Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Carl Vs. L.j. Is Next Battle Royale

Default Carl Vs. L.j. Is Next Battle Royale

I have to admit had me laughing on this one.

CARL VS. L.J. IS NEXT BATTLE ROYALE
    With Jared Allen eating sushi and promising to lead a wil’-out-free social life, and Trent Green packing his footballs and heading to a South Florida home, there’s only one compelling story line left in the latest episode of “The Last King of Mediocrity.”

Carl Peterson vs. Larry Johnson.

Yes, the main event: King Carl vs. L.J. for all the money in Clark Hunt’s piggybank. This should be far better than De la Hoya-Mayweather, and if the executives running HBO were smart, they’d do a 24/7 documentary on this historic battle rather than taping Kansas City’s training camp.

This is a showdown that has been brewing ever since King Carl hoodwinked Johnson and his agent into signing that ridiculous, Master P-approved rookie contract. This thing should get UFC bloody and ugly.

Before the end of training camp, I fully expect Peterson’s pit bull/mouthpiece Bob Gretz and Johnson’s pit bull/mouthpiece Rhonda Moss to square off in a dogfight that will have Michael “Ron Cujo” Vick flush with envy.

Seriously, I’m so glad Trent Green is finally gone. Bickering over the value and treatment of a filthy-rich, 37-year-old quarterback was a bit boring for my taste, especially when you know Peterson could just as easily botch a fourth-round pick as a sixth.

The Green-Peterson scrap sounded like a Leawood father and son arguing over whether the kid deserves the fully loaded SUV or the sport package. Peterson-Johnson has the promise of getting as rowdy as me and my brother coming to blows over the last pork chop at a Labor Day barbecue.

Right now, my money is on The Last King of Mediocrity.

He’s been in the gym training for this bout ever since Priest Holmes bamboozled the Chiefs out of a final payday and quickly retired to a life of nachos, yearly, inconclusive MRI scans on his spine and baby’s mama drama.

King Carl vowed never again. Only Tony Gonzalez and Tom Condon are allowed to fleece the Hunt’s bank account under Peterson’s watch. Peterson would rather name Ethan Locke head coach and put Jack Harry in charge of ticket prices than reward Larry Johnson with LaDainian Tomlinson-type money.

And, in many respects, Peterson is holding all of the leverage. Peterson gleefully watched as his new head coach, Herm Edwards, overworked Johnson all last season, giving him an NFL record number of carries. Edwards used Johnson in a way that indicated the Chiefs don’t have long-term plans for Johnson.

Peterson could refuse to offer Johnson a fair contract extension, run L.J. into the ground again this season, slap the franchise tag on him for the 2008 season and discard Johnson in 2009.

That would be the cold-blooded business move. Based on the way Johnson has conducted himself in his years as a Chief, I’m not sure many fans would be sympathetic toward Johnson. He has never pretended to be much of a team guy, so few people will care if the Chiefs treat Johnson in a selfish manner.

Johnson’s leverage is a 2007 holdout. He’s on the books to earn about $1.7 million this year. If he sits out and sacrifices the money, the Chiefs could be the 2006 Oakland Raiders. Those Raiders, despite a very good defense, finished 2-14 and scored just 168 points. They were darn near impossible to watch.

The Chiefs could be that bad. Without Johnson, I honestly don’t know how the Chiefs score a point. By midseason, Arrowhead Stadium would be half empty on game day. By the end of the season, you’d swear the Royals were playing football.

And L.J.’s absence would certainly hamper the development of Brodie Croyle.

The problem for Johnson is that The Last King of Mediocrity could survive a 2-14 season. With Green in Miami and the Chiefs breaking in a new quarterback, Peterson could use 2-14 as a true rebuilding year, and Chiefs fans would be excited about having the No. 1 pick (although the enthusiasm would be tempered by the knowledge that Peterson would draft Todd Blackledge).

Again, Peterson is bunkered in and ready for a losing season. Johnson is not prepared to sacrifice $1.7 million. That’s money he’ll never get back. Plus, he’ll be a year older and still looking for a new contract.

Peterson is a heavy favorite in this fight, but we’ve seen him blow 13-3 regular seasons and home-field advantage, so anything is a possibility.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 06-26-2007 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    ...Sounds plausible to me.

touche.
    You can only have one favorite team. There are no "second favorites".
    -- Chris, resident of Arrowhead East (St. Louis)

Quote Originally Posted by stlchief71 View Post
    touche.
    LOL!

It seems like maybe Jared Allen has comeback down to earth a little I think there is no way they dont lock LJ up to a long contract. Maybe we willget Jared Allen back to-that seems to be based on whether he gets his head out of the top 3 DL in the league money. I like him and would love to see another 1-2 punch like we used to have with Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith. I miss seeing them line up gettin after the QB (I might be getting a little teary eyed sorry) How I miss havign a defense- but I think we may be back
    I am excited Lets go KC

Quote Originally Posted by TheLateGreat#58Fan View Post
    It seems like maybe Jared Allen has comeback down to earth a little I think there is no way they dont lock LJ up to a long contract. Maybe we willget Jared Allen back to-that seems to be based on whether he gets his head out of the top 3 DL in the league money. I like him and would love to see another 1-2 punch like we used to have with Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith. I miss seeing them line up gettin after the QB (I might be getting a little teary eyed sorry) How I miss havign a defense- but I think we may be back
    I am excited Lets go KC
    I loved watching those two make Elway quake in his cleats.

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

I am excited Lets go KC
    Allen is coming back down to earth because someone,hopefully his mother, has slapped him in the back of his head. what a PR mess he got himself into by bad mouthing KC. the fans turned against him. also maybe the slapp`n also knocked some sence into him that he isnt as great as his agent says he is.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    Allen is coming back down to earth because someone,hopefully his mother, has slapped him in the back of his head. what a PR mess he got himself into by bad mouthing KC. the fans turned against him. also maybe the slapp`n also knocked some sence into him that he isnt as great as his agent says he is.

Yeah but he has the potential to be great; if he'll just keep his nose clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Yeah but he has the potential to be great; if he'll just keep his nose clean.
    Come on...he's not Michelle Irvin. lol Maybe we should all chip in and rent Jared a limo driver for the season. Or hire me to drink with him and it will be my resposnsibility to get him home. :) I know when to call a cab!!

Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    Come on...he's not Michelle Irvin. lol Maybe we should all chip in and rent Jared a limo driver for the season. Or hire me to drink with him and it will be my resposnsibility to get him home. :) I know when to call a cab!!
    LOL!! Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    Thats a great idea i am also down for that you dont have to hire me, i will just go drink with him that would be a blast- sorry if I am condoning bad behavior but it still would be fun.

and in a side note for those of you that watch the NFL network am i the only one that has noticed that the only Chiefs games they replay on there are the ones we lost- i.e. Cleveland/KC last year and the Indy/KC home playoff loss shoot out that MAKES ME ABSOLUTELY SICK TO MY STOMACH

Thats a great idea i am also down for that you dont have to hire me, i will just go drink with him that would be a blast- sorry if I am condoning bad behavior but it still would be fun.

and in a side note for those of you that watch the NFL network am i the only one that has noticed that the only Chiefs games they replay on there are the ones we lost- i.e. Cleveland/KC last year and the Indy/KC home playoff loss shoot out that MAKES ME ABSOLUTELY SICK TO MY STOMACH
    That is not the bad behaviour. It is the driving home after that is the problem. I saw KC JAX the other day on the network (but it was game of the week, not Replay) But that is what makes us true Chiefs fans. Watching replays even when we know they lose!!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast