Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Carl Vs. L.j. Is Next Battle Royale

Default Carl Vs. L.j. Is Next Battle Royale

I have to admit had me laughing on this one.

CARL VS. L.J. IS NEXT BATTLE ROYALE
    With Jared Allen eating sushi and promising to lead a wil’-out-free social life, and Trent Green packing his footballs and heading to a South Florida home, there’s only one compelling story line left in the latest episode of “The Last King of Mediocrity.”

Carl Peterson vs. Larry Johnson.

Yes, the main event: King Carl vs. L.J. for all the money in Clark Hunt’s piggybank. This should be far better than De la Hoya-Mayweather, and if the executives running HBO were smart, they’d do a 24/7 documentary on this historic battle rather than taping Kansas City’s training camp.

This is a showdown that has been brewing ever since King Carl hoodwinked Johnson and his agent into signing that ridiculous, Master P-approved rookie contract. This thing should get UFC bloody and ugly.

Before the end of training camp, I fully expect Peterson’s pit bull/mouthpiece Bob Gretz and Johnson’s pit bull/mouthpiece Rhonda Moss to square off in a dogfight that will have Michael “Ron Cujo” Vick flush with envy.

Seriously, I’m so glad Trent Green is finally gone. Bickering over the value and treatment of a filthy-rich, 37-year-old quarterback was a bit boring for my taste, especially when you know Peterson could just as easily botch a fourth-round pick as a sixth.

The Green-Peterson scrap sounded like a Leawood father and son arguing over whether the kid deserves the fully loaded SUV or the sport package. Peterson-Johnson has the promise of getting as rowdy as me and my brother coming to blows over the last pork chop at a Labor Day barbecue.

Right now, my money is on The Last King of Mediocrity.

He’s been in the gym training for this bout ever since Priest Holmes bamboozled the Chiefs out of a final payday and quickly retired to a life of nachos, yearly, inconclusive MRI scans on his spine and baby’s mama drama.

King Carl vowed never again. Only Tony Gonzalez and Tom Condon are allowed to fleece the Hunt’s bank account under Peterson’s watch. Peterson would rather name Ethan Locke head coach and put Jack Harry in charge of ticket prices than reward Larry Johnson with LaDainian Tomlinson-type money.

And, in many respects, Peterson is holding all of the leverage. Peterson gleefully watched as his new head coach, Herm Edwards, overworked Johnson all last season, giving him an NFL record number of carries. Edwards used Johnson in a way that indicated the Chiefs don’t have long-term plans for Johnson.

Peterson could refuse to offer Johnson a fair contract extension, run L.J. into the ground again this season, slap the franchise tag on him for the 2008 season and discard Johnson in 2009.

That would be the cold-blooded business move. Based on the way Johnson has conducted himself in his years as a Chief, I’m not sure many fans would be sympathetic toward Johnson. He has never pretended to be much of a team guy, so few people will care if the Chiefs treat Johnson in a selfish manner.

Johnson’s leverage is a 2007 holdout. He’s on the books to earn about $1.7 million this year. If he sits out and sacrifices the money, the Chiefs could be the 2006 Oakland Raiders. Those Raiders, despite a very good defense, finished 2-14 and scored just 168 points. They were darn near impossible to watch.

The Chiefs could be that bad. Without Johnson, I honestly don’t know how the Chiefs score a point. By midseason, Arrowhead Stadium would be half empty on game day. By the end of the season, you’d swear the Royals were playing football.

And L.J.’s absence would certainly hamper the development of Brodie Croyle.

The problem for Johnson is that The Last King of Mediocrity could survive a 2-14 season. With Green in Miami and the Chiefs breaking in a new quarterback, Peterson could use 2-14 as a true rebuilding year, and Chiefs fans would be excited about having the No. 1 pick (although the enthusiasm would be tempered by the knowledge that Peterson would draft Todd Blackledge).

Again, Peterson is bunkered in and ready for a losing season. Johnson is not prepared to sacrifice $1.7 million. That’s money he’ll never get back. Plus, he’ll be a year older and still looking for a new contract.

Peterson is a heavy favorite in this fight, but we’ve seen him blow 13-3 regular seasons and home-field advantage, so anything is a possibility.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 06-26-2007 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLateGreat#58Fan View Post
    Thats a great idea i am also down for that you dont have to hire me, i will just go drink with him that would be a blast- sorry if I am condoning bad behavior but it still would be fun.

and in a side note for those of you that watch the NFL network am i the only one that has noticed that the only Chiefs games they replay on there are the ones we lost- i.e. Cleveland/KC last year and the Indy/KC home playoff loss shoot out that MAKES ME ABSOLUTELY SICK TO MY STOMACH

You bad behavior condoner you!

It is for this reason I'm glad I do not have NFL Network....Oh, who am I kidding.

LJ has now alluded to a hold out in another Whitlock interview.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chi...ry/158912.html
    Last edited by BoredomReallySux; 06-21-2007 at 12:43 PM.
    You all know me!

-Eddie Murphy (The Nutty Professor)

So am I hearing that some of you don't think LJ is worth big money? It must be because of his moods because you surely can't complain about his stats!

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    So am I hearing that some of you don't think LJ is worth big money? It must be because of his moods because you surely can't complain about his stats!
    Agreed on his stats. He put up big rushing numbers. He also had more attempts than any other RBin the NFL last year and had a decent offensive line to help him out. I think he is a good RB, but his character issues scare me. I can just see his effort level dropping off the face of the earth if he gets guaranteed money. He is a perfect RB for the Herm Edwards style offense though.

Exactly my point admin! Herm is our coach and he LOVES to run the ball! Not sure if there is a better RB in the league with the offense he runs! I am however concerned that over the next couple of years that with as many carries as he gets, he could get injured or just run out of gas!

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

untill he learns to catch passes coming out of the backfield and learns to block, he isnt worth the money.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

And to run the ball, the same way he does, to the inside, when asked to run to the outside. Or, just to fix his overall effort problem.

He catches the ball out of the backfield fine!!! He's not Priest but who is? I will say he needs to improve his blocking!! If you ever saw him in college, he ran the same way then. When he went outside, he waited to get a block. I think he did ok then when he went for 2000+ yards. Hell, LT would have problems running behind this pathetic line and a reciever or two might help! We have one go to guy in Gonzales to throw the ball to and most of the time, he is too busy helping the O line block so it puts a lot of pressure on the RB position. Whoever it is!!!

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

his catching the ball out of the backfield,fine? only if the throw is perfect and he dosent have to make an effort to catch it. i say trade him for two high draft picks. this years offense is more than likey going to be sad to watch. RUN,RUN,PASS,PUNT!
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    his catching the ball out of the backfield,fine? only if the throw is perfect and he dosent have to make an effort to catch it. i say trade him for two high draft picks. this years offense is more than likey going to be sad to watch. RUN,RUN,PASS,PUNT!
    Look at his numbers bud! How bout a reciever or two?????????????????????:violent-smiley-050:

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast