Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonzalez displeased with not breaking record on Sunday.

Default Gonzalez displeased with not breaking record on Sunday.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A disappointed Tony Gonzalez wants to know why Kansas City coaches refused to throw a short pass his way in the final minutes Sunday, leaving him 3 yards short of the career tight end receiving record.
    Gonzalez

Gonzalez did have a 10-yard touchdown catch in a 33-19 victory over Denver that snapped the Chiefs' 12-game losing streak. But he wanted to set the receiving record in front of family and fans at Arrowhead Stadium.
    "I had my family out there. I wanted to do it in front of the fans, in a home game," Gonzalez said. "It would have been a great way to do it. I'm disappointed by that, for whatever reason my number wasn't called at times."
    Coach Herm Edwards said the Chiefs didn't want to take a chance by throwing the ball late in the game.
    "After it was a two-possession game, we never got the ball back," Edwards said.
    Gonzalez likely will get the record this week at Carolina, far from the fans who chanted "Ton-Y, Ton-Y" when he lay on the ground, the wind knocked out of him, after making the touchdown catch that stretched the NFL TD record for tight ends to 68.
    "It was really endearing, the way the fans were supporting me like that," he said. "My wife almost started crying. It was a goose-bump situation."
    Gonzalez, a nine-time Pro Bowler, uncharacteristically declined to speak with reporters immediately after the game. On Monday, after a private meeting with Edwards, he remained miffed.
    He was thrown only a few passes as the Chiefs stuck mostly to a ground game that included Larry Johnson running for 198 yards and two touchdowns.
    Gonzalez finished with 47 yards on three catches, including the one that stretched his NFL touchdown record for tight ends to 68. His last catch went for 23 yards in a drive that ended in a field goal and a 26-16 lead with 3:49 left.
    The Broncos drove down for a field goal with 2:06 left and tried an onside kick. The Chiefs got possession, and Johnson carried four straight times for the clinching touchdown.
    When Gonzalez was told he was only 3 yards from Shannon Sharpe's record of 10,060 yards receiving, he asked coaches on the sideline if he could get the ball.
    "I asked anybody who would listen to me at that point," he said.
    He said he had no idea why he wasn't thrown the ball.
    "I've been trying to think about it all last night and this morning. There are a couple of different answers for that, stuff I agree with and stuff I don't agree with."
    Gonzalez insisted there was "no controversy, no bad blood" after meeting with Edwards.
    "I have ultimate respect for Herm, and I think he has that for me, too," Gonzalez said. "We talked about it face-to-face, man-to-man. It is what it is, and hopefully it will make us a better football team. I'm still a little upset about it.
    "But it's something I'll get over," he added. "The victory was more important than anything."
    Edwards agreed there were no hard feelings
    "Tony's fine. We wish we could have got him the record, too," Edwards said. "But the game, the way it unfolded at the end, we really couldn't afford to throw a pass. A minute, 47 seconds left in the football game, it's a one-possession game. You can't throw a pass when you only lead by one score.
    "What if something bad happens when you decide to throw that pass?"
    Had Gonzalez gotten the record, the Chiefs planned to halt the game and make note of the milestone.
    "It's not about the record. The record's going to come, no matter what," Gonzalez said. "It's just that I wanted to do it in front of the fans. I wanted to do it at home. I wanted to do it against the Broncos, our rivals. I felt like we had won the game anyway, and I thought I could just go out and get a little catch. It just didn't work out that way."

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

i would have liked to see him do it at arrowhead as well sometimes it just does not happen that way though

I understand that he wants the ball. But you v got to protect the lead.

Say they DID try to get him the ball...then it couldve replaced a big LJ run to keep the clock rolling. Instead of being incomplete (to stp the clock)or even an int. the donks know who T Gonz is and they would be looking for that play.

Dont worry Tony! Plenty of football season left.

It sucked but I knew there was absolutely NO WAY Herm was going to throw the ball at that point.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

I think everyone is reading way too much into this interview..... of course he was disappointed in not beating mushes record at home against the donkeys! He is human! Anyone of us would have been disappointed that it didn't pan out that way - and he would have been lying if he said he wasn't - this is just the media looking for turmoil to stir in the pot! Kinda pisses me off - we get an awesome win and then we have to focus on something that unfortunately did not happen.... its only 3 yards.... it will happen NEXT WEEK!

Plus, Tony G would rather have a win over his record

It still would have been nice to do it in Arrowhead instead of Charlotte, won't get the standing ovation he deserves. It is the NFC, and not the AFC, might happen (standing ovation) but it should have happened in Arrowhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    It sucked but I knew there was absolutely NO WAY Herm was going to throw the ball at that point.
    I agree, but he should have gotten a few thrown his way in the first half!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    It still would have been nice to do it in Arrowhead instead of Charlotte, won't get the standing ovation he deserves. It is the NFC, and not the AFC, might happen (standing ovation) but it should have happened in Arrowhead.
    I think just about any stadium in the league will applaud Tony when he gets the record. If they don't, then they aren't football fans.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    I think just about any stadium in the league will applaud Tony when he gets the record. If they don't, then they aren't football fans.
    Exactly, I know a lot of people don't like Shannon Sharpe, and yes he does sound funny on CBS, but I know he's a good guy and is good friends with Gonzo. I really respect what his ability was on the football field, and could care less that he played for a dirty Bronco team. I cheered for him when he got all those records, just like I cheered for Gonzo, regardless of teams. I know I'll be cheering for Gonzo again when he breaks yet another record!
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast