson.

Peterson could refuse to offer Johnson a fair contract extension, run L.J. into the ground again this season, slap the franchise tag on him for the 2008 season and discard Johnson in 2009.

That would be the cold-blooded business move. Based on the way Johnson has conducted himself in his years as a Chief, I’m not sure many fans would be sympathetic toward Johnson. He has never pretended to be much of a team guy, so few people will care if the Chiefs treat Johnson in a selfish manner.

Johnson’s leverage is a 2007 holdout. He’s on the books to earn about $1.7 million this year. If he sits out and sacrifices the money, the Chiefs could be the 2006 Oakland Raiders. Those Raiders, despite a very good defense, finished 2-14 and scored just 168 points. They were darn near impossible to watch.

The Chiefs could be that bad. Without Johnson, I honestly don’t know how the Chiefs score a point. By midseason, Arrowhead Stadium would be half empty on game day. By the end of the season, you’d swear the Royals were playing football.

And L.J.’s absence would certainly hamper the development of Brodie Croyle.

The problem for Johnson is that The Last King of Mediocrity could survive a 2-14 season. With Green in Miami and the Chiefs breaking in a new quarterback, Peterson could use 2-14 as a true rebuilding year, and Chiefs fans would be excited about having the No. 1 pick (although the enthusiasm would be tempered by the knowledge that Peterson would draft Todd Blackledge).

Again, Peterson is bunkered in and ready for a losing season. Johnson is not prepared to sacrifice $1.7 million. That’s money he’ll never get back. Plus, he’ll be a year older and still looking for a new contract.

Peterson is a heavy favorite in this fight, but we’ve seen him blow 13-3 regular seasons and home-field advantage, so anything is a possibility.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 06-26-2007 at 05:44 PM.

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

fine, a reciever and a o-lineman. its better than paying him what he wants. if he cries enough the queen will probably pay and the rest of the team willbe the losers in the long run. i say long run because arent we "retooling" for the years to come.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    Look at his numbers bud! How bout a reciever or two?????????????????????:violent-smiley-050:

The complaint about our wide recievers is funny, to me. When you have a tight end, who contends for the NFL lead, in receptions, that is your number one reciever. What you need, at wide reciever, then, is, essentially, a nuber two reciever. From 2001, to 2005 the Chiefs were the nuber one, or two, offense, in the NFL. That is with Eddie Kennison, as our number one wide reciever.

Now, although I didn't approve, the Chiefs have drafted a wide reciever, with their first round pick. How many wide recievers do you want?

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    The complaint about our wide recievers is funny, to me. When you have a tight end, who contends for the NFL lead, in receptions, that is your number one reciever. What you need, at wide reciever, then, is, essentially, a nuber two reciever. From 2001, to 2005 the Chiefs were the nuber one, or two, offense, in the NFL. That is with Eddie Kennison, as our number one wide reciever.

Now, although I didn't approve, the Chiefs have drafted a wide reciever, with their first round pick. How many wide recievers do you want?
    UHHHHH, that's why their called "recievers" and not "Tight Ends"! I can't believe you don't see this!! Eddie Kennison???? Listen to the people on TV talk about the lack of recievers we have. Listen to fans of other teams talk about us having no deep threat. You talk about Gonzo, he would be even MORE valuable if we had someone who could go deep! What part of 8 in the box every play don't you get? That's why LJ is forced to run outside, which is not his fortay! How bout a slot reciever to occupy a linebacker? Most football website list the WR position as the #1 need for the Chiefs followed by O line. Look it up!

UHHHHH, that's why their called "recievers" and not "Tight Ends"! I can't believe you don't see this!! Eddie Kennison???? Listen to the people on TV talk about the lack of recievers we have. Listen to fans of other teams talk about us having no deep threat. You talk about Gonzo, he would be even MORE valuable if we had someone who could go deep! What part of 8 in the box every play don't you get? That's why LJ is forced to run outside, which is not his fortay! How bout a slot reciever to occupy a linebacker? Most football website list the WR position as the #1 need for the Chiefs followed by O line. Look it up!
    I can see both sides of the argument since the Chiefs offense was proficient without any big name WR's. But I lean toward the side that says we needed WR receiver help this year. Looking back on the draft, I think the safer play would have been to get Joe Staley in the first and then either get a WR with the 2nd pick or pick up a free agent like Darrell Jackson. Instead San Fran did this. And I think you'll see it pay huge divedends for them this year.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I can see both sides of the argument since the Chiefs offense was proficient without any big name WR's. But I lean toward the side that says we needed WR receiver help this year. Looking back on the draft, I think the safer play would have been to get Joe Staley in the first and then either get a WR with the 2nd pick or pick up a free agent like Darrell Jackson. Instead San Fran did this. And I think you'll see it pay huge divedends for them this year.
    Year after year goes by and free agent WR's go by. Peterson doesn't want to pay! There were several free agents out there in the last few years I wish we would have taken a stab at. I was watching inside the NFL last season and all 4 of the hosts were almost laughing at the fact that we didn't have anyone to throw the ball to deep!

Year after year goes by and free agent WR's go by. Peterson doesn't want to pay! There were several free agents out there in the last few years I wish we would have taken a stab at. I was watching inside the NFL last season and all 4 of the hosts were almost laughing at the fact that we didn't have anyone to throw the ball to deep!
    The last WR that we had that I liked was Andre Rison. I think that was about 10 years ago.

I can't remember any WR's that we have had that have been above average! Can anybody?

I can't remember any WR's that we have had that have been above average! Can anybody?
    Joe Horn became above average after he left.

Isn't that how it always happens???? LOL! The Cardinals have had umpteen players that have turned into great players after they left here in the 18 or 19 years they have been in Az.

Isn't that how it always happens???? LOL! The Cardinals have had umpteen players that have turned into great players after they left here in the 18 or 19 years they have been in Az.
    Yeah like Jake the Snake. Just kidding.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast